A while back, I logged some week-to-week posts on DC’s digital reprint program through Comixology. It’s been a while, and their digital offerings have matured, so I thought I’d take another look at what they’re adding each week. Currently, they seem to be doing about 30 books a week. I might not list all the issue numbers going forward – if the 90s Superman titles continue moving forward at two of each a week, there’s not much value in listing each issue. But let’s take a look at this week’s, and let’s see where the patterns take us, shall we?

90s Superman: DC is following the 90s Superman titles (soon to be the 2000s Superman, as this week’s titles are from December 1999) pretty quickly, giving us 8 issues of the books every week. There’s a lot of material to get through, but that’s still an admirable clip. We may only have a few more weeks of this, judging by Action Comics (the one title of the bunch that doesn’t change its numbering and continues for a long while) – 761 is the most recent issue, and Action already seems to be in the digital library from 769 on. Superman, Adventures of Superman and Superman: Man of Steel have bigger gaps, though. 

Action Comics 760, 761

Adventures of Superman 574, 575

Superman 152, 153

Man of Steel 95, 96

Arion: 11, 12

DC has been adding two issues of Arion: Lord of Atlantis a week for the last 6 weeks. There are 35 issues and a special, so there's a way to go before the series is completed.

DC Comics Presents: 75, 76

DCCP started out at a faster pace, but has been going two a week for a little while now. There are about 20 issues to go. Bonus: More Arion this week, in issue 75!

Guy Gardner: Warrior: 33

11 issues to go.

Huntress: 19, 4-issue 1994 series

We wrap up the Cavalieri/Staton ongoing that introduced Helena Bertinelli, and then power through a Chuck Dixon mini from 1994. Will Huntress return next week, or will we move on?

Justice League America (Bwa-ha-ha) 51, 52

This one has a ways to go before having everything available.

Manhunter: 34

Four more issues till it’s all there!

Mister Miracle: 23-25

This wraps up the 70s run – Kirby and then Marshall Rogers, it’s all there! (I think DC also recently wrapped the 70s Return of the New Gods run, too.)

Superman (Bronze Age): 233

This is an interesting one. The Kryptonite Nevermore cover – I’m surprised it wasn’t available before this. Will DC continue from here? Their 70s Superman offerings on Comixology are paltry.

Wanderers: 7, 8

This 80s Legion spinoff ran 13 issues, so we’re almost there.

Wonder Woman (Silver Age): 130, 131

DC has been making silver age Wonder Woman stories available, probably wishing to expand their catalog in anticipation of the movie. At this point the silver age issues go from 112-131, with a couple of gaps.

Swamp Thing (Diggle/Dysart run): 25

4 more issues to go.

Trigger: 5

This Vertigo sci-fi series lasted 8 issues. I don’t remember it at all.

That’s a pretty exhaustive look at this week’s offerings. Next week, I’ll probably just note new additions (what will replace Mister Miracle? The '89 and '96 series have already been collected, so we might be in for something new. And there might be more Huntress comics that haven't been reprinted yet, but Comixology has a bunch of them listed already, and the Bat-universe is so sprawling it's tough to search), unexpected omissions, breaks from the patterns, and go forward from there. 

And to make things easy to follow:
Week 2. (April 6, 2017)

Week 3 (April 13, 2017)

Week 4 (April 20, 2017)

Week 5 (April 27, 2017)

Week 6 (May 4, 2017)

Week 7 (May 11, 2017)

Week 8 (May 18, 2017)

Week 9 (May 25, 2017)

Week 10 (June 1, 2017) -- All the golden age Wonder Woman goodness!

Week 11 (June 8, 2017)

Week 12 (June 15, 2017)

Week 13 (June 22, 2017)

Week 14 (June 29, 2017)

Week 15 (July 6, 2017)

Week 16 (July 13, 2017) -- Our Worlds at War! Underworld Unleashed!

Week 17 (July 20, 2017) -- The Great Ten! More Wonder Woman!

Week 18 (July 27, 2017) -- Batman Confidential and Deathblow? Young Heroes in Love?? Doom Patrol!

Week 19 (Aug 3, 2017) -- Some Bronze-age Batman!

Week 20 (Aug 10, 2017) -- Loeb/Sale Challengers begins!

Week 21 (Aug 17, 2017) -- Silver Age Challs!

MIDWEEK SALE BLAST (Aug 22, 2017): Wildstorm!

Week 22 (Aug 24, 2017) -- Holding pattern...

Week 23 (Aug 31, 2017) -- chugging along

Week 24 (Sept 7, 2017) -- Same old, but with newer Challengers

Week 25 (Sept 14, 2017) -- Baron/Jones Deadman debuts

Week 26 (Sept 21, 2017) -- Holding steady, with more Deadman

Week 27 (Sept 28, 2017) -- Deadman in Action Comics Weekly?

Week 28 (Oct 5, 2017) -- A slow swerve into Batman

Week 29 (Oct 5, 2017) -- Doom Patrol finishes in the smallest week ever

The Gap List: a list of unexplained or awkward skips.

Views: 4964

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, the first series, reprinted this week, is all Colón. But man, just take a look at the cool covers he provides! #8 and #11 are my two favorites, but there's not a stinker in the bunch. 

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

Man, I like all of those artists. I have never had even a little bit of interest in Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld, but it's tempting. Luckily, I have enough new material right now to hold me over for awhile.

So, here's all the rest of Amethyst for us! This week Comixology STILL keeps it pretty simple, with all 16 issues of the second Amethyst: Princess of Gemworld series, plus Amethyst Special 1, which wrapped things up. 

Also in the mix are Adventures of Superman Annuals 4 & 5 (Eclipso and Bloodlines tie-ins), and Catwoman Annual 1, written by Christopher Priest, from the year the annuals all were Elseworlds.

And speaking of Elseworlds, there's also Batman: The Golden Streets of Gotham, by Jen Van Meter, Cliff Chiang, and Tommy Lee Edwards. Definitely the creative team to beat this week. IIRC, it's set in the 20s, but the framing sequence (and preview pages) are modern-day. 

DC's sale is on Sandman Universe stuff, so whether it's the main series, long-running spinoffs like Lucifer, or shorter ones like the Dead Boy Detectives, there's a whole lot of books to check out. And the first issues of the new books are available for $1.99... which is a shame, because at 99 cents I think they'd get more people sampling them. 

Rob said

And speaking of Elseworlds, there's also Batman: The Golden Streets of Gotham, by Jen Van Meter, Cliff Chiang, and Tommy Lee Edwards. Definitely the creative team to beat this week. IIRC, it's set in the 20s, but the framing sequence (and preview pages) are modern-day.

I don't remember that one at all. Sounds like a winner!

I didn't read any of original Amethyst material, but I did enjoy the New 52 series.

YES! I remember I had this at one point and now I have no idea where it went. I've been waiting for them to either reprint it in a Batman Elseworlds volume (nothing so far) or to put it up digitally. I remember loving this book so much.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I had NO idea there was ever an Amethyst Princess of Gemworld New 52 series!

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

I didn't read any of original Amethyst material, but I did enjoy the New 52 series.

It was called Sword of Sorcery -- one of the New 52's genre experiments like Men of War, Threshhold, or All-Star Western. It lasted 9 issues (starting with issue 0), with Amethyst as the lead feature throughout, and Beowulf and Stalker taking the backup slot. Like all New52 books, it was released on Comixology as it was released in print.

Plus, there was a 4-issue miniseries in the 1990s written by Mindy Newell & Keith Giffen, with art by Esteban Maroto, tying Amethyst to Legion lore. Maybe we'll get that next week.

Thanks, Rob, I meant to mention that series was called Sword of Sorcery. I sampled all of those comics, myself. 

And while this version of SoS only lasted 9 issues, it still lasted longer than the original series.

I was also thinking it was weird to resurrect a 30 year old series to reintroduce a 20 year old property, and neither one was that popular on its first go around.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

It was called Sword of Sorcery -- one of the New 52's genre experiments like Men of War, Threshhold, or All-Star Western. It lasted 9 issues (starting with issue 0), with Amethyst as the lead feature throughout, and Beowulf and Stalker taking the backup slot. Like all New52 books, it was released on Comixology as it was released in print.

Plus, there was a 4-issue miniseries in the 1990s written by Mindy Newell & Keith Giffen, with art by Esteban Maroto, tying Amethyst to Legion lore. Maybe we'll get that next week.

My most memorable brush with Gemworld was when it was briefly mentioned (along with Skartaris--another world of DC that I have no idea about) in a Books of Magic ongoing series issue circa the turn of the century. I didn't know anything about either other than by name, but I loved that they included these, because it tied the Books of Magic in with the rest of the DCU even more. The Books miniseries had Dr. Fate, Phantom Stranger, Deadman, and more in it, but this really was another nod that we're still dealing in the same place as Superman and Batman.

I also remember Books with the presence of Zatanna and Thanorak, which further tied it in, but I loved that the magic world of the DCU had one leg in the mainline DCU, and one in the Vertigo.

I think some of that was trademark protection -- they own certain titles in the comics arena, so they have to take them out for a spin every once in a while to maintain ownership.

But I also think some of it was a legitimate effort to see if launching titles not named after a character would work. I think books like Sword of Sorcery and Men of War and DC Universe Presents were an effort to bring back the anthology. A lot of people in comics have affection for them (as do I), but they never seem to sell. I think the attempt to make that work was one of the more laudable swings for the fences that the New52 took, even if some of the resulting comics didn't impress me. 

What was Threshold about? I don't remember that one either.

I agree that the anthologies should be great, even if I don't always love the stories we get as a result. I think one of the greatest of DC's in "recent" memory is Secret Origins, edited by Mark Waid from the late 80's/early 90's. So much talent was discovered in that book.

Threshold lasted 8 issues too. The lead story was "The Hunted" -- sort of The Running Man in space and starring an undercover Green Lantern with an uncharged ring. Blue Beetle Jaime Reyes was also involved, kidnapped by the same aliens, I think. I only bought the first couple issues. The backups were Larfleeze in issues 1-5 (and then Larfleeze got his own series! Boy, the New 52 was weird), and then Star Hawkins in issues 6-8.

Amazing: DC had pretty much given up on the Legion by 2013, but still thought Star Hawkins was worth a try.

While the New 52 had its faults, I do give DC credit for trying out a number of non-super hero titles. I sampled most, if not all of them, and I liked some of them. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service