A while back, I logged some week-to-week posts on DC’s digital reprint program through Comixology. It’s been a while, and their digital offerings have matured, so I thought I’d take another look at what they’re adding each week. Currently, they seem to be doing about 30 books a week. I might not list all the issue numbers going forward – if the 90s Superman titles continue moving forward at two of each a week, there’s not much value in listing each issue. But let’s take a look at this week’s, and let’s see where the patterns take us, shall we?

90s Superman: DC is following the 90s Superman titles (soon to be the 2000s Superman, as this week’s titles are from December 1999) pretty quickly, giving us 8 issues of the books every week. There’s a lot of material to get through, but that’s still an admirable clip. We may only have a few more weeks of this, judging by Action Comics (the one title of the bunch that doesn’t change its numbering and continues for a long while) – 761 is the most recent issue, and Action already seems to be in the digital library from 769 on. Superman, Adventures of Superman and Superman: Man of Steel have bigger gaps, though. 

Action Comics 760, 761

Adventures of Superman 574, 575

Superman 152, 153

Man of Steel 95, 96

Arion: 11, 12

DC has been adding two issues of Arion: Lord of Atlantis a week for the last 6 weeks. There are 35 issues and a special, so there's a way to go before the series is completed.

DC Comics Presents: 75, 76

DCCP started out at a faster pace, but has been going two a week for a little while now. There are about 20 issues to go. Bonus: More Arion this week, in issue 75!

Guy Gardner: Warrior: 33

11 issues to go.

Huntress: 19, 4-issue 1994 series

We wrap up the Cavalieri/Staton ongoing that introduced Helena Bertinelli, and then power through a Chuck Dixon mini from 1994. Will Huntress return next week, or will we move on?

Justice League America (Bwa-ha-ha) 51, 52

This one has a ways to go before having everything available.

Manhunter: 34

Four more issues till it’s all there!

Mister Miracle: 23-25

This wraps up the 70s run – Kirby and then Marshall Rogers, it’s all there! (I think DC also recently wrapped the 70s Return of the New Gods run, too.)

Superman (Bronze Age): 233

This is an interesting one. The Kryptonite Nevermore cover – I’m surprised it wasn’t available before this. Will DC continue from here? Their 70s Superman offerings on Comixology are paltry.

Wanderers: 7, 8

This 80s Legion spinoff ran 13 issues, so we’re almost there.

Wonder Woman (Silver Age): 130, 131

DC has been making silver age Wonder Woman stories available, probably wishing to expand their catalog in anticipation of the movie. At this point the silver age issues go from 112-131, with a couple of gaps.

Swamp Thing (Diggle/Dysart run): 25

4 more issues to go.

Trigger: 5

This Vertigo sci-fi series lasted 8 issues. I don’t remember it at all.

That’s a pretty exhaustive look at this week’s offerings. Next week, I’ll probably just note new additions (what will replace Mister Miracle? The '89 and '96 series have already been collected, so we might be in for something new. And there might be more Huntress comics that haven't been reprinted yet, but Comixology has a bunch of them listed already, and the Bat-universe is so sprawling it's tough to search), unexpected omissions, breaks from the patterns, and go forward from there. 

And to make things easy to follow:
Week 2. (April 6, 2017)

Week 3 (April 13, 2017)

Week 4 (April 20, 2017)

Week 5 (April 27, 2017)

Week 6 (May 4, 2017)

Week 7 (May 11, 2017)

Week 8 (May 18, 2017)

Week 9 (May 25, 2017)

Week 10 (June 1, 2017) -- All the golden age Wonder Woman goodness!

Week 11 (June 8, 2017)

Week 12 (June 15, 2017)

Week 13 (June 22, 2017)

Week 14 (June 29, 2017)

Week 15 (July 6, 2017)

Week 16 (July 13, 2017) -- Our Worlds at War! Underworld Unleashed!

Week 17 (July 20, 2017) -- The Great Ten! More Wonder Woman!

Week 18 (July 27, 2017) -- Batman Confidential and Deathblow? Young Heroes in Love?? Doom Patrol!

Week 19 (Aug 3, 2017) -- Some Bronze-age Batman!

Week 20 (Aug 10, 2017) -- Loeb/Sale Challengers begins!

Week 21 (Aug 17, 2017) -- Silver Age Challs!

MIDWEEK SALE BLAST (Aug 22, 2017): Wildstorm!

Week 22 (Aug 24, 2017) -- Holding pattern...

Week 23 (Aug 31, 2017) -- chugging along

Week 24 (Sept 7, 2017) -- Same old, but with newer Challengers

Week 25 (Sept 14, 2017) -- Baron/Jones Deadman debuts

Week 26 (Sept 21, 2017) -- Holding steady, with more Deadman

Week 27 (Sept 28, 2017) -- Deadman in Action Comics Weekly?

Week 28 (Oct 5, 2017) -- A slow swerve into Batman

Week 29 (Oct 5, 2017) -- Doom Patrol finishes in the smallest week ever

The Gap List: a list of unexplained or awkward skips.

Views: 7240

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You might be thinking of "Private Eye,' the first story in Graphic Ink, a Darwyn Cooke retrospective. It's actually from Talent Showcase (which I presume was a re-named New Talent Showcase, from the 80s). And yeah, you can see just the barest hints of his style, but they're there. Thanks for inspiring me to pull that book off my shelf to take a look.

I just picked up a handful of that book at a con, and found work from Steve Lightle, Mindy Newell (who signed her issue!), Greg Shoemaker, and Stan Woch. 

Yes, Graphic Ink! They only did a small handful of those, but I really liked them.

I have that, Batman: Ego and Other Tails, Before Watchmen, and my New Frontier Absolute Edition all pulled off the shelf right now for a Darywn read-through.

I still have yet to complete my Parker collection, otherwise I'd add that to the pile. Plus, I just realized that I do have the Spider-Man Tangled Web omnibus which contains some of his work as well.

He is one man who is just gone too soon.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

You might be thinking of "Private Eye,' the first story in Graphic Ink, a Darwyn Cooke retrospective. It's actually from Talent Showcase (which I presume was a re-named New Talent Showcase, from the 80s). And yeah, you can see just the barest hints of his style, but they're there. Thanks for inspiring me to pull that book off my shelf to take a look.

17 more issues on Comixology, making progress through three of the series we're following:

First up, two more issues of Backlash, 16 & 17. As I've said before, this one goes to issue 32, so we've got two more months at this pace.

Next up is the endless well of Detective Comics, from 593 to 602, with the exception of 595, an Invasion tie-in that's been on the system for a few years. Up through 650, there are only a handful of issues missing: 603, 610-614, 616, 617, 639-641, 651, and that's might be it until the end of the series at 881. (There might be some annuals missing, or a 1 million issue, but the 0 issue is there.) Also, 585, which I put on the gap list a couple of weeks ago, looks like it was just a glitch; it's listed as being added on January 3 like the issues on either side of it.) Prior to this run, we're missing 579, 563, and 546 as well. And then more further back.

And then there's Who's Who! We get issues 13-18 here, so it's been 6 issues every week, like clockwork!

Sale-wise, the theme is DC on TV -- which means Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Black Lightning, Constantine, Firestorm, Titans, DC Superhero Girls, Preacher, Smallville, Lucifer, Young Justice, iZombie, and more. Wow, there's a lot of comic book TV these days.

Rob, you could have won all of my money on a bet on how many issues that Backlash series ran. 32 issues seems like just so many in this day and age.

But hey, I loved Who's Who!

This is a book that I actually do own in old hard copy form. Actually, it's a bit untrue to call them "hard" copies, as they are actually incredibly soft, and many of them are about to fall apart. Still, they smell so good. :)

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

But hey, I loved Who's Who!

We've got more of the same on Comixology this week!

First up: Two more issues of Backlash, 18 & 19. And yeah, Travis, 32 issues seems like a lifetime these days!

Next, six issues of Detective Comics: 603 and 610-614. Filling in those gaps!

Also, we wrap up the original run of Who's Who with issues 19-26. There's still Update 87, Update 88, the Impact, Legion, and Star Trek versions (of which I suspect we'll only see the Legion for licensing reasons), and the 1990-1992 looseleaf-binder revamp, along with its 1993 update. Will we get to all this? Who's Who knows?  

And finally, we get issue 1 of 2002's four-part Elseworlds story JLA: Destiny. By John Arcudi and Tom Mandrake, this series is about a JLA without Superman or Batman, where the criminals are emboldened and more terrifying. With Tom Mandrake art, I'm sorely tempted by this one.

DC's sale is Girl Power themed, with Batgirl, Birds of Prey, Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn, Catwoman, and more. Also there's iZombie, Mother Panic, Promethea, and some more choices worth seeking out. 

I think I bought the JLA: Destiny, series but I'm not certain. It certainly sounds familiar. Although, after looking at the cover from issue 1, it doesn't look familiar, so maybe not.

WS, I still have my hard copy of Whos' Who too. Very cool to hear you have yoursI also got the '87 and '88 update. Plus, the Legion one, but those are super beat-up. I've never bagged and boarded them, and I've taken them to a bunch of cons for when I get sketches for my (mostly) all LSH sketchbook as reference for the artist. 

I never got the Impact, or Star Trek series. I wasn't into those enough. The looseleaf one was just too crazy for me. I didn't have a binder, and it was just all over the place on who was in each "issue". I think I got 2 or 3 of them and then bailed.

I have seen a couple issues of this at Half Price Books, but never a full run of it. I will definitely get this, though, because I am on an Elseworlds reading tear right now.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

And finally, we get issue 1 of 2002's four-part Elseworlds story JLA: Destiny. By John Arcudi and Tom Mandrake, this series is about a JLA without Superman or Batman, where the criminals are emboldened and more terrifying. With Tom Mandrake art, I'm sorely tempted by this one.

I need to find all of those issues and gather them in one place and put them in a short box, shoe box, or somewhere where they're consolidated.

True fact: My very first comic book I ever purchased* was Who's Who Update '87. I still own it. I learned a lot from that issue, drew so many of the characters, and just imagined what the other comics were like. I think it was another two years before I bought another comic book, but not because I wasn't interested, it was just before I really started reading the proper story comic books.

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

WS, I still have my hard copy of Whos' Who too. Very cool to hear you have yoursI also got the '87 and '88 update. Plus, the Legion one, but those are super beat-up. I've never bagged and boarded them, and I've taken them to a bunch of cons for when I get sketches for my (mostly) all LSH sketchbook as reference for the artist. 

Wow, your first comics was a Who's Who? That's diving into the deep end!

I've still got all my Who's Whos, too -- the original series, the updates, the Legion version...and maybe there are still a handful of the looseleaf ones around somewhere. I know I got a few of them, but like Travis, I gave up on them pretty early. 

So here's what DC released on Thursday, Jan. 31!

First up: Three more Backlash issues, 20-22. We've got three or four more weeks of this book.

Next, one more issue of JLA: Destiny #2. DC has been releasing limited series all at once, so this seems like a test to see if it can get more sales from a regular release schedule instead of a chunk. (I think it's smarter; it makes people aware of the title 3 times instead of just the once.)

And then we've got a whole bunch of Detective Comics!

First up, we get more in the 600s: 616, 617, and 651. For some reason, 639-641 are still missing, but I think that's it for the 600s. 

Then we go back to fill some gaps in the 500s, with 500 (a great giant-size issue), 501 (an issue from the Gap List, the first part of a two-parter!), 514-517, 519-523. (502-513 and 518, skipped here, are already available.) 

I took a look at Detective, and from 500 through the end of the run, 881, here are the books that are missing (aside from annuals and weirdly numbered issues, though I notice the 0 issue is there): 524, 546, 563, 579, 630-641. That's it! (I'm throwing them all on the Gap List, since I'm also taking issue 501 off. 

This week's DC sale is "Tales from Outer Space," which features a bunch of space-themed books, as well as alternate world stuff. This includes a bunch of issues of classic Mystery In Space for only a dollah! You get Adam Strange, plus another DC sci-fi story or two!

There's a storm a-brewin'... a Wild Storm! 

DC's newest back-issue releases on Comixology include a bunch of issues of Detective Comics, and a couple of other things... but other than that, they're all from the Wildstorm imprint (some from back in the Image days).

First up, we get more Backlash -- issues 23-25. That leaves seven issues left in this series, which ends at 32.  

Next, we get Deathblow issue 15. The series lasted 30 issues, all told, and issues 1-14 are already available. The last issue is actually issue 0, with the previous one being issue 29. Thanks, The Nineties!

And finally, we've got Wildcats 13-17. This is the 1999-2001 run by Joe Casey and Sean Phillips, and is probably one I should check out, considering how much I love Phillips's art. I think it's this run that Sleeper spun out of, which gave us the Brubaker/Phillips pairing that does Criminal, The Fade Out, and other great noir books. 

OK, and from DC proper, we've got two parts of a Legion miniseries, Inferno 1-2. This is from the reboot Legion era, from the time the Legion was stuck in 20th century. Written and drawn by Stuart Immonen, with Wade Von Grabadger on inks, so the creative team is rock-solid.

We've also got the first issue of JLA: Incarnations, a 7-part look back at JLA history by John Ostrander and Val Semekis, a follow-up to Waid & Kitson's JLA; Year One. I remember liking this a lot, and thinking they did a really nice job rehabilitating the Detroit league, in particular.

No sign of issues 3 or 4 of JLA: Destiny, though. Maybe next week.

And finally, Detective Comics. Like last week, we get two eras of Tec: Most are in the early 400s, but we also get one issue from the early 500s: All told, it's issues 409, then 412-418, and also 524 (which closes up a gap from last week's run). After 418, there's a clear run through 439, and then more gaps from there. There are plenty of 400-numbered Detectives still waiting in the wings. (And don't even get me started on the 300s!)

As for DC's sales, it's Batman and the Flash, celebrating the crossover between those titles running this month. For the Flash, well, you really can't go wrong with The Flash by Mark Waid volumes 1-3. It follows Wally from issue 62 to issue 94, with a bunch of other side-trips into other titles like JLI and Green Lantern, as well!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service