A while back, I logged some week-to-week posts on DC’s digital reprint program through Comixology. It’s been a while, and their digital offerings have matured, so I thought I’d take another look at what they’re adding each week. Currently, they seem to be doing about 30 books a week. I might not list all the issue numbers going forward – if the 90s Superman titles continue moving forward at two of each a week, there’s not much value in listing each issue. But let’s take a look at this week’s, and let’s see where the patterns take us, shall we?

90s Superman: DC is following the 90s Superman titles (soon to be the 2000s Superman, as this week’s titles are from December 1999) pretty quickly, giving us 8 issues of the books every week. There’s a lot of material to get through, but that’s still an admirable clip. We may only have a few more weeks of this, judging by Action Comics (the one title of the bunch that doesn’t change its numbering and continues for a long while) – 761 is the most recent issue, and Action already seems to be in the digital library from 769 on. Superman, Adventures of Superman and Superman: Man of Steel have bigger gaps, though. 

Action Comics 760, 761

Adventures of Superman 574, 575

Superman 152, 153

Man of Steel 95, 96

Arion: 11, 12

DC has been adding two issues of Arion: Lord of Atlantis a week for the last 6 weeks. There are 35 issues and a special, so there's a way to go before the series is completed.

DC Comics Presents: 75, 76

DCCP started out at a faster pace, but has been going two a week for a little while now. There are about 20 issues to go. Bonus: More Arion this week, in issue 75!

Guy Gardner: Warrior: 33

11 issues to go.

Huntress: 19, 4-issue 1994 series

We wrap up the Cavalieri/Staton ongoing that introduced Helena Bertinelli, and then power through a Chuck Dixon mini from 1994. Will Huntress return next week, or will we move on?

Justice League America (Bwa-ha-ha) 51, 52

This one has a ways to go before having everything available.

Manhunter: 34

Four more issues till it’s all there!

Mister Miracle: 23-25

This wraps up the 70s run – Kirby and then Marshall Rogers, it’s all there! (I think DC also recently wrapped the 70s Return of the New Gods run, too.)

Superman (Bronze Age): 233

This is an interesting one. The Kryptonite Nevermore cover – I’m surprised it wasn’t available before this. Will DC continue from here? Their 70s Superman offerings on Comixology are paltry.

Wanderers: 7, 8

This 80s Legion spinoff ran 13 issues, so we’re almost there.

Wonder Woman (Silver Age): 130, 131

DC has been making silver age Wonder Woman stories available, probably wishing to expand their catalog in anticipation of the movie. At this point the silver age issues go from 112-131, with a couple of gaps.

Swamp Thing (Diggle/Dysart run): 25

4 more issues to go.

Trigger: 5

This Vertigo sci-fi series lasted 8 issues. I don’t remember it at all.

That’s a pretty exhaustive look at this week’s offerings. Next week, I’ll probably just note new additions (what will replace Mister Miracle? The '89 and '96 series have already been collected, so we might be in for something new. And there might be more Huntress comics that haven't been reprinted yet, but Comixology has a bunch of them listed already, and the Bat-universe is so sprawling it's tough to search), unexpected omissions, breaks from the patterns, and go forward from there. 

And to make things easy to follow:
Week 2. (April 6, 2017)

Week 3 (April 13, 2017)

Week 4 (April 20, 2017)

Week 5 (April 27, 2017)

Week 6 (May 4, 2017)

Week 7 (May 11, 2017)

Week 8 (May 18, 2017)

Week 9 (May 25, 2017)

Week 10 (June 1, 2017) -- All the golden age Wonder Woman goodness!

Week 11 (June 8, 2017)

Week 12 (June 15, 2017)

Week 13 (June 22, 2017)

Week 14 (June 29, 2017)

Week 15 (July 6, 2017)

Week 16 (July 13, 2017) -- Our Worlds at War! Underworld Unleashed!

Week 17 (July 20, 2017) -- The Great Ten! More Wonder Woman!

Week 18 (July 27, 2017) -- Batman Confidential and Deathblow? Young Heroes in Love?? Doom Patrol!

Week 19 (Aug 3, 2017) -- Some Bronze-age Batman!

Week 20 (Aug 10, 2017) -- Loeb/Sale Challengers begins!

Week 21 (Aug 17, 2017) -- Silver Age Challs!

MIDWEEK SALE BLAST (Aug 22, 2017): Wildstorm!

Week 22 (Aug 24, 2017) -- Holding pattern...

Week 23 (Aug 31, 2017) -- chugging along

Week 24 (Sept 7, 2017) -- Same old, but with newer Challengers

Week 25 (Sept 14, 2017) -- Baron/Jones Deadman debuts

Week 26 (Sept 21, 2017) -- Holding steady, with more Deadman

Week 27 (Sept 28, 2017) -- Deadman in Action Comics Weekly?

Week 28 (Oct 5, 2017) -- A slow swerve into Batman

Week 29 (Oct 5, 2017) -- Doom Patrol finishes in the smallest week ever

The Gap List: a list of unexplained or awkward skips.

Views: 4824

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, Luke, We'll see if they continue the series till 59...but considering there haven't been collections of those issues, it's less likely.

Following up on my own comment: I re-read Daytripper yesterday for a local library book group (still loved it the second time). Turns out that the Kindle reader (at least the one built into my Kindle Fire tablet) lacks the special features of the Comixology reader. You can't go into landscape mode for two-page spreads, or pinch to resize the page (or use Guided Reading, which I've always hated anyway). Which probably explains why the Kindle file downloaded so much faster than the Comixology one.

But the good news is, if you buy a graphic novel as Kindle, it also appears in your Comixology library. So I downloaded the file from there and was back in business.

Mark Sullivan (Vertiginous Mod) said:

Now that Amazon owns Comixology, and the reader for Kindle seems to work identically, I actually prefer to download comics for Kindle, since I own a Kindle Fire tablet: saves having to open up a separate app.

That's good to know, Mark!

And shame on me, I've still got Daytripper on my to-read pile. It's been there for years, and I've really got to jump on it. 

Only three titles featured in this week's Comixology back issue listings, so let's take a look!

First up, we get SEVENTEEN issues of Silver Age Aquaman: issues 7-10, 12-17, and 19-25. What happened to issues 11 and 18? Who knows, but neither seems to be a reprint, and 18 is the wedding of Aquaman and Mera! So that seems like a significant oversight. To the Gap List they go...sort of. They're already available in black-and-white editions lifted from one of DC's Showcase editions. Let's see how long it takes for colored versions to show up... and if anyone has a b/w version, let us know if DC replaces it with the color version when they do!

Justice League of America continues with 221-225, including a 3-part Beast Men story, and one of Kurt Busiek's first stories in issue 224, with "Who Is Paragon?" (Paragon showed up again decades later during Kurt's pre-Flashpoint Superman run.) Next  week should close the gap with the Detroit issues... although there are still a number of the Detroit run that need digital release as well.

And then we get two issues of Outsiders: Annual #1 and Special #1. Strangely enough, the Kevin Nowlan cover from the Annual (1986) looks SO much more modern than the Eduardo Barreto cover of the Special from a year later. There's no second issue of either of these, and as far as I know, this wraps up the loose ends on the Baxter run for the group. 

DC's sale is a Joker/Harley Quinn sale -- before you buy, check out the prices of the trade paperbacks involved on Amazon; there was a price glitch a while ago, with a few trades going for, in some cases, pennies. One such discounted trade was Suicide Squad: The Secret History of Task Force X, with art by Barnaby Bagenda, who blew me away on Omega Men; I was wondering where he was hiding out, and I'm happy to be able to check out his work again. 

(And, as suspected, we didn't get any more Detective once it closed the gap...and no more post_Kirby Kamandi, either.)

I would have thought just a week out or so from Halloween we would have seen more comics in that vein.

Oh speaking of glitches, Half Price Books had their warehouse sale last week, and all of their comics were supposed to be 50 cents each. A friend of mine went, and the person ringing him up charged him 50 cents each for all of the trades he bought too.

We got a handful of DC Halloween anthologies a couple of weeks ago... but I would have been a great time to upload a bunch of House of Mystery and Witching Hour issues. Next year, for sure, as the omnibuses for Mystery and Secrets will be out by then. And I guess, why cannibalize sales from those?

Sorry everyone -- it was a busy Thursday, so this week's Comixology report is late. But we've got 27 new back issues to cover.. let's get to it!

First up, we've got a ton of Aquaman -- issues 26-32, 34, and 36-38,  33 and 35 are already available in black and white mode. Hopefully that will be rectified soon... but until then, they go on the Gap List.

Next, we've got five more issues of Justice League of America -- 226-229, and then 245. So I guess now we know that DC intends to fill out the remainder of the Detroit era, too! (All the issues between 229 and 245 were already available.) The remaining issues are 246-257.

Next, we've got Justice League Adventures 1-9. These are the first issues to be made available from the comic based on the JL animated series. It ran 34 issues from 2002-2004. (No Annuals or Specials, as far as I can tell.)

We do get Batman Adventures Annual #2 -- a teamup with the Demon. It's the second of two annuals for the title, but issues 29-36 of that book have yet to be released.

And finally,...a Wildstorm book? Is that even allowed anymore? But here we have it -- Wildstorm Halloween Trilogy of Terror, from 1997. A DC Logo replaces the Image logo on this one-shot. It's a 28-page issue with stories starring Team 7, Wetworks, and Gen 13. 

For next week, I'm expecting more Aquaman, more JLA & JL Adventures, and maybe even some of those missing Batman Adventures issues...although it's possible that the Demon teamup was the sole reason for this week's Halloween release of that annual. 

Also: With the mention of Arion in the recent Drowned Earth crossover, I suggested on Twitter to DC & Comixology that it would be a good time to reprint the Arion Special that closes out the series. So we'll see if my tweet can influence the Gap List!

DC's Halloween sale is still running, even though I'm late with this -- so you can pick up all of Jack Kirby's Demon for $5.99, or discounted volumes of American Vampire, tons of Batman stuff, the new Neal Adams Deadman series, or more. Even the team-up volume of Batman, Starman, and Hellboy! (And speaking of Hellboy, Dark Horse is having a sale that lets you buy all four volumes of the Hellboy Omnibus for $4 each. That's an incredible bargain.)

Well, I only got about a third of what I was expecting from DC & Comixology this week. No Aquaman, no Detroit League... but we get nine more issues of Justice League Adventures, issues 10-18.  At this rate, the run will be done in two more weeks. 

Which is actually something fairly new. DC has been releasing things in larger chunks lately, which means fewer titles overall in these weekly wrapups. It used to be most titles got two or three issues a week. Now five to seven is more the norm.

That said, we've got some smaller fish in this pond, too. We've got two DCU Holiday Specials, from 2008 and 2010. (2009 was already available, as were specials from 1988 and 1989, 1996-1998, and 2006. Also, Superman's Christmas Adventure is there, from 1940. You can find them grouped together at DC Holiday Specials.  

There are also both Impulse Annuals, #1 and 2. And we also get two Bart team-up specials, with Impulse + Gross-Out  (a character from Scare Tactics) and Impulse/Atom Double-Shot, both from 1997. And we get the Impulse: Bart Saves the Universe special from 1999.

We also get Superman: The Man of Steel Annual #1. Not only are the next 5 annuals missing, but also most of the end of the run is still missing: 121-129, and 132-137 haven't been released yet. 

DC's sale this week celebrates the new Green Lantern title by focusing on Grant Morrison: Not only are the usual suspects there (Batman, We3, Animal Man, Doom Patrol, the Invisibles), but there's also the Prez trade paperback, which includes some later material Morrison wrote from the Multiversity Sourcebook. So if you're looking for a Teen President, here's your chance!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service