So, it begins this week...JMS is taking Kal on a hard-travelin' hero journey across the country to reconnect after losing...again!...his people.  Will it be awesome or cringe-y...or both?  Let's take the trip together!

Views: 586

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Two big points have already been brought up. While Superman listening the girl considering suicide was a good scene, it did seem a bit of a repeat from All-Star Superman. And, geez, did his first big encounter with people in a poor neighborhood HAVE to be drug dealers from 1980s central casting?

On the other hand, after the New Krypton story, this is a nice change of pace. There have been almost 75 years of Superman stories; one following him around talking to regular folks hasn't really been done...at least beyond a one-shot tale here or there. I hope JMS finds ways to inject a bit more humor, this could get pretty long if it stays so earnest the whole time. I think, though, that this storyline comes from a more mature thinking about superheroes and Superman in particular. Who hasn't watched or read a horrible news story and wished, just for a moment, that a being like Superman had been there to help or even that we had his powers and had been able to do something? I think, ultimately, what JMS is going for is that we don't have to have Superman's powers...there are a lot of hurt and lonely people out there and, through these stories about Superman, I believe JMS is trying to inspire us all to do stop sometimes and look beyond ourselves to help someone else. Studies have shown that an effective treatment for depression is volunteering...maybe these comics will do for some what Prozac can't always do.
Since JMS is writing Superman now, does that mean Marvel is free to negate some of his Spider-Man stuff and will he ever finish "The Twelve"?
Yes, and probably not.

Philip Portelli said:
Since JMS is writing Superman now, does that mean Marvel is free to negate some of his Spider-Man stuff and will he ever finish "The Twelve"?
Kal's next stop is Detroit...
Rich Lane said:
No, don't get me wrong; I actually enjoyed this issue a good deal. I just always worry about ham-fisted moralizing creeping into these kinds of stories.

So how about that last page, huh? "I'm not a hero, but if people want to call me one ..." Good grief!
I think it's funny that Gump keeps being brought up in articles and comments about this...as if the journey to find America wasn't an established storytelling device waaaaaaay before that.
"Like my mama told me, 'life is like a box of Red Kryptonite. You never know what you'll get.'"

TurningPoint said:
ClarkKent_DC said:
So how about that last page, huh? "I'm not a hero, but if people want to call me one ..." Good grief!

Sheee ... sounds like the Adventures of Forrest Gump ...
I think the notion of hoofing it across the country on foot is fairly much a Gump-ish notion though. Besides, most modern comics readers wouldn't know what you were talking about if you brought up Then Came Bronson.

Doc Beechler said:
I think it's funny that Gump keeps being brought up in articles and comments about this...as if the journey to find America wasn't an established storytelling device waaaaaaay before that.
There's always been stories, myths and legends of the wandering hero. Comes in, saves the day and leaves. "Who was that strange visitor from another planet, with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal man?" "Why, that's the Lone Superman!"
(From a distance....."Up! Up! And awaaaay!"
What about Steinbeck? Or Johnny Appleseed? Or Easy Rider? Or Kerouac? Or Pee-Wee Herman?
... or The Fugitive? Or TV's Incredible Hulk?
Neither of those was a "find America/find yourself" series. Both had the protagonists on the run from something rather than towards.

ClarkKent_DC said:
... or The Fugitive? Or TV's Incredible Hulk?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service