A while back, I logged some week-to-week posts on DC’s digital reprint program through Comixology. It’s been a while, and their digital offerings have matured, so I thought I’d take another look at what they’re adding each week. Currently, they seem to be doing about 30 books a week. I might not list all the issue numbers going forward – if the 90s Superman titles continue moving forward at two of each a week, there’s not much value in listing each issue. But let’s take a look at this week’s, and let’s see where the patterns take us, shall we?

90s Superman: DC is following the 90s Superman titles (soon to be the 2000s Superman, as this week’s titles are from December 1999) pretty quickly, giving us 8 issues of the books every week. There’s a lot of material to get through, but that’s still an admirable clip. We may only have a few more weeks of this, judging by Action Comics (the one title of the bunch that doesn’t change its numbering and continues for a long while) – 761 is the most recent issue, and Action already seems to be in the digital library from 769 on. Superman, Adventures of Superman and Superman: Man of Steel have bigger gaps, though. 

Action Comics 760, 761

Adventures of Superman 574, 575

Superman 152, 153

Man of Steel 95, 96

Arion: 11, 12

DC has been adding two issues of Arion: Lord of Atlantis a week for the last 6 weeks. There are 35 issues and a special, so there's a way to go before the series is completed.

DC Comics Presents: 75, 76

DCCP started out at a faster pace, but has been going two a week for a little while now. There are about 20 issues to go. Bonus: More Arion this week, in issue 75!

Guy Gardner: Warrior: 33

11 issues to go.

Huntress: 19, 4-issue 1994 series

We wrap up the Cavalieri/Staton ongoing that introduced Helena Bertinelli, and then power through a Chuck Dixon mini from 1994. Will Huntress return next week, or will we move on?

Justice League America (Bwa-ha-ha) 51, 52

This one has a ways to go before having everything available.

Manhunter: 34

Four more issues till it’s all there!

Mister Miracle: 23-25

This wraps up the 70s run – Kirby and then Marshall Rogers, it’s all there! (I think DC also recently wrapped the 70s Return of the New Gods run, too.)

Superman (Bronze Age): 233

This is an interesting one. The Kryptonite Nevermore cover – I’m surprised it wasn’t available before this. Will DC continue from here? Their 70s Superman offerings on Comixology are paltry.

Wanderers: 7, 8

This 80s Legion spinoff ran 13 issues, so we’re almost there.

Wonder Woman (Silver Age): 130, 131

DC has been making silver age Wonder Woman stories available, probably wishing to expand their catalog in anticipation of the movie. At this point the silver age issues go from 112-131, with a couple of gaps.

Swamp Thing (Diggle/Dysart run): 25

4 more issues to go.

Trigger: 5

This Vertigo sci-fi series lasted 8 issues. I don’t remember it at all.

That’s a pretty exhaustive look at this week’s offerings. Next week, I’ll probably just note new additions (what will replace Mister Miracle? The '89 and '96 series have already been collected, so we might be in for something new. And there might be more Huntress comics that haven't been reprinted yet, but Comixology has a bunch of them listed already, and the Bat-universe is so sprawling it's tough to search), unexpected omissions, breaks from the patterns, and go forward from there. 

And to make things easy to follow:
Week 2. (April 6, 2017)

Week 3 (April 13, 2017)

Week 4 (April 20, 2017)

Week 5 (April 27, 2017)

Week 6 (May 4, 2017)

Week 7 (May 11, 2017)

Week 8 (May 18, 2017)

Week 9 (May 25, 2017)

Week 10 (June 1, 2017) -- All the golden age Wonder Woman goodness!

Week 11 (June 8, 2017)

Week 12 (June 15, 2017)

Week 13 (June 22, 2017)

Week 14 (June 29, 2017)

Week 15 (July 6, 2017)

Week 16 (July 13, 2017) -- Our Worlds at War! Underworld Unleashed!

Week 17 (July 20, 2017) -- The Great Ten! More Wonder Woman!

Week 18 (July 27, 2017) -- Batman Confidential and Deathblow? Young Heroes in Love?? Doom Patrol!

Week 19 (Aug 3, 2017) -- Some Bronze-age Batman!

Week 20 (Aug 10, 2017) -- Loeb/Sale Challengers begins!

Week 21 (Aug 17, 2017) -- Silver Age Challs!

MIDWEEK SALE BLAST (Aug 22, 2017): Wildstorm!

Week 22 (Aug 24, 2017) -- Holding pattern...

Week 23 (Aug 31, 2017) -- chugging along

Week 24 (Sept 7, 2017) -- Same old, but with newer Challengers

Week 25 (Sept 14, 2017) -- Baron/Jones Deadman debuts

Week 26 (Sept 21, 2017) -- Holding steady, with more Deadman

Week 27 (Sept 28, 2017) -- Deadman in Action Comics Weekly?

Week 28 (Oct 5, 2017) -- A slow swerve into Batman

Week 29 (Oct 5, 2017) -- Doom Patrol finishes in the smallest week ever

The Gap List: a list of unexplained or awkward skips.

Views: 4742

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Doesn't the title change to Supergirl and the Legion between the issues mentioned?

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

A quick rundown of DC's 25 new items this week since I've been working all day and night to catch up from my long weekend of camping:

Legion of Super-Heroes 14 & 15 (from Waid/Kitson run) and then jumping to the Shooter/Manapul run later in the series, 37-39. I've no idea why they'd jump over the issues where Supergirl joined the title, but that's what it looks like they're doing for now. 

Yep, at least on the covers. I'm not sure if it changed on the official name on the indicia or not.

19 issues released today... but we've got a golden age surprise!

Silver Age Green Lantern 74 & 75...The final issues of GL's solo series -- the end of the Broome/Kane run, before O'Neil and Adams take over and bring Green Arrow along for the ride.

1993 Hawkman 14-16. I thought with the missing issue 13, we'd have a candidate for the Gap List, but it turns out 13 and a 0 issue have been online for a while now. This run is by William Messner-Loebs & Steve Lieber, by the way...which means I might have to check it out the next time Hawkman has a sale. 

Hawkworld 6-8. And I should mention that this run is by John Ostrander, Tim Truman, and Graham Nolan. Another solid creative team. 

Legion of Super-Heroes 40-44. Continuing the later, Shooter-written era of this title. 

World's Finest Comics 7-12. And here we have six giant-size issues of Golden Age fun, with Superman and Batman stories, as well as Boy Commandos, Star-Spangled Kid, Green Arrow, Zatara, and more! That's a lot of comic for 2 bucks!

DC's sale this week focuses on The Flash. I've got most of these books, but there are two nice Silver Age collections available (about the equivalent of 4 Archive editions worth, for $12 total), and a lot of great Mark Waid era collections for $5.99 each. Completist me might go for the last issues of the New 52 Flash (which I'd dropped, the title had gotten so dire), or maybe the JSA collection Supertown -- another book that had driven me away.

(More likely, I might dip into Dark Horse's Beasts of Burden sale to see if there's any of that delightful series I've missed. Although digital editions of all that Silver Age Flash is sure tempting...)

Green Lantern #74 is the second part of a two-parter written by Mike Friedrich in which GL returns to Coast City and is reunited with Carol and Pieface.

GL left Coast City in Green Lantern #49 because Carol had become engaged to another man. Hal was subsequently an insurance adjuster for a time (and salesman for a least one issue), but in the final pre-Adams issues he was a salesman for a toy company.

#52's (awful) story was a story from Green Lantern's casebook told by Pieface. The net tells me Carol had previously reappeared in #69. 

John Broome irregularly wrote for the title after #56. Gil Kane didn't draw #62-#67.

Thanks, Luke! Hal's stint as a long-haul trucker was still in his future...

20 items this week...let's get to 'em!

We continue our parallel tracks of Hawkman books, with Hawkman 17-19 from the 1993 volume, and Hawkworld 9-11, a title which began in 1989. 

Legion of Super-Heroes 45-50. Wrapping up the Shooter revival.

Legion of Super-Heroes Annual 7A Legends of Dead Earth annual, and the last one this version of the Legion got. (Annual 6, a Year One annual, was already available.) 

World's Finest Comics 13-18. More Golden Age fun with Superman and Batman (in separate stories), as well as Boy Commandos, Star-Spangled Kid, Green Arrow, Zatara, and more!

Batman 45: This one features Catwoman in a story called "The Lady Rogues," in which she's upset to be left out of a book of the greatest women villains in history, and goes to Hollywood to disrupt a movie being made of it. (Plus there are more stories; it looks like this is the full issue.) This issue follows the previous run of early Batman issues -- they've all been made available up to this point. Will we get one Batman a week for a while?

Next week, we've either lost the Legion or they'll have to put up other LSH material (including the Supergirl & the LSH stories from earlier in the series they've been reprinting). We should have several more weeks of Hawkman, and we've got plenty of untapped potential in World's Finest and Batman...but I wouldn't be surprised if we get something new coming down the line. 

DC's sale this week focuses on Jim Lee; he's not really my cuppa tea, but I'm toying with buying that For Tomorrow storyline he and Brian Azzarello did in Superman.  

While the New & Noteworthy section hasn't yet updated for this week's DC releases, I was able to find them under today's releases in the general section. And we've got...

Detective Comics 132: Picking up from issue 131, which was released in May. It's a 44-page issue from 1948, which sounds like it's pretty complete.

Hawkman continues, with Hawkman 20-22 from the 1993 volume, and Hawkworld 12-14, a title which began in 1989. 

Justice League of America leaps ahead a year or so from its most recent release (1978's 158, released a couple of weeks ago), to some of the first issues of the 1980s, with issues 176-180, which include battles with Despero, Dr. Destiny, and that disco supervillainess for the ages, the Satin Satan! (That last story did induct Firestorm to the group...)

Then we get a lot more Legion! First up are Legends of the Legion 1-4, a reboot Legion miniseries featuring the origins of Ultra Boy, Spark, Umbra, and Star Boy! Then we get Superman Plus+ Legion of Superheroes #1, from a 1996 series of team-up specials. And then we get Legion of Super-Heroes Secret Files & Origins 1-2. At this rate, we might even wind up getting that Science Police miniseries sooner when we think!  

And finally, we get some issues of Flash from the tail end of the Silver Age: 164 and 166-169. (Issue 165 was already available.) My guess is that these are being released now that Flash Omnibus volume 3 is out into the world (and on my nightstand). I think we can expect to see the gaps up to issue 199 get filled out pretty quickly. Although looking forward, that's only 171, 172, and 176-178. All the rest are already available!

DC's also got a big, expansive Labor Day sale going, which includes classic trades, new trades through Rebirth, Vertigo material, Jinxworld stuff, and more. Look around! Check out Daytripper or Future Quest or reacquaint yourself with The Great Darkness Saga. Plenty of good stuff here. 

The Justice League of America issues are from Gerry Conway's long run, which started with #151. He'd written intermittently for the title previously.

The penciller was Dick Dillin. His last issue was #183. (Those buying back issues should know he didn't draw #153 or most of the wedding of the Atom issue, #157.)

#176-#180 are from the tail end of the period when standard US comics had 17 story pages. DC raised its price to 50c and added 8 pages in 1980. The change arrived in Justice League of America with #182.

This was really a reenactment of 1978's DC Explosion plan, so this had already been the price and size from #158-#160. Before that the title was a giant for a year and a half.

The price went down to 40c with #161, but the GCD says the story page count was 22-23 up to #165, Julie Schwartz's last issue as editor.

Ross Andru took over as editor #166, and the story page count went down to 17. Andru edited up to #176. His replacement was Len Wein, who edited to #224.

#175-#176

Red Tornado/Dr Destiny story. Red Tornado resumes his relationship with Kathy Sutton, who he dated during Len Wein's run as writer.

#177-#178

Giant chessmen story. The story has a mystery villain and guest hero revealed at the end of #177. The cover of #178 gives away who they are.

#179-#180

The Firestorm/Satin Satan story. I remember this one as quite weak.

Superman offered Firestorm membership in the JLA in DC Comics Presents #17. Prof. Stein didn't learn he was half of Firestorm until the Firestorm back-up series started in The Flash #289.

A couple of big surprises this week, so let's get to it!

First up, though, is more Hawkman, with Hawkman 23-25 from the 1993 volume (which ends at #33), and Hawkworld 15-17, a title which began in 1989 (and lasted until issue 32). 

Justice League of America continues its 1980s run with issues 181, 182, and 186-188. (183-185, the JLA/JSA/New Gods crossover, was already available.) These are mostly 1 or 2-part stories; there's a fun body-swap story in 187-88. 

We also get more late-Silver Flash -- as I suspected last week, issues 171, 172, and 176-178 are available. And that's it for the contents of the new omnibus! We'll see if we get more Flash next week, or if DC moves on to another property for a while. Issue 178 is a Giant reprint, so if you want 3 Silver Age stories in one, this is a lot of bang for the buck. (If DC continues with Flash, it'd jump to 213 & 214, and then a run from 216 up to 275's death of Iris.)

And now the surprises!
First up (and most welcome to me) is The Question 28 -- the first issue of the title since July. Hopefully DC will release these till the end of the run, and then add in the Quarterlies.

We've also got MAD Presents Batman from 2012... a collection of Bat-parodies and other gags from throughout the magazine's run. 

And finally, we've got....a Wildstorm book? I can't even remember how long it's been since we've seen one of those! We've got all six issues of Wildstorm Revelations, by Scott Beatty, Christos Gage, and Wes Craig. The cover of issue one says that this title comes "from the pages of Wildstorm Armageddon"...which isn't up on Comixology. Ah, well...

Ad for sales, DC is having a big Batman Day sale, with a lot of the same Bat-stuff they usually have on sale. The stuff that tempts me are the big Tales of the Batman collection that focus on a specific writer or artist -- Gene Colan, Don Newton, Len Wein. But the New Gotham collections, collecting Greg Rucka's monochromatic run on Detective Comics with Shawn Martinborough and Rich Burchett, are also tempting; I haven't seen them collected before, and it's one of my favorite Batman runs. 

Woot!

And now the surprises!
First up (and most welcome to me) is The Question 28 -- the first issue of the title since July. Hopefully DC will release these till the end of the run, and then add in the Quarterlies.

\Justice League of America continues its 1980s run with issues 181, 182, and 186-188. (183-185, the JLA/JSA/New Gods crossover, was already available.) These are mostly 1 or 2-part stories; there's a fun body-swap story in 187-88. 

In #181 Green Arrow's dissatisfaction with his membership in the League comes to a head.

I noted in #182 the story page count went up to 25 pages. That issue had a 17 page lead story and an 8 page Elongated Man back-up by Paul Kupperberg and Rodin Rodriguez. Subsequent issues normally had a single story.

George Perez drew #184-#186. #186 acknowledged Dick Dillin's death with a dedication.

The two-parter in #187-#188 was drawn by Don Heck and ended half-way through #188. The second story in #188 was a Hanukkah story drawn by Rich Buckler.

Buckler drew #189-#191, Perez #192-#196. #197 was split between Perez and Keith Pollard. #193 had an All-Star Squadron preview insert.

Heck then became the main artist and drew #198-#199, #201-#205, #207-#209, #213-#216. #200 was an artistic round robin. #206 was drawn by Carmine Infantino. #210-#212 were a three-parter with art by Buckler/Buckler and Paris Cullins.

Gerry Conway ended his run in #216, but he was back before very long. Chuck Patton took over the art with #217.

Thanks for all the details, Luke! I remembered that the 2-parter in 187-188 was actually a 1-and-a-half parter, but I couldn't remember the other half!

Anyway, here's this week's books!

We've got Golden Age Batman represented by Batman #46 and Detective Comics 83-88. I notice Detective has a standard (ungrammatical) disclaimer that "NOTE: Not all backup stories advertised on the cover are be included." -- this, even when there are no backups mentioned on the cover. Nonetheless, at 54 pages, they come pretty close to giving you the whole deal. Maybe the text pages are missing, or the Henry Boltinoff "Laffs" half-pagers? Batman 45 showed up on Comixology a few weeks ago; the issues immediately preceding this run in Detective showed up in April. Detective can continue from here until 113, where Comixology picks up again. Batman's got years of unreprinted comics ahead of it.

The Hawkman progression continues, with Hawkman 26-28 and Hawkworld 18-21. This volume of Hawkman should be ending in two weeks, with issue 33. Hawkworld is ramping up to fill the gap already, with 4 issues this time. 

We also get those Buckler and Heck issues of Justice League of America that Luke talked about, with issues 189-191, and 198 & 199. 189-190 is a Starro two-parter that's one of my all-time favorites.

And then, look! Kamandi's back! These two issues, 28 and 29, are the first new ones on Comixology since 27 appeared in 2013. The series ran through issue 59 (not all with Kirby), so there's a lot more to go. 

And finally, we get four more issues of the O'Neil/Cowan Question, #29-32. The series runs to #36, but there's also 2 Question Annuals and 5 issues of The Question Quarterly that can be grouped into this run.

DC's new sale is "100 Graphic Novels to Read Before You Die" -- and there's a lot of the usual suspects in there, and certainly some that seem inessential in the face of the Great Beyond. But I have to say, the one I'm most inclined to re-read right now is The Invisibles. It's been more than a decade, and it's definitely time for a revisit.   

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service