A while back, I logged some week-to-week posts on DC’s digital reprint program through Comixology. It’s been a while, and their digital offerings have matured, so I thought I’d take another look at what they’re adding each week. Currently, they seem to be doing about 30 books a week. I might not list all the issue numbers going forward – if the 90s Superman titles continue moving forward at two of each a week, there’s not much value in listing each issue. But let’s take a look at this week’s, and let’s see where the patterns take us, shall we?

90s Superman: DC is following the 90s Superman titles (soon to be the 2000s Superman, as this week’s titles are from December 1999) pretty quickly, giving us 8 issues of the books every week. There’s a lot of material to get through, but that’s still an admirable clip. We may only have a few more weeks of this, judging by Action Comics (the one title of the bunch that doesn’t change its numbering and continues for a long while) – 761 is the most recent issue, and Action already seems to be in the digital library from 769 on. Superman, Adventures of Superman and Superman: Man of Steel have bigger gaps, though. 

Action Comics 760, 761

Adventures of Superman 574, 575

Superman 152, 153

Man of Steel 95, 96

Arion: 11, 12

DC has been adding two issues of Arion: Lord of Atlantis a week for the last 6 weeks. There are 35 issues and a special, so there's a way to go before the series is completed.

DC Comics Presents: 75, 76

DCCP started out at a faster pace, but has been going two a week for a little while now. There are about 20 issues to go. Bonus: More Arion this week, in issue 75!

Guy Gardner: Warrior: 33

11 issues to go.

Huntress: 19, 4-issue 1994 series

We wrap up the Cavalieri/Staton ongoing that introduced Helena Bertinelli, and then power through a Chuck Dixon mini from 1994. Will Huntress return next week, or will we move on?

Justice League America (Bwa-ha-ha) 51, 52

This one has a ways to go before having everything available.

Manhunter: 34

Four more issues till it’s all there!

Mister Miracle: 23-25

This wraps up the 70s run – Kirby and then Marshall Rogers, it’s all there! (I think DC also recently wrapped the 70s Return of the New Gods run, too.)

Superman (Bronze Age): 233

This is an interesting one. The Kryptonite Nevermore cover – I’m surprised it wasn’t available before this. Will DC continue from here? Their 70s Superman offerings on Comixology are paltry.

Wanderers: 7, 8

This 80s Legion spinoff ran 13 issues, so we’re almost there.

Wonder Woman (Silver Age): 130, 131

DC has been making silver age Wonder Woman stories available, probably wishing to expand their catalog in anticipation of the movie. At this point the silver age issues go from 112-131, with a couple of gaps.

Swamp Thing (Diggle/Dysart run): 25

4 more issues to go.

Trigger: 5

This Vertigo sci-fi series lasted 8 issues. I don’t remember it at all.

That’s a pretty exhaustive look at this week’s offerings. Next week, I’ll probably just note new additions (what will replace Mister Miracle? The '89 and '96 series have already been collected, so we might be in for something new. And there might be more Huntress comics that haven't been reprinted yet, but Comixology has a bunch of them listed already, and the Bat-universe is so sprawling it's tough to search), unexpected omissions, breaks from the patterns, and go forward from there. 

And to make things easy to follow:
Week 2. (April 6, 2017)

Week 3 (April 13, 2017)

Week 4 (April 20, 2017)

Week 5 (April 27, 2017)

Week 6 (May 4, 2017)

Week 7 (May 11, 2017)

Week 8 (May 18, 2017)

Week 9 (May 25, 2017)

Week 10 (June 1, 2017) -- All the golden age Wonder Woman goodness!

Week 11 (June 8, 2017)

Week 12 (June 15, 2017)

Week 13 (June 22, 2017)

Week 14 (June 29, 2017)

Week 15 (July 6, 2017)

Week 16 (July 13, 2017) -- Our Worlds at War! Underworld Unleashed!

Week 17 (July 20, 2017) -- The Great Ten! More Wonder Woman!

Week 18 (July 27, 2017) -- Batman Confidential and Deathblow? Young Heroes in Love?? Doom Patrol!

Week 19 (Aug 3, 2017) -- Some Bronze-age Batman!

Week 20 (Aug 10, 2017) -- Loeb/Sale Challengers begins!

Week 21 (Aug 17, 2017) -- Silver Age Challs!

MIDWEEK SALE BLAST (Aug 22, 2017): Wildstorm!

Week 22 (Aug 24, 2017) -- Holding pattern...

Week 23 (Aug 31, 2017) -- chugging along

Week 24 (Sept 7, 2017) -- Same old, but with newer Challengers

Week 25 (Sept 14, 2017) -- Baron/Jones Deadman debuts

Week 26 (Sept 21, 2017) -- Holding steady, with more Deadman

Week 27 (Sept 28, 2017) -- Deadman in Action Comics Weekly?

Week 28 (Oct 5, 2017) -- A slow swerve into Batman

Week 29 (Oct 5, 2017) -- Doom Patrol finishes in the smallest week ever

The Gap List: a list of unexplained or awkward skips.

Views: 3906

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think I was paying attention to the Infinity Inc, series. Always a personal favorite of mine. 

Secret Origins  as well, that is a series I really wish they would bring back.

I also figure I already have the B&B and World's Finest issues as well. If no one else does, then I recommend you get them.

That Doctor Fate team-up in Brave & Bold 156 was my my first issue of the title, IIRC. I'm sure Dr. Fate was a bigger draw for me than Batman. I loved the revived All-Star Comics!

Another week, another raft of old DC books digitized on Comixology! There are 22 this week...let's see what we've got.

From the Golden Age, we've got five issues of Superman from 1946 (#39 to 43), and four issues of Batman starting in 1947 (#41 to 44). Looks like everything's included for these issues -- which makes sense, since they're not anthologies like Action and Detective. All thriller, no filler! In these issues, Batman faces space aliens, the Joker, Catwoman, and the Penguin, while Superman faces off against "The Mxyztplk-Susie Alliance!" (shudder!)

We've also got Silver Age Superman in Action Comics 332-335...including a Supergirl 80-page Giant in issue 334. We also get to see Superman fight Braniac and Luthor, and an imaginary story that tells us what would have happened if Supergirl had arrived on Earth before Superbaby!

Next up are three more issues of Infinity Inc, 44-46, bringing the series closer to its conclusion with #53. Also, we've got three more issues of Secret Origins -- issues 37, 40, and 42  -- which piggybacks over some existing issues, leaving only a run of eight more books to the series' conclusion at #50. Of course, issue #4 (Firestorm) has somehow not yet been made available (It's already on the Gap List). This week's batch feature the Legion of Substitute Heroes/Dr. Light (both played for laughs at the time), the All-Ape Issue (Grodd, Congorilla, and Detective Chimp), and Phantom Girl and the Grim Ghost. I'm adding 

We've also got Legion interest in two Annuals: Legion of Super-Heroes Annual 6, and Legionnaires Annual 2 -- both "Year One"-themed annuals from 1995. 

Also, out of the blue, we've got Batman Family #6. It looks like it includes new Batgirl and Robin stories from Elliot S. Maggin/Jose Delbo and Bob Rozakis/Irv Novick, plus reprints of a Batman & Robin story and an Alfred story from the 40s. 

DC's big sale this week focuses on Scott Snyder - written comics. He's best known for Batman these days, but this could be a good chance to check out American Vampire if you haven't yet done so. And his complete New-52 Swamp Thing run (including the Animal Man crossover) is available in one volume... so if you're in the mood to check out that series, go for the complete volume  rather than the individual trade paperbacks, also on sale for roughly the same price.  

To date, only 7 of the 20 issues of Batman Family have been made available on Comixology -- 1, 6, 9, 11, 13, 14, and 17. After its 20-issue run, the Batman Family anthology format moved over to Detective Comics, which ran as a Dollar Comic from issue 481 to issue 495. None of those issues has yet appeared on Comixology.

And now... more DC backlist on Comixology! We've got 20 items today, including a few unexpected ones!

DC has abandoned the Superman and Batman titles for the time being, but we've still got silver age Action Comics -- four more in the run, from 336 to 339. We've got Supergirl and Comet! We've got Braniac! We've got Muto -- the Monarch of Menace! We've got Uncle Pennybags Superman and Hobo Superman! 

We've also got more Batman Family... in an appropriately batty order. Issues 8, 16, and 19 are now available... as are issues 482 and 483 of Detective Comics, which continued the format. (But not 481, where the format change started.) Still, in two weeks, DC has doubled the amount of Batman Family/TecBF issues available!

Also, seemingly out of the blue, there's Teen Titans 48, the first of that book's mid-70's revival (which started with issue 44) to be reprinted. Which leads me to believe that DC is bolstering the Joker's Daughter appearances for some reason -- a lot of the recent Batman Family books have featured her, and she's on the cover of this Titans book, too. So maybe the reprinting is not so batty after all! I haven't been able to find a good chronology for the character (created by Bob Rozakis and Irv Novick) yet, so I don't know what's missing in her appearances so far.

We also get some golden age Superman & Batman with the release of World's Finest issues 19-23. From the price and the page count, it looks like we get the whole books -- not just the Superman and Batman stories, but Green Arrow, Zatara, Boy Commandos, and Johnny Everyman!  

Infinity Inc. inches closer to its conclusion at #53 with the release of issues 47-49. 
We also get two more issues of Secret Origins, 43 and 45,  featuring Hawk & Dove, and Blackhawk/El Diablo, respectively. Issue 44, featuring Batman vs. The Mud Pack, was skipped, and is going onto the Gap List. Hopefully that will be rectified next week.

DC's Comixology sale this week is DC on TV -- collections of Preacher, Lucifer, iZombie, Green Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Black Lightning, Batman 66, Wonder Woman 77, and more are on sale. If you're looking to score a couple 99-cent issues of Rip Hunter, Time Master, now's your chance! (And speaking of Chance, there's some Human Target books on sale, too!)

As I said, I don't think I have a complete rundown of the Joker's Daughter/Duela Dent character from the 70s. But the recent Batman Family releases all had stories reprinted in the trade paperback Batman Arkham: Joker's Daughter. It reprinted material from Batman Family 6, 8, 9, 16, and 19, as well as Detective Comics 482 and 483 and Teen Titans 48. 

So that answers that! It's nice that we're getting all the other material in those books as a consequence. 

Batman Family #2 was all-reprint but really good reprints, #3 had a neat story with a very important ending while #4 and #5 had solo Batgirl and Robin stories (no Dynamite Duo).

I've noticed the stuff from the 90's has pretty much ground to a halt, and instead we are getting a lot more Silver Age and Golden Age stuff, which has me on hold.

I LOVE the late 80's early 90's Secret Origin series, but I have duplicates of all of those issues already.

The Joker's Daughter/Harlequin, mostly appeared in stories written by Bob Rozakis. She first appeared in three stories in Batman Family as the Joker's Daughter. After the twist reveal of her true identity - see next paragraph - she was added to the cast of Teen Titans, and shortly after became the Harlequin. The GCD tells me after the title's cancellation she appeared in a handful of Robin stories in Batman Family/Detective Comics.

She was really - spoiler warning - Duela Dent, the daughter of Two-Face. Now, if she wasn't born until after Harvey Dent became Two-Face she couldn't be the same age as Robin. Rozakis's view was this could be glossed over. (I think he should have said she was born before Harvey became Two-Face.)

Rozakis wrote the script for a Harlequin back-up story that was supposed to appear in The Vixen #1, but the issue was one of those torpedoed by the DC Implosion. It can be read here. (As part of the DC Explosion DC meant to increase the price of its titles, add story pages, and use the extra pages to run back-up strips. Some issues like this appeared, and a number of back-up stories prepared at this point appeared in various places later. DC reenacted the plan when it increased the length of its titles in 1980.)

In Tales of the Teen Titans #50 Wolfman and Perez did a bit where Dick talked to Duela at Donna's wedding. She was now overweight. He said he'd figured out she was too old to be Two-Face's daughter. She teased him for not having figured this out sooner and wouldn't say who she was.

A post-Crisis version of the character appeared in Team Titans. She was supposed to have mental problems. I've not seen those stories.

DC also created a new Joker's Daughter during New 52, and that caused a price hike in her first few appearances. I don't know if they stayed up or not.

Thanks for all the info, guys!

It's the new 52 version that prompted the collection of her original appearances; it's the new version on the cover of the TPB. 

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

DC also created a new Joker's Daughter during New 52, and that caused a price hike in her first few appearances. I don't know if they stayed up or not.

Okay, I'm an idiot. I looked again and I see a lot of Infinity, Inc.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

I've noticed the stuff from the 90's has pretty much ground to a halt, and instead we are getting a lot more Silver Age and Golden Age stuff, which has me on hold.

I LOVE the late 80's early 90's Secret Origin series, but I have duplicates of all of those issues already.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service