A while back, I logged some week-to-week posts on DC’s digital reprint program through Comixology. It’s been a while, and their digital offerings have matured, so I thought I’d take another look at what they’re adding each week. Currently, they seem to be doing about 30 books a week. I might not list all the issue numbers going forward – if the 90s Superman titles continue moving forward at two of each a week, there’s not much value in listing each issue. But let’s take a look at this week’s, and let’s see where the patterns take us, shall we?

90s Superman: DC is following the 90s Superman titles (soon to be the 2000s Superman, as this week’s titles are from December 1999) pretty quickly, giving us 8 issues of the books every week. There’s a lot of material to get through, but that’s still an admirable clip. We may only have a few more weeks of this, judging by Action Comics (the one title of the bunch that doesn’t change its numbering and continues for a long while) – 761 is the most recent issue, and Action already seems to be in the digital library from 769 on. Superman, Adventures of Superman and Superman: Man of Steel have bigger gaps, though. 

Action Comics 760, 761

Adventures of Superman 574, 575

Superman 152, 153

Man of Steel 95, 96

Arion: 11, 12

DC has been adding two issues of Arion: Lord of Atlantis a week for the last 6 weeks. There are 35 issues and a special, so there's a way to go before the series is completed.

DC Comics Presents: 75, 76

DCCP started out at a faster pace, but has been going two a week for a little while now. There are about 20 issues to go. Bonus: More Arion this week, in issue 75!

Guy Gardner: Warrior: 33

11 issues to go.

Huntress: 19, 4-issue 1994 series

We wrap up the Cavalieri/Staton ongoing that introduced Helena Bertinelli, and then power through a Chuck Dixon mini from 1994. Will Huntress return next week, or will we move on?

Justice League America (Bwa-ha-ha) 51, 52

This one has a ways to go before having everything available.

Manhunter: 34

Four more issues till it’s all there!

Mister Miracle: 23-25

This wraps up the 70s run – Kirby and then Marshall Rogers, it’s all there! (I think DC also recently wrapped the 70s Return of the New Gods run, too.)

Superman (Bronze Age): 233

This is an interesting one. The Kryptonite Nevermore cover – I’m surprised it wasn’t available before this. Will DC continue from here? Their 70s Superman offerings on Comixology are paltry.

Wanderers: 7, 8

This 80s Legion spinoff ran 13 issues, so we’re almost there.

Wonder Woman (Silver Age): 130, 131

DC has been making silver age Wonder Woman stories available, probably wishing to expand their catalog in anticipation of the movie. At this point the silver age issues go from 112-131, with a couple of gaps.

Swamp Thing (Diggle/Dysart run): 25

4 more issues to go.

Trigger: 5

This Vertigo sci-fi series lasted 8 issues. I don’t remember it at all.

That’s a pretty exhaustive look at this week’s offerings. Next week, I’ll probably just note new additions (what will replace Mister Miracle? The '89 and '96 series have already been collected, so we might be in for something new. And there might be more Huntress comics that haven't been reprinted yet, but Comixology has a bunch of them listed already, and the Bat-universe is so sprawling it's tough to search), unexpected omissions, breaks from the patterns, and go forward from there. 

And to make things easy to follow:
Week 2. (April 6, 2017)

Week 3 (April 13, 2017)

Week 4 (April 20, 2017)

Week 5 (April 27, 2017)

Week 6 (May 4, 2017)

Week 7 (May 11, 2017)

Week 8 (May 18, 2017)

Week 9 (May 25, 2017)

Week 10 (June 1, 2017) -- All the golden age Wonder Woman goodness!

Week 11 (June 8, 2017)

Week 12 (June 15, 2017)

Week 13 (June 22, 2017)

Week 14 (June 29, 2017)

Week 15 (July 6, 2017)

Week 16 (July 13, 2017) -- Our Worlds at War! Underworld Unleashed!

Week 17 (July 20, 2017) -- The Great Ten! More Wonder Woman!

Week 18 (July 27, 2017) -- Batman Confidential and Deathblow? Young Heroes in Love?? Doom Patrol!

Week 19 (Aug 3, 2017) -- Some Bronze-age Batman!

Week 20 (Aug 10, 2017) -- Loeb/Sale Challengers begins!

Week 21 (Aug 17, 2017) -- Silver Age Challs!

MIDWEEK SALE BLAST (Aug 22, 2017): Wildstorm!

Week 22 (Aug 24, 2017) -- Holding pattern...

Week 23 (Aug 31, 2017) -- chugging along

Week 24 (Sept 7, 2017) -- Same old, but with newer Challengers

Week 25 (Sept 14, 2017) -- Baron/Jones Deadman debuts

Week 26 (Sept 21, 2017) -- Holding steady, with more Deadman

Week 27 (Sept 28, 2017) -- Deadman in Action Comics Weekly?

Week 28 (Oct 5, 2017) -- A slow swerve into Batman

Week 29 (Oct 5, 2017) -- Doom Patrol finishes in the smallest week ever

The Gap List: a list of unexplained or awkward skips.

Views: 6207

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nine issues uploaded this week, down from 11 last week. Here goes!

Still no Arion the Immortal 6. (Says the guy who hasn’t bought issues 1-5. And didn’t buy past issue 2 when they were first published on paper, decades ago.)

The continuations continue:  Superman 5, Detective Comics 327, Hourman 24 (the second-to-last issue), Deadman 3, Nathaniel Dusk 3, House of Mystery 181, and House of Secrets 112, and Bruce Wayne: The Road Home: The Outsiders (I think that’s the last of ‘em). We also get the first issue of the preceding run of Doom Patrol, from John Arcudi & Tan Eng Huat in 2001, which lasted 22 issues. 

But let’s take a moment to acknowledge this week’s Detective 327, and last week’s 326. First of all, I’m astonished that Detective 327 wasn’t already available on Comixology, as its such a landmark issue (first “New Look” Batman). But also -- this might be the first time since the 60s that people have had easy access to both those issues, letting them see what a huge leap in style and content the “New Look” Batman really was. Side-by-side, a month or so apart, they look like they were published in different decades. I’m planning on buying both of them to celebrate and study them further, just to get a sense of the seismic shift the New Look had on the Bat-universe. (Seeing it from the future, the comic doesn’t look revolutionary... it just looks like Batman as we’ve always known him. But to a kid picking it up in March of 1964? It must have been a mind-blower.)

Also, for anyone interested in the new Hill House comics from DC’s Black Label, there’s a free sampler available.

The sale this week is Recent Hits... so, if for instance you missed out on Naomi, the series is available for a buck an issue now (aside from $2 for the final one). Good timing, as she appears in Action Comics this week!

Rob said

Still no Arion the Immortal 6. (Says the guy who hasn’t bought issues 1-5. And didn’t buy past issue 2 when they were first published on paper, decades ago.)

That is still 2 more issues than me!

I was going to make a snarky remark about how can Naomi, be a "recent hit" if it only lasted 6 issues. Apparently, it is coming back in 2020. 

Yeah, it was actually a pretty huge launch. They're waiting for the original artist to do Season 2.

Eight DC books this week on Comixology... but I'm mostly going to talk about one.

First up, though, some continuations: Detective Comics 328, Hourman 25 (the final issue), Deadman 4, Doom Patrol 2, House of Mystery 182, Lois Lane 16, Jimmy Olsen 3. These are all continuations of recent releases, even though some of them don't appear weekly. 

And then there's Joker 10...a book that was never released in print, at least before the publication of the Joker omnibus. It's the final issue of the 1975-76 Joker series. The cover says he fights the Justice League in the issue. Even more interesting (to me) is that the preview pages show him making a deal with the devil...who appears to him as a dead ringer for Elton John.  OK, DC, take my money!

There are a few concurrent sales right now -- a Joker sale and a DCTV sale both run through the month, and there's a Volume 1 sale as well. My interest is in the DCTV sale... there's a lot of Hellblazer collections available, including plenty from after when I'd dropped the book. But man, nothing I see looks like a better use of my money than an issue where the Joker sells his soul to Elton John. 

Eight more books this week -- let's see what we've got!

As usual, it's mostly continuations: Detective Comics 329, Deadman 5, Doom Patrol 3, House of Mystery 183, House of Secrets 114 (apparently issue 113 was released last week, but didn't show up when I looked), Superman 7.

We've also got the final issue of the first Nathaniel Dusk miniseries, issue 4. 

Plus we're starting the Son of Ambush Bug miniseries, and get the first issue this week. It lasted 6 issues, IIRC. 

Along with the month-long Joker sale and DCTV sale, there's also a Harley Quinn sale this week. Lots of her solo series are represented, as well as her time with the Suicide Squad and Gotham City Sirens. I really enjoyed what I've read of the title when Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner were at the helm... and for a fun, done-in-one trade, I'd recommend Harley Quinn & Power Girl. 

There was something bizarre about this series--one of the issues was completely cancelled by Dan Didio at the time for an unknown reason. They tried to make a joke out of it by adding an issue seven, which still made it a six-issue series, but as far as I know, it was never really explained.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Plus we're starting the Son of Ambush Bug miniseries, and get the first issue this week. It lasted 6 issues, IIRC. 

I think you're thinking of Ambush Bug: Year None, a miniseries from 2008-2009. (And I wonder what I can find out about that delay, so long after the fact!) Son of Ambush Bug was the immediate sequel to the Ambush Bug miniseries, published in 1986.

One speculated reason for the delay and contents change was that editor Jann Jones might have been included as a character, and by that time she had left the company.

Oh, yes! I think that is the one where every issue ends with “Next Issue: Darkseid!!!”

I think you're right! The one with Darkseid serving fries at McDonald's is a classic. 

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

Oh, yes! I think that is the one where every issue ends with “Next Issue: Darkseid!!!”

Just got back from vacation in New Orleans, so I missed last week's releases. Here's a quick list, without commentary, since I'm playing catch=up on a LOT of things today...

Deadman 6

Detective Comics 330

Doom Patrol 4

Nathaniel Dusk 1 (the 1986 series, Apple Peddlers Die at Noon)

House of Mystery 184

House of Secrets 115

Son of Ambush Bug 2

Superman 8

Lois Lane 20

Jimmy Olsen 7

Okay, that's a weird skip for Jimmy Olsen (missing 4-6) and Lois Lane (missing 17-19), and I'm going to put them on the Gap List.

And today's list the same as last week, but with the numbers all gong up one -- with two exceptions. It looks like the Lois and Jimmy jumps have been noticed, so they're going back and filling in the gaps. 

Deadman 7 (just two more issues)

Detective Comics 331 (we've got approximately 30 more issues of this New Look Batman gap)

Doom Patrol 5

Nathaniel Dusk: Apple Peddlers Die at Noon 2

House of Mystery 185

House of Secrets 116

Son of Ambush Bug 3

Superman 9

Lois Lane 17

Jimmy Olsen 4

The sale this week is focused on Jim Lee, with the likes of Batman: Hush, Superman: For Tomorrow, and others being on sale. But there are some oddities, like Flinch, as well. And strangely enough, I don't see any WildCATS collections.

Lo and behold.... we've got one to take off the Gap List this week! Arion the Immortal #6 has landed! 

Along with 8 other books, all follow-ups from last week:

Deadman 8 (one more issue!)

Detective Comics 332 (I have this issue in print, and it's your go-to book if you want to see the Joker ride an ostrich)

Doom Patrol 6

Nathaniel Dusk: Apple Peddlers Die at Noon 3

House of Mystery 186

House of Secrets 117

Son of Ambush Bug 4

Superman 10

No Jimmy or Lois this week, but patience is a virtue. We got ARION completed, fer cryin' out loud!

As for the DC sale, it's a Halloween sale. I'm planning on buying Books of Magic (new series) volume 1, as this week's new Hellblazer indicates that there's a crossover coming, and I'd like to be a little versed in how young Tim is doing these days. There's also plenty of horror on sale from plenty of other publishers, too!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service