A while back, I logged some week-to-week posts on DC’s digital reprint program through Comixology. It’s been a while, and their digital offerings have matured, so I thought I’d take another look at what they’re adding each week. Currently, they seem to be doing about 30 books a week. I might not list all the issue numbers going forward – if the 90s Superman titles continue moving forward at two of each a week, there’s not much value in listing each issue. But let’s take a look at this week’s, and let’s see where the patterns take us, shall we?

90s Superman: DC is following the 90s Superman titles (soon to be the 2000s Superman, as this week’s titles are from December 1999) pretty quickly, giving us 8 issues of the books every week. There’s a lot of material to get through, but that’s still an admirable clip. We may only have a few more weeks of this, judging by Action Comics (the one title of the bunch that doesn’t change its numbering and continues for a long while) – 761 is the most recent issue, and Action already seems to be in the digital library from 769 on. Superman, Adventures of Superman and Superman: Man of Steel have bigger gaps, though. 

Action Comics 760, 761

Adventures of Superman 574, 575

Superman 152, 153

Man of Steel 95, 96

Arion: 11, 12

DC has been adding two issues of Arion: Lord of Atlantis a week for the last 6 weeks. There are 35 issues and a special, so there's a way to go before the series is completed.

DC Comics Presents: 75, 76

DCCP started out at a faster pace, but has been going two a week for a little while now. There are about 20 issues to go. Bonus: More Arion this week, in issue 75!

Guy Gardner: Warrior: 33

11 issues to go.

Huntress: 19, 4-issue 1994 series

We wrap up the Cavalieri/Staton ongoing that introduced Helena Bertinelli, and then power through a Chuck Dixon mini from 1994. Will Huntress return next week, or will we move on?

Justice League America (Bwa-ha-ha) 51, 52

This one has a ways to go before having everything available.

Manhunter: 34

Four more issues till it’s all there!

Mister Miracle: 23-25

This wraps up the 70s run – Kirby and then Marshall Rogers, it’s all there! (I think DC also recently wrapped the 70s Return of the New Gods run, too.)

Superman (Bronze Age): 233

This is an interesting one. The Kryptonite Nevermore cover – I’m surprised it wasn’t available before this. Will DC continue from here? Their 70s Superman offerings on Comixology are paltry.

Wanderers: 7, 8

This 80s Legion spinoff ran 13 issues, so we’re almost there.

Wonder Woman (Silver Age): 130, 131

DC has been making silver age Wonder Woman stories available, probably wishing to expand their catalog in anticipation of the movie. At this point the silver age issues go from 112-131, with a couple of gaps.

Swamp Thing (Diggle/Dysart run): 25

4 more issues to go.

Trigger: 5

This Vertigo sci-fi series lasted 8 issues. I don’t remember it at all.

That’s a pretty exhaustive look at this week’s offerings. Next week, I’ll probably just note new additions (what will replace Mister Miracle? The '89 and '96 series have already been collected, so we might be in for something new. And there might be more Huntress comics that haven't been reprinted yet, but Comixology has a bunch of them listed already, and the Bat-universe is so sprawling it's tough to search), unexpected omissions, breaks from the patterns, and go forward from there. 

And to make things easy to follow:
Week 2. (April 6, 2017)

Week 3 (April 13, 2017)

Week 4 (April 20, 2017)

Week 5 (April 27, 2017)

Week 6 (May 4, 2017)

Week 7 (May 11, 2017)

Week 8 (May 18, 2017)

Week 9 (May 25, 2017)

Week 10 (June 1, 2017) -- All the golden age Wonder Woman goodness!

Week 11 (June 8, 2017)

Week 12 (June 15, 2017)

Week 13 (June 22, 2017)

Week 14 (June 29, 2017)

Week 15 (July 6, 2017)

Week 16 (July 13, 2017) -- Our Worlds at War! Underworld Unleashed!

Week 17 (July 20, 2017) -- The Great Ten! More Wonder Woman!

Week 18 (July 27, 2017) -- Batman Confidential and Deathblow? Young Heroes in Love?? Doom Patrol!

Week 19 (Aug 3, 2017) -- Some Bronze-age Batman!

Week 20 (Aug 10, 2017) -- Loeb/Sale Challengers begins!

Week 21 (Aug 17, 2017) -- Silver Age Challs!

MIDWEEK SALE BLAST (Aug 22, 2017): Wildstorm!

Week 22 (Aug 24, 2017) -- Holding pattern...

Week 23 (Aug 31, 2017) -- chugging along

Week 24 (Sept 7, 2017) -- Same old, but with newer Challengers

Week 25 (Sept 14, 2017) -- Baron/Jones Deadman debuts

Week 26 (Sept 21, 2017) -- Holding steady, with more Deadman

Week 27 (Sept 28, 2017) -- Deadman in Action Comics Weekly?

Week 28 (Oct 5, 2017) -- A slow swerve into Batman

Week 29 (Oct 5, 2017) -- Doom Patrol finishes in the smallest week ever

The Gap List: a list of unexplained or awkward skips.

Views: 2834

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, yeah. Luckily, they're not regular comics size, so I haven't tried to put them into a box in any kind of order. 

Here's another one: Vixen. She's really easy, since she didn't have many appearances before the more modern era.

Her DC Comics Presents appearance (#68) is available, as are her appearances in the Ostrander/Yale Suicide Squad, which is available in its entirety on Comixology. I normally don't do group appearances, but Vixen doesn't have many solo appearances to collect; her first series was in 2009 (and is available).

Also, about half of her run in JLA Detroit is available. The team was together for almost 30 issues (JLA 233-261, plus an annual), and of those, there's a year-long gap, from 245-257.

I can't recall any other notable Vixen appearances from the last century, but feel free to set me straight on any I missed! 

She was originally intended for her own series, and a first issue was done which was included in Cancelled Comic Cavalcade. Gerry Conway wrote and Bob Oksner pencilled. Her debut was in Action Comics #521, in a Superman story pencilled by Curt Swan.

Oh, good call -- I knew about Cancelled Comics Cavalcade, but I didn't know where she'd appeared before DCCP otherwise. I think DCCP was only her second appearance.

Action 521 isn't available on Comixology yet.

And heck, I can also knock Steel out, too. His grandfather, retroactively called Commander Steel, had a 5-issue series (called Steel)  in the 70s; that's not available, although his subsequent appearances in All-Star Squadron are.

The younger Steel was part of JLA Detroit, and shares the same gaps in coverage (JLA 245-257) that Vixen does. It looks like both Steels show up in a Crisis crossover issue of Infinity Inc (#19), but it's not available.

I think the Commander Steel name was one of Roy Thomas's Golden Age homages.

Steel was another series with an unused issue in Cancelled Comic Cavalcade. Thomas incorporated it into All-Star Squadron #8-#9.

Oh, wow, I'd never heard of the Canadian Commander Steel!

And there's practically nothing of the early Rip Hunter: Time Master stories on Comixology. His Silver Age series, 1-29, is not available, nor are the four issues of Showcase that preceded it (20, 21, 25, and 26). 

Action Comics 552 and 553 are available, however, as are DC Comics Presents 77 & 78, featuring the Forgotten Heroes (and Forgotten Villains). 

There's also a late 80s Time Masters series, and a Time Masters: Vanishing Point series that are both available. Plus he appeared in Geoff Johns's Booster Gold revival from back in 2007, which is also online.

Looks like it’s another easy week for DC Comixology releases, with only continuations of the current runs appearing, and no new series getting started. Just 20 issues this week, as opposed to the usual 25-30.

The 1991 Jeph Loeb/Tim Sale Challengers of the Unknown miniseries wraps up with issue 8.

The Silver Age Doom Patrol gets 4 more issues, 96-99. (If we keep going at the four-a-week clip, we’ll wrap up Doom Patrol with issue 124 in 6 or 7 weeks.) We also get one more issue of Silver Age Adam Strange goodness with Mystery in Space #65.

From the Bronze Age, we have two more issues of The Brave & the Bold: 100 and 101, featuring Batman team-ups with “4 Famous Co-Stars” (Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Black Canary, and Robin) and Metamorpho.

And then in post-Crisis, we’ve got the usual suspects: 3 issues of Lobo (40-42), 3 issues of Starman (29-31), 2 more issues of Young Heroes in Love (11 & 12), 1 issue of JLA (77), and 3 issues of Justice League International (53-55).

At this rate, we’ll have five more weeks before Starman concludes, and Lobo should be around for another 2 months. Justice League America ends the Dan Jurgens run here, and if it continues will begin its Dan Vado era next week, and hit some already-existing issues in 9 weeks (starting with #86); at three a week, it’ll only be a month or so before Justice League International will run its course with issue 68 (already on Comixology for some reason, though the remaining run up to 67 is not.) Young Heroes in Love ends with issue 18, so that should only be three weeks away.

Here's another one of DC's TV stars... one of the tougher ones to track down: Green Arrow. I'm sure this isn't exhaustive -- for one thing, I'm leaving out his JLA appearances. In this case, I'm listing the titles & issues he appeared in, and then following it up with the issues Comixology has in bold. When I'm giving a range here, it's only meant to delineate the beginning and the end of GA's run in the title. There may be some issues in which he didn't appear; in Action Comics, for instance, he was a rotating backup with the Atom and the Human Target. 

Also, by the time the New 52 hit, DC was putting everything online, so there's no need to catalog those.

More Fun Comics: 73-107 – comixology has #73.

Leading Comics 1-14 (7 Soldiers) NONE

Adventure: 103-269 : 247 only

Action backups: 421-458 (sporadic, alternating with the Atom and the Human Target): 457 only

World’s Finest: 178, 210, 244-284  -- 250 and 269 only

GL/GA: 76-89, 90-122: Comixology has 76 through 93, aside from 88, a reprint issue

1983 Green Arrow 4-issue mini -- COMPLETE

Longbow Hunters -- COMPLETE

1989 Green Arrow Grell series (Dixon takes over): 1-12, 21-24, 80-100, 110-111, 134-135

Brave & Bold 6-issue miniseries costarring The Question and The Butcher: NONE

2001 Green Arrow – all 75

Green Arrow/Black Canary All 32, plus the wedding special

Brave & Bold: 50, 71, 85, 106, 129, 130, 136, 144, 168, 185 – has 85 only

DC Comics Presents: 20, 54 -- BOTH available

Also World's Finest Comics #7 to #140, alternating with Aquaman after #133. Comixology currently has #71-#116 listed but I think most of these aren't complete issues. #71 is the only issue from this range priced at $1.99, and is listed as having 28 pages, so it might all be there. The others are priced at 99c and the ones I checked are listed as having 13 pages, so they seem to have the Superman/Batman stories only. Their credits columns list the creators of all the features, so they can't be trusted.

Also GL/GA back-ups in The Flash #217-#219.

Also Detective Comics #521-#525, #527-#554, #556-#567 in the 1980s : #525, #527-#545, #547-#554, #556-#562, #564-#567.

Further appearances include Detective Comics #466 (his instalment of the Calculator serial; he was also in the conclusion in #468); Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane #29; The Joker #4 (in a collected edition); team-ups with Superman in Action Comics in the 1970s; and a retelling of his origin in DC Super Stars #17 (listed; Comixology spells the title with a hypen). He was also in the superheroes vs supervillains baseball story in DC Super Stars #10.

I haven't bought anything from Comixology. If you're thinking of doing so you might find sections headed "Graphic Novels" and "Bundles" worth checking. For example, a collection of the Denny O'Neil/Neal Adams GL/GA stories is included under "Graphic Novels". It includes the stories from The Flash, and the solo GL back-up by O'Neil/Adams from The Flash #226.

Thanks, Luke! I can't believe I left off those Flash issues, and the Detective backups -- both of which crossed my mind as I was putting the list together, but which I obviously didn't type into my document quickly enough to forget about them a moment later. Those backups in Detective were really my first experience of Green Arrow as a solo character. 

I hadn't realized about the early World's Finest appearances. Man, GA showed up everywhere!

I was happy to see those 80s Brave & Bold issues pop up a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, the transfers are terrible. I don't understand why they release these. It seems inevitable that they will touch them up at some point and irritate people who bought these inferior versions.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service