A while back, I logged some week-to-week posts on DC’s digital reprint program through Comixology. It’s been a while, and their digital offerings have matured, so I thought I’d take another look at what they’re adding each week. Currently, they seem to be doing about 30 books a week. I might not list all the issue numbers going forward – if the 90s Superman titles continue moving forward at two of each a week, there’s not much value in listing each issue. But let’s take a look at this week’s, and let’s see where the patterns take us, shall we?

90s Superman: DC is following the 90s Superman titles (soon to be the 2000s Superman, as this week’s titles are from December 1999) pretty quickly, giving us 8 issues of the books every week. There’s a lot of material to get through, but that’s still an admirable clip. We may only have a few more weeks of this, judging by Action Comics (the one title of the bunch that doesn’t change its numbering and continues for a long while) – 761 is the most recent issue, and Action already seems to be in the digital library from 769 on. Superman, Adventures of Superman and Superman: Man of Steel have bigger gaps, though. 

Action Comics 760, 761

Adventures of Superman 574, 575

Superman 152, 153

Man of Steel 95, 96

Arion: 11, 12

DC has been adding two issues of Arion: Lord of Atlantis a week for the last 6 weeks. There are 35 issues and a special, so there's a way to go before the series is completed.

DC Comics Presents: 75, 76

DCCP started out at a faster pace, but has been going two a week for a little while now. There are about 20 issues to go. Bonus: More Arion this week, in issue 75!

Guy Gardner: Warrior: 33

11 issues to go.

Huntress: 19, 4-issue 1994 series

We wrap up the Cavalieri/Staton ongoing that introduced Helena Bertinelli, and then power through a Chuck Dixon mini from 1994. Will Huntress return next week, or will we move on?

Justice League America (Bwa-ha-ha) 51, 52

This one has a ways to go before having everything available.

Manhunter: 34

Four more issues till it’s all there!

Mister Miracle: 23-25

This wraps up the 70s run – Kirby and then Marshall Rogers, it’s all there! (I think DC also recently wrapped the 70s Return of the New Gods run, too.)

Superman (Bronze Age): 233

This is an interesting one. The Kryptonite Nevermore cover – I’m surprised it wasn’t available before this. Will DC continue from here? Their 70s Superman offerings on Comixology are paltry.

Wanderers: 7, 8

This 80s Legion spinoff ran 13 issues, so we’re almost there.

Wonder Woman (Silver Age): 130, 131

DC has been making silver age Wonder Woman stories available, probably wishing to expand their catalog in anticipation of the movie. At this point the silver age issues go from 112-131, with a couple of gaps.

Swamp Thing (Diggle/Dysart run): 25

4 more issues to go.

Trigger: 5

This Vertigo sci-fi series lasted 8 issues. I don’t remember it at all.

That’s a pretty exhaustive look at this week’s offerings. Next week, I’ll probably just note new additions (what will replace Mister Miracle? The '89 and '96 series have already been collected, so we might be in for something new. And there might be more Huntress comics that haven't been reprinted yet, but Comixology has a bunch of them listed already, and the Bat-universe is so sprawling it's tough to search), unexpected omissions, breaks from the patterns, and go forward from there. 

And to make things easy to follow:
Week 2. (April 6, 2017)

Week 3 (April 13, 2017)

Week 4 (April 20, 2017)

Week 5 (April 27, 2017)

Week 6 (May 4, 2017)

Week 7 (May 11, 2017)

Week 8 (May 18, 2017)

Week 9 (May 25, 2017)

Week 10 (June 1, 2017) -- All the golden age Wonder Woman goodness!

Week 11 (June 8, 2017)

Week 12 (June 15, 2017)

Week 13 (June 22, 2017)

Week 14 (June 29, 2017)

Week 15 (July 6, 2017)

Week 16 (July 13, 2017) -- Our Worlds at War! Underworld Unleashed!

Week 17 (July 20, 2017) -- The Great Ten! More Wonder Woman!

Week 18 (July 27, 2017) -- Batman Confidential and Deathblow? Young Heroes in Love?? Doom Patrol!

Week 19 (Aug 3, 2017) -- Some Bronze-age Batman!

Week 20 (Aug 10, 2017) -- Loeb/Sale Challengers begins!

Week 21 (Aug 17, 2017) -- Silver Age Challs!

MIDWEEK SALE BLAST (Aug 22, 2017): Wildstorm!

Week 22 (Aug 24, 2017) -- Holding pattern...

Week 23 (Aug 31, 2017) -- chugging along

Week 24 (Sept 7, 2017) -- Same old, but with newer Challengers

Week 25 (Sept 14, 2017) -- Baron/Jones Deadman debuts

Week 26 (Sept 21, 2017) -- Holding steady, with more Deadman

Week 27 (Sept 28, 2017) -- Deadman in Action Comics Weekly?

Week 28 (Oct 5, 2017) -- A slow swerve into Batman

Week 29 (Oct 5, 2017) -- Doom Patrol finishes in the smallest week ever

The Gap List: a list of unexplained or awkward skips.

Views: 4389

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I covered most of those Action Comics issues above. #376's lead story was the first part of a two-parter. The GCD tells me its Supergirl story was the second part of a two-parter, and the last one before the feature moved to Adventure Comics.

The Batman story from Detective Comics #385 is a good bittersweet tale by Robert Kanigher, Bob Brown and Joe Giella. Some might find it too emotionally manipulative, but it stuck with me. The back-up Batgirl story was continued from the previous issue. It has art by Gil Kane and Murphy Anderson, whose styles work well together. The first part was the story where Barbara Gordon was given a glamorous look.

As Barbara Gordon she originally wore glasses. I just learned she adopted contacts to dispense with them. So we must suppose as Batgirl she always wore them.

There are some anomalies it seems - I couldn't get some Batman/detective/wonder woman singles I wanted to discount but I did manage to get all four Tempest issues (the only part of the trade I wanted for the price of two singles and picked up the 4 Sword of Atoms in the same way.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

The current sale is a Buy One, Get One Free type sale -- which isn't as good a deal as you normally get with DC sales, unless you're angling for old $1.99 back issues -- in which case, you can get pretty much anything you want for a buck, as long as you buy things in pairs. No more waiting for Extreme Justice or the Jared Stevens Fate series to go on sale... you can pick them up for half price now! (Hmmm...Maybe I could've found a few more enticing titles for my pitch...)

The Question is the best, Sensei! One of my all-time favorite series. It reminds me of Starman in a way...incred incredible quality, but often gets overlooked by modern readers because the character is no longer active.

I said on p.30 that the Superman instalment in Action Comics #371 is the start of a multi-parter in which Superman can't remember his secret identity and makes wrong guesses as to who he really is. In #371 - mild spoiler - he thinks he's the President and assumes the President's identity. It just occurred to me that this looks like a riff on the cartoon Super President. Wikipedia says the show ran to Dec 28 1968, so the issue came out late in its run.

Yeah, it definitely is. The fact that it takes on mature concepts (not always racy ones, just grown-up) makes it a very meaty read. I've loved every issue so far. It's another cool zeitgeist book.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

The Question is the best, Sensei! One of my all-time favorite series. It reminds me of Starman in a way...incred incredible quality, but often gets overlooked by modern readers because the character is no longer active.

Rob, have you noticed that DC still hasn't released any new digital reprints from last week? Are they holding back for the new DC Digital thing?

I've been on vacation, so I haven't noticed. I'll look into it this week. One think I've seen them do is release the new releases, but for some reason they didn't show up on the new and noteworthy page of comixology. That might be the case here. 

OK, before I get into last week, let's run down the week before (7/26) super quick:

Batman 203

Green Lantern 53-57.

Silver Age Hawkman 20-22

1993 Hawkman 1-3

Waid/Kitson Legion #3.

5 Years Later Legion Annual #2.

LSH in the 31st Century 6-12 (based on the cartoon series) 

REBELS 17 (the last in the series, I believe)

The Question 26 and 27 (including the second of two Riddler stories in the series.)

And here's this week! They don't appear in the New & Noteworthy section, but they should all be available on their respective pages. (And since they're largely continuations of last week's runs, you can easily get to those series pages by clicking on an issue in the New & Noteworthy section and then going to the series page.)

Again, we see an increasing push for the Legion. This bodes well for my future happiness.

Silver Age Green Lantern 58-63.

Silver Age Hawkman 23-25

1993 Hawkman 4-6

Waid/Kitson Legion 4-8.

5 Years Later Legion Annual #3. (The first two annuals are the best; the fourth, possibly coming up later this week, might be one of the worst Legion stories I've ever read.)

LSH in the 31st Century 13-20 (this concludes the run, based on the cartoon series) 

No Question this week, even though the series continues into the 30s, and then a series of The Question Quarterly.

Without looking it up - was that the silly Timber Wolf revamp?

Rob Staeger

5 Years Later Legion Annual #3. (The first two annuals are the best; the fourth, possibly coming up later this week, might be one of the worst Legion stories I've ever read.)

Nope, that's this week's Annual 3; Annual 4 is the Bloodlines annual with Jamm -- if not the single worst Legion story ever, then definitely in the running. But the Timber Wolf revamp was certainly a dud too. Annuals 5 through 7 get better... but then, they'd pretty much have to. 

25 more items up in DC's Comixology backlist! Let's see what they are!

It's mostly continuations of series they've been running with already:

Five issues of Silver Age Green Lantern 64-68...just about filling in the gap before the classing Green Lantern/Green Arrow (already available) era starts at 76. 

Silver Age Hawkman 26 & 27. This one's in the bag, folks!

1993 Hawkman 7-9. This series ran for 34 issues (up to 33, with a 0 issue) so we've got a ways to go yet.

Hawkworld 1 & 2. This is the ongoing by John Ostrander and Graham Nolan that folowed Tim Truman's 3-issue mini that reinvented the Hawks. it lasted 32 issues, so we'll be seeing this one for a while at this rate.

Waid/Kitson Legion 9-13. I liked this reboot; it was really promising. But still, when I saw the hint at the original Legion coming back in Geoff Johns's Justice League title, it thrilled me (even as it killed this book in the cradle.)

5 Years Later Legion Annual #4. Bloodlines Annual. Featuring Jamm, a skateboard-fad throwback with super-creepy mental persuasion powers. ((shudder)) THE WORST. 

And then we've got a few new things, such as:

Justice League of America 149-153. The first of these books, "The Face of the Star-Tsar!", was the first Justice League comic I ever bought. So these issues are right in my sweet spot of figuring out what the JLA was all about. Let's see if they continue to fill the gap of mid to late 70s and early 80s JLA -- things are pretty sporadic until, shockingly, the Detroit era begins.. and there's even a year-long gap in the middle of that!

And speaking of filling gaps, we also get Secret Origins issues 4 and 44 -- the origins of Firestorm and The Mud Pack! These issues have been on The Gap List for ages, and with their release, Secret Origins is complete!

There's a big Vertigo sale on Comixolgy right now... aside from the usual long-form suspects, might I recommend The Kitchen? It's a tale of mob wives who pick up the business when their men are in prison...and what happens when those men get out. Good stuff, and on its way to being a movie or TV show, IIRC. By Ollie Masters, Ming Doyle, and Jordie Bellaire. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service