A while back, I logged some week-to-week posts on DC’s digital reprint program through Comixology. It’s been a while, and their digital offerings have matured, so I thought I’d take another look at what they’re adding each week. Currently, they seem to be doing about 30 books a week. I might not list all the issue numbers going forward – if the 90s Superman titles continue moving forward at two of each a week, there’s not much value in listing each issue. But let’s take a look at this week’s, and let’s see where the patterns take us, shall we?

90s Superman: DC is following the 90s Superman titles (soon to be the 2000s Superman, as this week’s titles are from December 1999) pretty quickly, giving us 8 issues of the books every week. There’s a lot of material to get through, but that’s still an admirable clip. We may only have a few more weeks of this, judging by Action Comics (the one title of the bunch that doesn’t change its numbering and continues for a long while) – 761 is the most recent issue, and Action already seems to be in the digital library from 769 on. Superman, Adventures of Superman and Superman: Man of Steel have bigger gaps, though. 

Action Comics 760, 761

Adventures of Superman 574, 575

Superman 152, 153

Man of Steel 95, 96

Arion: 11, 12

DC has been adding two issues of Arion: Lord of Atlantis a week for the last 6 weeks. There are 35 issues and a special, so there's a way to go before the series is completed.

DC Comics Presents: 75, 76

DCCP started out at a faster pace, but has been going two a week for a little while now. There are about 20 issues to go. Bonus: More Arion this week, in issue 75!

Guy Gardner: Warrior: 33

11 issues to go.

Huntress: 19, 4-issue 1994 series

We wrap up the Cavalieri/Staton ongoing that introduced Helena Bertinelli, and then power through a Chuck Dixon mini from 1994. Will Huntress return next week, or will we move on?

Justice League America (Bwa-ha-ha) 51, 52

This one has a ways to go before having everything available.

Manhunter: 34

Four more issues till it’s all there!

Mister Miracle: 23-25

This wraps up the 70s run – Kirby and then Marshall Rogers, it’s all there! (I think DC also recently wrapped the 70s Return of the New Gods run, too.)

Superman (Bronze Age): 233

This is an interesting one. The Kryptonite Nevermore cover – I’m surprised it wasn’t available before this. Will DC continue from here? Their 70s Superman offerings on Comixology are paltry.

Wanderers: 7, 8

This 80s Legion spinoff ran 13 issues, so we’re almost there.

Wonder Woman (Silver Age): 130, 131

DC has been making silver age Wonder Woman stories available, probably wishing to expand their catalog in anticipation of the movie. At this point the silver age issues go from 112-131, with a couple of gaps.

Swamp Thing (Diggle/Dysart run): 25

4 more issues to go.

Trigger: 5

This Vertigo sci-fi series lasted 8 issues. I don’t remember it at all.

That’s a pretty exhaustive look at this week’s offerings. Next week, I’ll probably just note new additions (what will replace Mister Miracle? The '89 and '96 series have already been collected, so we might be in for something new. And there might be more Huntress comics that haven't been reprinted yet, but Comixology has a bunch of them listed already, and the Bat-universe is so sprawling it's tough to search), unexpected omissions, breaks from the patterns, and go forward from there. 

And to make things easy to follow:
Week 2. (April 6, 2017)

Week 3 (April 13, 2017)

Week 4 (April 20, 2017)

Week 5 (April 27, 2017)

Week 6 (May 4, 2017)

Week 7 (May 11, 2017)

Week 8 (May 18, 2017)

Week 9 (May 25, 2017)

Week 10 (June 1, 2017) -- All the golden age Wonder Woman goodness!

Week 11 (June 8, 2017)

Week 12 (June 15, 2017)

Week 13 (June 22, 2017)

Week 14 (June 29, 2017)

Week 15 (July 6, 2017)

Week 16 (July 13, 2017) -- Our Worlds at War! Underworld Unleashed!

Week 17 (July 20, 2017) -- The Great Ten! More Wonder Woman!

Week 18 (July 27, 2017) -- Batman Confidential and Deathblow? Young Heroes in Love?? Doom Patrol!

Week 19 (Aug 3, 2017) -- Some Bronze-age Batman!

Week 20 (Aug 10, 2017) -- Loeb/Sale Challengers begins!

Week 21 (Aug 17, 2017) -- Silver Age Challs!

MIDWEEK SALE BLAST (Aug 22, 2017): Wildstorm!

Week 22 (Aug 24, 2017) -- Holding pattern...

Week 23 (Aug 31, 2017) -- chugging along

Week 24 (Sept 7, 2017) -- Same old, but with newer Challengers

Week 25 (Sept 14, 2017) -- Baron/Jones Deadman debuts

Week 26 (Sept 21, 2017) -- Holding steady, with more Deadman

Week 27 (Sept 28, 2017) -- Deadman in Action Comics Weekly?

Week 28 (Oct 5, 2017) -- A slow swerve into Batman

Week 29 (Oct 5, 2017) -- Doom Patrol finishes in the smallest week ever

The Gap List: a list of unexplained or awkward skips.

Views: 5955

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been on vacation this week, so just a quick round-up of Thursday's new DC backlist. 

Continuing, we have Detective Comics 316, Doom Patrol 5 & 6, and Hourman 11 & 12... a quickening of the pace for the latter two books. 

We've also got some newcomers. House of Mystery gets two issues, 174 & 175, which I think is where the classic Bronze Age material begins.(Pretty sure it's the first one Joe Orlando edited; it's a change of direction, since the previous issue featured "Dial H for Hero.") The only issues of the book we've seen previously have been the later "I... Vampire" issues. We also get House of Secrets #102, continuing an existing run. 

And then we get two first issues: The Roy & Dann Thomas/Dick Giordano Jonni Thunder, AKA Thunderbolt, and the Steve Gerber/Gene Colan Superman miniseries, The Phantom Zone. 

No sign of Arion, Lois Lane, Batman Family, or Human Defense Corps. 

DC's having a World of the Weird sale this week, and a Sandman sale all month. There are some cool and eclectic books in the weird sale, both in single issues and trade. If you haven't read the recent Bug! miniseries, I highly recommend it. 

I know I have that Gerber/Colan Phantom Zone series somewhere. As for Jonni Thunder, I never knew that one existed!

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

And then we get two first issues: The Roy & Dann Thomas/Dick Giordano Jonni Thunder, AKA Thunderbolt, and the Steve Gerber/Gene Colan Superman miniseries, The Phantom Zone. 

Yeah, the Phantom Zone series is great...I finally read it a couple years ago. I loved Jonni Thunder at the time, too. Very Philip Marlowe style detective story. She showed up in later issues of Infinity Inc., too, IIRC.

Mostly continuations this week! Nine titles in all.

We get new issues of Detective Comics (#317), Doom Patrol (#7), Arion the Immortal (#4), Hourman (two issues, 13 & 14), Jonni Thunder AKA Thunderbolt (#2), House of Secrets (check out the great Bernie Wrightson cover on issue 103!) and The Phantom Zone (#2). 

We also get L.A.W.: Living Assault Weapons #1, the horribly titled Charlton revival from 1999-2000 by Bob Layton and Dick Giordano...both ex-Charlton staffers, IIRC. This positions those heroes as a government strikeforce, IIRC. What's most interesting about this title is the timing. DC sometimes likes to release its backlist on Comixology to position it to tie in to a future event...such as the original Wild Dog comics being released a couple months before Wild Dog's appearance on Arrow.  As for what LAW could presage? ...well, Dr. Anj at Comic Box Commentary has some ideas.

This week's DC sale is DC Ones, featuring discounts on first issues and first collections. And you will simply not find a better bargain than Brandee Stilwell & Ron Randall's Sasquatch Detective Special, originally $7.99, for just 99 cents. Packed with heart and humor, this book has a full-length origin story along with reprinting the backup stories from Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles. Spend a buck: this is charming stuff. 

Nine more! All continuations, so just a quick rundown:

We get new issues of Detective Comics (#318), Doom Patrol (#8), Hourman (two issues, 15 & 16), Jonni Thunder AKA Thunderbolt (#3), House of Secrets (#104), L.A.W. (#2), Lois Lane (back after a few weeks with issue 8) and The Phantom Zone (#3).  No Arion this week! 

DC's got a 60% off sale for everything but the most recent books. Just type in DC60 and the discount is yours! And if you combine it with their month-long Sandman sale, the discount really adds up!

Another nine books, all continuations. I'm literally cutting and pasting here, and just changing the numbers.

We get new issues of Detective Comics (#319), Doom Patrol (#9), Hourman (two issues, 17 & 18), Jonni Thunder AKA Thunderbolt (#4), House of Secrets (#105), L.A.W. (#3), Lois Lane (#8) and The Phantom Zone (#4).  No Arion this week! But Phantom Zone and Jonni Thunder are concluded, so presumably we'll have something new show up next week.

DC has a hidden gems sale... including volumes 1 & 2 of Sandman Mystery Theatre, a book I'm currently enjoying a re-read of. And Volume 2 has the only digital reprint of the SMT annual, which isn't available as a single issue. Both books are available for $5.99 apiece. The collection brings you up to #24 of the 7-part series. (Of course, the whole series is available on Comixology Unlimited.) Other things worth looking into: Scalped, Sleeper, Sheriff of Babylon, and The Wild Storm.

I was off on vacation last week, so I missed Thursday's releases. I'm sure it's just more of the same...

...WHAT THE HOLY HELL? They actually released the Arion Special??? The conclusion to the original Arion series? It's been hanging out on the Gap List for a couple of years now! 25 months, in fact -- the last issue of the original series, #35, was released on Comixology in late June 2017. And then...nothing for 2+ years.

OK, let's see what else is cooking.

Beyond the Arion, Lord of Atlantis Special, we also get Arion the Immortal #5, the penultimate chapter of a six-part series. Let's see if they leave us hanging for two years before we get to #6.

We also get Detective Comics 320, Doom Patrol 10, Lois Lane 10, Hourman 19 & 20, and L.A.W. 4 (of 6). Hourman lasted 25 issues, so we'll have a few more weeks of it. Doom Patrol went up to 18, so at the current pace, it'll last two more months. 

Also, we get no House of Secrets this week, but we do get House of Mystery 176, picking up from the last two issues, released in the beginning of July. 

DC's sale this week is called the Master Class sale, focusing on their best creators, I presume. It includes recent issues of Justice League, Superman, Green Lantern, Batman, and more -- plus older comics from those same creators. 

Only six books today... and five of them are curveballs! Let's go!

First up we've got Doom Patrol #11 -- the only book continued from last week. No Hourman, no Lois Lane, not even Detective Comics. 

Instead, we get Bruce Wayne: The Road Home Batgirl, one of 8 one-shots released after The Return of Bruce Wayne in 2010. The collected edition is online, but this is the first of the one-shots to be available on its own. By Brian Q Miller and Pere Perez; the Batgirl at the time was Steph Brown. Looking back on these, it's interesting to see how DC piggybacks superfluous content onto popular properties. 

Speaking of which, Deadman: Dead Again was a five-issue miniseries from 2001 in which Deadman revisits the deaths (and other turning points) of major DC characters, starting with Barry Allen's death in Crisis. The first issue is available this week. 

On the other hand, tying in to absolutely nothing is the first issue of World Without End, Jaime Delano & John Higgins's 6-issue science-fiction miniseries about a war between the sexes in a male-supremacist society. Given the creators and the content, a few years later, this would probably have been published as a Vertigo title. But in 1990, Vertigo was still 3 years away, even though the spirit was alive. (And yep, it was edited by Karen Berger, with Tom Peyer as assistant ed.)

And finally, we have two Legion annuals: Legion of Superheroes Annual #1, from the Baxter era (Who Shot Laurel Kent), and Legionnaires Annual #1, one of the Elseworlds annuals, positioning them as a sci-fi Knights of the Round Table.  There were four annuals in the Baxter run of the Legion, and this is the first to be reprinted; Legionnaires had three annuals, and now only #3 (a Legends of Dead Earth annual) is missing.

Sales-wise, DC is having a Vertigo sale... not sure what, if anything, I'll pick up, but you could do a lot worst than getting Sandman Mystery Theatre vols. 1 & 2 -- that's 25 issues of a fantastic period mystery comic for $12 total. Or treat yourself to any of the more than a dozen volumes of Astro City available. Man, that's a good comic, and you can start anywhere.

I remember the Deadman mini-series, but I honestly can't remember if I bought it or not...

Oh man, I finally looked up that Doom Patrol series. I remember it now. I didn't like the main series, and I hated the Metal Men back-up it had. It was at that point I realized that me and Keith Giffen had drifted apart, as it had been year since I had enjoyed anything written by him. He and DeMatteis wrote it. I think I only made to 4-6 issues of that series.

I think I bought the first issue of Deadman, at least. I'll pretty much buy anything with the Flash in it, and especially Barry in those Barry-less years.

As for Doom Patrol, you're thinking of the 2009 series. This is the 2004 series by John Byrne. I didn't stick with either series all the way through. (Nor have I stuck around for this current series; maybe I'll read it collected. 

There was also a 2001 series, not yet on Comixology. It had mostly new characters and lasted 22 issues, which seems amazing in this day and age.

Dang it. I blame the internet for leading me astray on that. I did think that 2004 seemed an awful long time ago for that Doom Patrol series.

Honestly, time is all a big mishmosh to me now. In comics, anything from 1998 to 2011 has been put in a giant blender. The only reason I knew one Doom Patrol series from another was that I specifically looked them up...and to be honest, I'd totally forgotten the 2009 version, or conflated it with the 2001 series somehow. It's all a delicious superhero slurry.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service