A while back, I logged some week-to-week posts on DC’s digital reprint program through Comixology. It’s been a while, and their digital offerings have matured, so I thought I’d take another look at what they’re adding each week. Currently, they seem to be doing about 30 books a week. I might not list all the issue numbers going forward – if the 90s Superman titles continue moving forward at two of each a week, there’s not much value in listing each issue. But let’s take a look at this week’s, and let’s see where the patterns take us, shall we?

90s Superman: DC is following the 90s Superman titles (soon to be the 2000s Superman, as this week’s titles are from December 1999) pretty quickly, giving us 8 issues of the books every week. There’s a lot of material to get through, but that’s still an admirable clip. We may only have a few more weeks of this, judging by Action Comics (the one title of the bunch that doesn’t change its numbering and continues for a long while) – 761 is the most recent issue, and Action already seems to be in the digital library from 769 on. Superman, Adventures of Superman and Superman: Man of Steel have bigger gaps, though. 

Action Comics 760, 761

Adventures of Superman 574, 575

Superman 152, 153

Man of Steel 95, 96

Arion: 11, 12

DC has been adding two issues of Arion: Lord of Atlantis a week for the last 6 weeks. There are 35 issues and a special, so there's a way to go before the series is completed.

DC Comics Presents: 75, 76

DCCP started out at a faster pace, but has been going two a week for a little while now. There are about 20 issues to go. Bonus: More Arion this week, in issue 75!

Guy Gardner: Warrior: 33

11 issues to go.

Huntress: 19, 4-issue 1994 series

We wrap up the Cavalieri/Staton ongoing that introduced Helena Bertinelli, and then power through a Chuck Dixon mini from 1994. Will Huntress return next week, or will we move on?

Justice League America (Bwa-ha-ha) 51, 52

This one has a ways to go before having everything available.

Manhunter: 34

Four more issues till it’s all there!

Mister Miracle: 23-25

This wraps up the 70s run – Kirby and then Marshall Rogers, it’s all there! (I think DC also recently wrapped the 70s Return of the New Gods run, too.)

Superman (Bronze Age): 233

This is an interesting one. The Kryptonite Nevermore cover – I’m surprised it wasn’t available before this. Will DC continue from here? Their 70s Superman offerings on Comixology are paltry.

Wanderers: 7, 8

This 80s Legion spinoff ran 13 issues, so we’re almost there.

Wonder Woman (Silver Age): 130, 131

DC has been making silver age Wonder Woman stories available, probably wishing to expand their catalog in anticipation of the movie. At this point the silver age issues go from 112-131, with a couple of gaps.

Swamp Thing (Diggle/Dysart run): 25

4 more issues to go.

Trigger: 5

This Vertigo sci-fi series lasted 8 issues. I don’t remember it at all.

That’s a pretty exhaustive look at this week’s offerings. Next week, I’ll probably just note new additions (what will replace Mister Miracle? The '89 and '96 series have already been collected, so we might be in for something new. And there might be more Huntress comics that haven't been reprinted yet, but Comixology has a bunch of them listed already, and the Bat-universe is so sprawling it's tough to search), unexpected omissions, breaks from the patterns, and go forward from there. 

And to make things easy to follow:
Week 2. (April 6, 2017)

Week 3 (April 13, 2017)

Week 4 (April 20, 2017)

Week 5 (April 27, 2017)

Week 6 (May 4, 2017)

Week 7 (May 11, 2017)

Week 8 (May 18, 2017)

Week 9 (May 25, 2017)

Week 10 (June 1, 2017) -- All the golden age Wonder Woman goodness!

Week 11 (June 8, 2017)

Week 12 (June 15, 2017)

Week 13 (June 22, 2017)

Week 14 (June 29, 2017)

Week 15 (July 6, 2017)

Week 16 (July 13, 2017) -- Our Worlds at War! Underworld Unleashed!

Week 17 (July 20, 2017) -- The Great Ten! More Wonder Woman!

Week 18 (July 27, 2017) -- Batman Confidential and Deathblow? Young Heroes in Love?? Doom Patrol!

Week 19 (Aug 3, 2017) -- Some Bronze-age Batman!

Week 20 (Aug 10, 2017) -- Loeb/Sale Challengers begins!

Week 21 (Aug 17, 2017) -- Silver Age Challs!

MIDWEEK SALE BLAST (Aug 22, 2017): Wildstorm!

Week 22 (Aug 24, 2017) -- Holding pattern...

Week 23 (Aug 31, 2017) -- chugging along

Week 24 (Sept 7, 2017) -- Same old, but with newer Challengers

Week 25 (Sept 14, 2017) -- Baron/Jones Deadman debuts

Week 26 (Sept 21, 2017) -- Holding steady, with more Deadman

Week 27 (Sept 28, 2017) -- Deadman in Action Comics Weekly?

Week 28 (Oct 5, 2017) -- A slow swerve into Batman

Week 29 (Oct 5, 2017) -- Doom Patrol finishes in the smallest week ever

The Gap List: a list of unexplained or awkward skips.

Views: 4764

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, man, I knew that was there, but was thinking that was still slightly before your 90's sweet spot. Bring on Scare Tactics!

ARRRGH! 

I just lost my whole writeup, because I was writing it in the comment box instead of a word doc, and I accidentally closed the tab.

So here's a quick recap:

Infinity Inc 50-52: 1 more issue to go!

Secret Origins 46-48: DC's headquarters, Dead Legionaires, and Ambush Bug and a bunch of 50s features (Trigger Twins, Rex the Wonder Dog, Stanley & His Monster). This is the sound of the bottom of the barrel being scraped. 

Action Comics: 3 more silver age issues -- 340, 342, and 344. No idea why 331 and 333 were skipped, but I'm putting them on the Gap List.

DC is going crazy-go-nuts with World's Finest -- nine issues, from 24 to 32. These seem to be full issues, not excerpts. 

There's a one-shot 1999 Superman/Frankenstein mashup, The Superman Monster, by Dan Abnett, Andy Lanning, and Anthony Williams. It seems to be a sequel to their Barman/Jeckyl-Hyde mashup from 1998, Batman: Two Faces, which isn't yet available. 

Also, we get Titans Secret Files and Origins #2. Haven't seen one of those for a while. Adding it to the SF&O list!

DC's having a big Memorial Day sale on Comixology -- there's tons of material from throughout their publishing history. 

Had a really busy week last week and never got to last week's DC Comixology releases. So before I get to this week's, here's a quick rundown of last week's (5/31). 

Action Comics 345-348. 

Brave & Bold 163. Co-starring Black Lightning (and skipping over 162)

Detective 490. A dollar issue... a trend that will continue!

Infinity Inc. 53, Annuals 1 & 2, Special 1. This completes the series, I'm pretty sure.

R.E.B.E.L.S. '94 1 & 2. This series becomes REBELS 95 and 96, lasting until issue 17.

Secret Origins 49 and 50, plus Annuals 1 & 3. (Annual 2 was already available) This brings us to the end of the series, but there are still a few issues missing from the run.

Superman: Kal

Superman: Speeding Bullets

World of Krypton 1-3. The complete series... and for a look at how the comics business has changed, check out the covers to issues 1 and 3. That third issue cover would certainly be on the first issue these days.

And here are this week's newcomers to Comixology!

First, as part of DC's Justice League sale, are the first two issues of Action Comics Weekly, 601 and 602. These showed up on Tuesday, and I almost missed them. They're 99 cents each right now, but will go up to $1.99 soon.

Now for the regulars:

Four more issues of Silver Age Action Comics: 349, 350, 353, and 354. So we're covering the era, but not doing every issue for some reason. 

Then we've got 3 more dollar issues of Detective Comics: 491, 494, and 495. Likewise, these are from roughly the same period, but a little scattershot. (We got 490 last week, and also got some Tec dollar issues in the 480s a couple of weeks ago, in the reprinting of Joker's Daughter books.)

Also in the dollar comics, we've got Superman Family 182 (the service's first issue of Superman Family) and four consecutive issues of World's Finest (256-259). Superman Family continued Jimmy Olsen's numbering, from 164 to 222. These four entries almost double the amount of World's Finest dollar issues available. 

We've also got two more issues of R.E.B.E.L.S. '95, issues 3 &4, probably spurred by the reappearance of Vril Dox in the DCU.

We've also got 3 issues of bronze age Superman: 248, 257, and 266.  I'm not sure why these issues were singled out, but I'm not complaining. 

There are also two Elseworlds specials: Superman: Distant Fires (by Howard Chaykin and Gil Kane) and Superman: A Nation Divided (by Roger Stern and Eduardo Baretto).

As I mentioned DC's current sale is promoting the new Justice League series...and among the items on sale are the New Frontier Deluxe Edition, for just $5.99. That's the whole story (not half of it, as with some collections), plus a bunch of behind the scenes art. I try not to double-dip, but I think I might have to here. Also noteworthy: The first 11 issues (the only ones available) of Green Lantern: Mosaic are available for 99 cents a pop. Good stuff there, and not something you see on sale often.

As a  Gil Kane can I would say it but Superman Distant Fires is IMHO an undiscovered gem.

Highly recommended.

Prior to #182 The Superman Family mixed new stories and reprints. Jimmy, Lois or Supergirl took turns in the new slot. From #182 it switched to all-new content.

I find I've read most of #182's stories, but not all. Bob Toomey's "Krypto" series started in the issue. It's a minor classic, but I've not read this instalment. In the "Fabulous World of Krypton" instalment Clark tells Jon Ross the story of Krypton's equivalent of Christmas. It's the best story I've read by Paul Kupperberg.

The three Superman issues are from the Swanderson era, when Murphy Anderson was Curt Swan's regular inker.

#248=the first Galactic Golem story. #266=the sequel to the Dr Phoenix story in #263, which is better read first.

The issues had "Fabulous World of Krypton" back-ups. #257's was a kind of proto-"Tales of the Green Lantern Corps" story about Tomar-Re and Krypton.

World's Finest Comics #256-#259=the first four issues after Bob Haney's run on the lead feature.

The Superman/Batman stories were written by Denny O'Neil. #258's story was a sequel to #256's.

I've read the supporting stories from #256:

-The Green Arrow story was by Gerry Conway and Dick Dillin, and is the one where GA met Black Lightning. The GCD notes it was a lead-in to the Black Lightning series that started the next issue, written by O'Neil.

-The Black Canary story is an ordinary one by Conway and Jose Delbo.

-The Hawkman story is a very weak one by Steve Englehart about the Harpies from Hawkman #8. It was drawn by Murphy Anderson, who drew them originally.

-The Shazam! story was by E. Nelson Bridwell and Don Newton. I don't care for their work from this run. I suppose it lacks the humour I want from this feature.

I've also read the Black Lightning story from #259. Despite the credits (O'Neil, Marshall Rogers on layouts, Mike Nasser finished pencils) it's a weak story with static art.

Thanks for the details, guys!

Personally, I really enjoyed the Don Newton Shazam! stories -- even though I prefer Cap to be a little less realistic on the whole. But I'll take Newton art wherever I can get it.

31 new DC backlist items this week on Comixology, including a lot of new stuff!

First, let's handle the regulars. We've got 4 more issues of Silver Age Action Comics -- issues 356-359 -- which is a consecutive run, but skips 355 to start. 

We've also got REBELS '95 #5 and 6, continuing that run. 

And World's Finest gets another dollar comic, #261 (but again, it leaves #260 out in the cold).

We also get two issues of World's Finest from 1968, issues 174 and 175. These are the first books available from this era, bridging a cap from 1949 (#32) to 1979 (#256). 

And then we've got the other stuff! From the silver age, we get Green Lantern issues 24-27, picking up where the series previously left off. (On the way to the GL/GA pairing in issue 76, the only other issues available so far are 52 and 59.)

Next up is silver age Hawkman 1-3. That's not a surprise: the winged warrior just got his own comic series back. The book ran for 27 issues, from 1964 to 1968, and only issue 18 had been available before. 

We also get the first three issues of the Tony Isabella/Richard Howell Hawkman series from the 80s (that spun out of the miniseries Shadow War of Hawkman). That one lasted 17 issues and a Special.

From the 80s, we get (at long last) three of my favorite issues of The Question, issues 9 through 11. Not only is it a great three-parter, but it introduces Santa Prisca, the island where Bane is from. Again, this is following consecutively from the previous 8 issues, all available.

From the 90s we get the Elseworlds Superman Inc, by Steve Vance and Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez! I might have to pick this one up just for the art. 

And from the late 2000s we have Shadowpact 1-8 -- probably to highlight Detective Chimp's new position in the relaunched Justice League Dark. This book is recent enough that it's hard to believe the issues weren't posted on Comixology upon release. But Comixology's digital comics reader didn't launch until a year later -- 2009 -- and it didn't become ubiquitous for a few years after that. Shadowpact lasted for 25 issues.

Sales-wise, we've got a focus on Robin, with a variety of Batman & Robin trades available for $5.99, and a handful of single issues for 99 cents. If you haven't read Batman & Robin Eternal (as I haven't), now's a good chance: the weekly series is available in two collections for $5.99 apiece, as opposed to the $44.98 the digital collections would cost on a normal week.

I remember collecting (but not exactly reading) this series for awhile. I expect I realized I didn't read that many issues, and eventually just stopped buying it. I was interested in looking through this run at how much the artists changed just in the first eight issues. It started--and I do mean started--with Bill Willingham. I was pleased to see Shawn McManus there toward the end.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

And from the late 2000s we have Shadowpact 1-8 -- probably to highlight Detective Chimp's new position in the relaunched Justice League Dark. This book is recent enough that it's hard to believe the issues weren't posted on Comixology upon release. But Comixology's digital comics reader didn't launch until a year later -- 2009 -- and it didn't become ubiquitous for a few years after that. Shadowpact lasted for 25 issues.

We've got 4 more issues of Silver Age Action Comics -- issues 356-359

In the period the title was divided between "Superman" and "Supergirl", and really a split book.

#353's "Superman" story was the concluding instalment of the Zha-Vam three-parter, by Otto Binder and Wayne Boring. Zha-Vam was semi-modelled after Captain Marvel.

#354's was drawn by Al Plastino, and written by Cary Bates. Captain Incredible was reportedly a parody of Captain Nice.

#355-#357 had a three-parter about a supervillain called the Annihilator, who obtained explosive powers from Kryptonian explosives. Superman couldn't fight him directly as it would have caused a catastrophic blast. This was by Leo Dorfman and Boring. I have the third part. It's on the goofy side.

#358-#359 had a two-parter by Dorfman and Curt Swan I don't know.

We also get two issues of World's Finest from 1968, issues 174 and 175.

The lead story in World's Finest Comics #175 was drawn by Neal Adams, but is a standard Silver Age Weisinger story otherwise. The GCD says it was written by Dorfman. I'm not familiar with #174. Apparently both issues had 17-page lead stories and reprints featuring other heroes in the back.

(corrected)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service