A while back, I logged some week-to-week posts on DC’s digital reprint program through Comixology. It’s been a while, and their digital offerings have matured, so I thought I’d take another look at what they’re adding each week. Currently, they seem to be doing about 30 books a week. I might not list all the issue numbers going forward – if the 90s Superman titles continue moving forward at two of each a week, there’s not much value in listing each issue. But let’s take a look at this week’s, and let’s see where the patterns take us, shall we?

90s Superman: DC is following the 90s Superman titles (soon to be the 2000s Superman, as this week’s titles are from December 1999) pretty quickly, giving us 8 issues of the books every week. There’s a lot of material to get through, but that’s still an admirable clip. We may only have a few more weeks of this, judging by Action Comics (the one title of the bunch that doesn’t change its numbering and continues for a long while) – 761 is the most recent issue, and Action already seems to be in the digital library from 769 on. Superman, Adventures of Superman and Superman: Man of Steel have bigger gaps, though. 

Action Comics 760, 761

Adventures of Superman 574, 575

Superman 152, 153

Man of Steel 95, 96

Arion: 11, 12

DC has been adding two issues of Arion: Lord of Atlantis a week for the last 6 weeks. There are 35 issues and a special, so there's a way to go before the series is completed.

DC Comics Presents: 75, 76

DCCP started out at a faster pace, but has been going two a week for a little while now. There are about 20 issues to go. Bonus: More Arion this week, in issue 75!

Guy Gardner: Warrior: 33

11 issues to go.

Huntress: 19, 4-issue 1994 series

We wrap up the Cavalieri/Staton ongoing that introduced Helena Bertinelli, and then power through a Chuck Dixon mini from 1994. Will Huntress return next week, or will we move on?

Justice League America (Bwa-ha-ha) 51, 52

This one has a ways to go before having everything available.

Manhunter: 34

Four more issues till it’s all there!

Mister Miracle: 23-25

This wraps up the 70s run – Kirby and then Marshall Rogers, it’s all there! (I think DC also recently wrapped the 70s Return of the New Gods run, too.)

Superman (Bronze Age): 233

This is an interesting one. The Kryptonite Nevermore cover – I’m surprised it wasn’t available before this. Will DC continue from here? Their 70s Superman offerings on Comixology are paltry.

Wanderers: 7, 8

This 80s Legion spinoff ran 13 issues, so we’re almost there.

Wonder Woman (Silver Age): 130, 131

DC has been making silver age Wonder Woman stories available, probably wishing to expand their catalog in anticipation of the movie. At this point the silver age issues go from 112-131, with a couple of gaps.

Swamp Thing (Diggle/Dysart run): 25

4 more issues to go.

Trigger: 5

This Vertigo sci-fi series lasted 8 issues. I don’t remember it at all.

That’s a pretty exhaustive look at this week’s offerings. Next week, I’ll probably just note new additions (what will replace Mister Miracle? The '89 and '96 series have already been collected, so we might be in for something new. And there might be more Huntress comics that haven't been reprinted yet, but Comixology has a bunch of them listed already, and the Bat-universe is so sprawling it's tough to search), unexpected omissions, breaks from the patterns, and go forward from there. 

And to make things easy to follow:
Week 2. (April 6, 2017)

Week 3 (April 13, 2017)

Week 4 (April 20, 2017)

Week 5 (April 27, 2017)

Week 6 (May 4, 2017)

Week 7 (May 11, 2017)

Week 8 (May 18, 2017)

Week 9 (May 25, 2017)

Week 10 (June 1, 2017) -- All the golden age Wonder Woman goodness!

Week 11 (June 8, 2017)

Week 12 (June 15, 2017)

Week 13 (June 22, 2017)

Week 14 (June 29, 2017)

Week 15 (July 6, 2017)

Week 16 (July 13, 2017) -- Our Worlds at War! Underworld Unleashed!

Week 17 (July 20, 2017) -- The Great Ten! More Wonder Woman!

Week 18 (July 27, 2017) -- Batman Confidential and Deathblow? Young Heroes in Love?? Doom Patrol!

Week 19 (Aug 3, 2017) -- Some Bronze-age Batman!

Week 20 (Aug 10, 2017) -- Loeb/Sale Challengers begins!

Week 21 (Aug 17, 2017) -- Silver Age Challs!

MIDWEEK SALE BLAST (Aug 22, 2017): Wildstorm!

Week 22 (Aug 24, 2017) -- Holding pattern...

Week 23 (Aug 31, 2017) -- chugging along

Week 24 (Sept 7, 2017) -- Same old, but with newer Challengers

Week 25 (Sept 14, 2017) -- Baron/Jones Deadman debuts

Week 26 (Sept 21, 2017) -- Holding steady, with more Deadman

Week 27 (Sept 28, 2017) -- Deadman in Action Comics Weekly?

Week 28 (Oct 5, 2017) -- A slow swerve into Batman

Week 29 (Oct 5, 2017) -- Doom Patrol finishes in the smallest week ever

The Gap List: a list of unexplained or awkward skips.

Views: 4712

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Let's go through last week's offerings at hyperspeed, since I'm already super late with this.

Four issues of Green Lantern, 28-31, continuing the Silver Age run.

Three issues of Hawkman, 4-6, continuing the Silver Age run.

Three more issues of Hawkman, 4-6, continuing the 1980s run. 

Two more issues of REBELS '95, 7 and 8.

Eight more issues of Shadowpact, 9-16. There were 25 issues published, so at this rate the series will wrap in a week or so.

Three more issues of the O'Neil/Cowan Question, 12-14. This is a point where the series could do no wrong. 

A Superman Elseworlds, Superman: War of the Worlds, by Roy Thomas and Michael Lark. (Lark's been killing it with superdetailed, expressive work on Lazarus. Rucka seems to get most of the acclaim for his books, but Lark is doing amazing work bringing the world to life.)

Three more issues of World's Finest -- but not in consecutive order. This week we get 178, 180, and 182.  This is also a small jump from last week's 174 and 175.

I missed last week's sale -- focused on Geoff Johns, I think -- but this week is the Dark Alleys of the DCU. So there are Batman books on sale, but also Deadman, Swamp Thing, Justice League Dark, a lot of Hellblazer, Animal Man, and more! Seems like a good time to give the Matt Wagner/Amy Reeder Madame Xanadu series a try. 

I’m going to run through this next batch quickly – I’ve got a lot to do before I go on vacation next week!

First of all, we’ve got four more issues of Action Comics, 364-367 – a consecutive run, but not connecting to the last bunch we saw a couple weeks ago, which ended at 359. It’s almost like they forgot to post last week’s Action Comics offerings.

Then we’ve got five more issues of Silver Age Green Lantern, 32-36, continuing the classic run without interruption.

Six more issues of Hawkman, too – issues 7-9 of the silver age volume, and 7-9 of the 1980s volume as well.

We don’t get anymore Shadowpact this week, so REBELS 95 is the newest book in the bunch, with issues 9 and 10 coming online.

We also get three more issues of O’Neill/Cowan The Question, issues 15-17. When I bought one of these off the stands years ago (issue 15, I think), there was a misprint that printed two pages out of order. I’m sure that’s been corrected by now.

And finally, three more 70s issues of World’s Finest – issues 183, 185, and 186. I can only speculate that they’re doing some of this scattershot reprinting in order to thrill future me, when the gaps start getting filled.

And I covered the Dark Alleys of the DCU sale up above, so that’s that!

The "Superman" instalments in Action Comics #362-#366 formed a five-part serial, the virus X story. Art by Ross Andru. Comixology is currently lacking the first two parts. #367 had a standalone "Superman" story with art by Curt Swan.

Kurt Schaffenberger was drawing "Supergirl". A three-part serial started in #366. The episode on #367's cover is from that issue's "Supergirl" story.

World's Finest Comics #178 and #180 = a two-part imaginary story. First part by Swan, second part by Andru. Andru based his version of the Bat-Cave on the TV show's. Andru continued on the title through the later issues from these last two batches. #186= the first part of a two-part story. 

As I've noted before, World's Finest Comics included reprint back-ups in the period. Comixology's page counts imply they're included.

Thanks, Luke!

I was on vacation last week, so here's a quick catch-up with what DC released last Thursday:

Action Comics continues consecutively from last week, with 4 issues, 368-371.

So does Green Lantern, with five more Silver Age issues, 37-41. There's a teamup with Alan Scott in issue 40!

Hawkman, too, on its two different tracks: Issues 10-12 of the Silver Age series, and also 10-12 of the 1980s revival.

REBELS 95 proceeds as well, with issues 11 and 12. 

And we get three more issues of The Question, issues 18-20, with the team-up with Green Arrow (and a dream or Rorschach) in 18, a Riddler appearance in 20, and a wonderful cover of a guy holding a blow-up doll hostage on issue 19. Who could resist?

We also get the three issue Secrets of the Legion of Super-Heroes miniseries from 1981, which, rare for these origin-recap miniseries, actually added a new element to Legion lore which lasted (and remained prominent) for years!

DC's having a Till Death Do Us Part sale for the Batrimony -- so there are plenty of Batman and Catwoman books available, naturally (including some single-issue appearances for 99 cents), but there are also other comics celebrating DC couples, including some interesting selections like a volume of Astro City, and a Hellblazer collection that focuses on John and Kit.

I always had a problem with the Secrets of the Legion of Super-Heroes' big reveal. It made little sense to me, especially in regards to the Legion's origin. There was not the slightest hint of foreshadowing and it was mostly used to almost ruin a Legionnaire.

And it got worse Post-Crisis!

The Superman stories in Action Comics #368-#369 form a two-parter. #370's story is the wacky "100 Years... Lost, Strayed or Stolen!" #371's is the start of a multi-parter in which Superman can't remember his secret identity and makes wrong guesses as to who he really is. It ran to #375, but #373 was a reprint giant.

The art was by Curt Swan and Jack Abel. Cary Bates wrote the #371 story. The others were by Otto Binder.

#368's Supergirl instalment is the conclusion of a three-parter that started in #366. The ones in #369-#370 form a two-parter.

The art was by Kurt Schaffenberger. The GCD attributes the #366-#368 story to Cary Bates and the other instalments (#370's tentatively) to Leo Dorfman.

Green Lantern #40 was the Krona story about the origin of the Guardians. Sequel stories appeared in the 80s in the Tales of the Green Lantern Corps mini-series and Legion of Super-Heroes #195. It was also referenced in Action Comics #544(1) and Crisis on Infinite Earths #10(2).

(1) Brainiac views the origin of the universe and sees the hand while disembodied.

(2) The Anti-Monitor talks about Krona's attempt to view the origin of the universe when he's fighting the Spectre.

Wow, that Krona story loomed so large for me, it's hard to believe it didn't start getting referenced until the 80s! I first saw it on TV, as part of Nickelodeon's Video Comics tv show, and then I got a reprint of it in a DC Green Lantern digest.

Legion of Super-Heroes #195 built on it to explain the absence of GLs from United Planets space in the LSH's time.

I made an error: I said Cary Bates wrote the Superman story in Action Comics #371; I meant #370.

I'm racing through these, since I’m two weeks behind. Last week (7/12) gave us these issues, basically continuing already existing series & trends:

Action Comics 372-376

Silver Age Green Lantern 42-46

Silver Age Hawkman 13-15

80s Hawkman 13-15

Rebels 95 13 & 14

The Question 21-23

And the Legion of Substitute Heroes Special #1

This week, a lot of that stuff continues, with:

Silver Age Green Lantern 47-51

Silver Age Hawkman 16-18

80s Hawkman 16, 17, and the Hawkman Special (completing the series)

REBELS 96 15 & 16

The Question 24 & 25

Plus, we’ve got three non-consecutive issues of Detective Comics: 370, 372, and 385

And Legion of Super-Heroes (Waid/Kitson) 1 & 2 -- This one seems interesting, since this entire series is already available in digital versions of the trade paperbacks. So there's not necessarily a production reason to pace these individual issues out... so all pacing decisions here are based purely on marketing concerns. 

And Legion of Superheroes (5 Years Later) Annual #1

The current sale is a Buy One, Get One Free type sale -- which isn't as good a deal as you normally get with DC sales, unless you're angling for old $1.99 back issues -- in which case, you can get pretty much anything you want for a buck, as long as you buy things in pairs. No more waiting for Extreme Justice or the Jared Stevens Fate series to go on sale... you can pick them up for half price now! (Hmmm...Maybe I could've found a few more enticing titles for my pitch...)

I snatched up the Question issues since I have loved everything I've read from that one so far. This was among the last gasp of the done-in-one as the norm. Along with Checkmate, I've really had some good reading lately.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service