A while back, I logged some week-to-week posts on DC’s digital reprint program through Comixology. It’s been a while, and their digital offerings have matured, so I thought I’d take another look at what they’re adding each week. Currently, they seem to be doing about 30 books a week. I might not list all the issue numbers going forward – if the 90s Superman titles continue moving forward at two of each a week, there’s not much value in listing each issue. But let’s take a look at this week’s, and let’s see where the patterns take us, shall we?

90s Superman: DC is following the 90s Superman titles (soon to be the 2000s Superman, as this week’s titles are from December 1999) pretty quickly, giving us 8 issues of the books every week. There’s a lot of material to get through, but that’s still an admirable clip. We may only have a few more weeks of this, judging by Action Comics (the one title of the bunch that doesn’t change its numbering and continues for a long while) – 761 is the most recent issue, and Action already seems to be in the digital library from 769 on. Superman, Adventures of Superman and Superman: Man of Steel have bigger gaps, though. 

Action Comics 760, 761

Adventures of Superman 574, 575

Superman 152, 153

Man of Steel 95, 96

Arion: 11, 12

DC has been adding two issues of Arion: Lord of Atlantis a week for the last 6 weeks. There are 35 issues and a special, so there's a way to go before the series is completed.

DC Comics Presents: 75, 76

DCCP started out at a faster pace, but has been going two a week for a little while now. There are about 20 issues to go. Bonus: More Arion this week, in issue 75!

Guy Gardner: Warrior: 33

11 issues to go.

Huntress: 19, 4-issue 1994 series

We wrap up the Cavalieri/Staton ongoing that introduced Helena Bertinelli, and then power through a Chuck Dixon mini from 1994. Will Huntress return next week, or will we move on?

Justice League America (Bwa-ha-ha) 51, 52

This one has a ways to go before having everything available.

Manhunter: 34

Four more issues till it’s all there!

Mister Miracle: 23-25

This wraps up the 70s run – Kirby and then Marshall Rogers, it’s all there! (I think DC also recently wrapped the 70s Return of the New Gods run, too.)

Superman (Bronze Age): 233

This is an interesting one. The Kryptonite Nevermore cover – I’m surprised it wasn’t available before this. Will DC continue from here? Their 70s Superman offerings on Comixology are paltry.

Wanderers: 7, 8

This 80s Legion spinoff ran 13 issues, so we’re almost there.

Wonder Woman (Silver Age): 130, 131

DC has been making silver age Wonder Woman stories available, probably wishing to expand their catalog in anticipation of the movie. At this point the silver age issues go from 112-131, with a couple of gaps.

Swamp Thing (Diggle/Dysart run): 25

4 more issues to go.

Trigger: 5

This Vertigo sci-fi series lasted 8 issues. I don’t remember it at all.

That’s a pretty exhaustive look at this week’s offerings. Next week, I’ll probably just note new additions (what will replace Mister Miracle? The '89 and '96 series have already been collected, so we might be in for something new. And there might be more Huntress comics that haven't been reprinted yet, but Comixology has a bunch of them listed already, and the Bat-universe is so sprawling it's tough to search), unexpected omissions, breaks from the patterns, and go forward from there. 

And to make things easy to follow:
Week 2. (April 6, 2017)

Week 3 (April 13, 2017)

Week 4 (April 20, 2017)

Week 5 (April 27, 2017)

Week 6 (May 4, 2017)

Week 7 (May 11, 2017)

Week 8 (May 18, 2017)

Week 9 (May 25, 2017)

Week 10 (June 1, 2017) -- All the golden age Wonder Woman goodness!

Week 11 (June 8, 2017)

Week 12 (June 15, 2017)

Week 13 (June 22, 2017)

Week 14 (June 29, 2017)

Week 15 (July 6, 2017)

Week 16 (July 13, 2017) -- Our Worlds at War! Underworld Unleashed!

Week 17 (July 20, 2017) -- The Great Ten! More Wonder Woman!

Week 18 (July 27, 2017) -- Batman Confidential and Deathblow? Young Heroes in Love?? Doom Patrol!

Week 19 (Aug 3, 2017) -- Some Bronze-age Batman!

Week 20 (Aug 10, 2017) -- Loeb/Sale Challengers begins!

Week 21 (Aug 17, 2017) -- Silver Age Challs!

MIDWEEK SALE BLAST (Aug 22, 2017): Wildstorm!

Week 22 (Aug 24, 2017) -- Holding pattern...

Week 23 (Aug 31, 2017) -- chugging along

Week 24 (Sept 7, 2017) -- Same old, but with newer Challengers

Week 25 (Sept 14, 2017) -- Baron/Jones Deadman debuts

Week 26 (Sept 21, 2017) -- Holding steady, with more Deadman

Week 27 (Sept 28, 2017) -- Deadman in Action Comics Weekly?

Week 28 (Oct 5, 2017) -- A slow swerve into Batman

Week 29 (Oct 5, 2017) -- Doom Patrol finishes in the smallest week ever

The Gap List: a list of unexplained or awkward skips.

Views: 6341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We've got a bigger, more diverse group of books this week... 12 in all. Not nearly as much as in the heyday, but beggars can't be choosers. Let's look, shall we?

First up, we've got continuations. We get issues 3 & 4 of Batman Family, bringing us to 13 of that title's 20 issues (before it moved on to Detective Comics, where the format lasted for another couple of years). 

We also get issue 310 of Detective Comics, a jump back 60-some issues from the most recent run posted... but continuing the earlier detective run from 309, made available back in mid-April. There's plenty of room for this run to grow, as the next issues of Tec on Comixology are 341 and then 359.

After a week off, we get Hourman 7, in which the android faces off against Amazo.

And we also get Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane #4. I'm looking forward to the new Lois book coming out next month...which promises to be nothing like these fun little sitcom trifles. Very glad they're getting around to reprinting these!

And then we've got some new starts. There's the first issue of another Deadman miniseries, by Andrew Helfer and Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez. I remember liking this one a lot when it came out. 

There's Ambush Bug #1 -- surely a milestone in any medium! Or large, for that matter. (Although we'll see the meaning of large when Quantis the Koala that Walks Like a Man arrives in issue 2!) Honestly, I might pick up this mini just because of the screen-grabs.

There's also the first issue of John Byrne's 2004 Doom Patrol revival. It lasted 18 issues, which I don't remember at all. 

We also get the first issue of Human Defense Corps, a 6-part paramilitary vs the unknown mini written by Ty Templeton. A solid series (and one that, in a complete coincidence, I'm selling on ebay right now).

And finally, we get the complete Kenner Toys tie-in Total Justice 1-3, which I completely ignored at the time. But it's a 3-part JLA story written by Christopher Priest, with a different penciller on each issue, but all inked by Dick Giordano (probably a result of tight deadlines for the toy launch). 

DC's sale this week is a spotlight on Geoff Johns. One good deal is JSA by Geoff Johns volume 1: The first 15 issues of that terrific run, all for $4.99! Even more fun might be Power Girl: Power Trip, with the JSA Classified story by Johns and Amanda Conner, followed by the first 12 issues of PG's solo title by Jimmy Palmiotti, Justin Gray, and Conner. Lighthearted super-fun.

I have no idea what possessed me to buy this miniseries back in the day (I probably didn't realize it was a toy tie-in, honestly), but I loved it.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

And finally, we get the complete Kenner Toys tie-in Total Justice 1-3, which I completely ignored at the time. But it's a 3-part JLA story written by Christopher Priest, with a different penciller on each issue, but all inked by Dick Giordano (probably a result of tight deadlines for the toy launch). 

Oh, that's great to hear! I'm glad there's a good JLA story from that period I haven't read yet!

DC put 10 new backlist books up on Comixology today -- let's see what we've got, shall we?

The only title we see two of is Detective Comics... we continue last week's run with issues 311 & 312. 

In fact, most of the books we get are continuations from last week. To wit:

We get the second issues of last week's debuts: Ambush Bug, Doom Patrol, Deadman, and Human Defense Corps. 

We also get Lois Lane #5, Hourman #8, and Batman Family #5. 

And finally, we get Arion the Immortal #1 -- the first of a 6-part revival for the wizard in 1992. Paul Kupperberg still writes the book, but the artist is now Ron Wilson. (The Arion: Lord of Atlantis Special that concluded the original series is still unaccounted for, although since this book showed up, I decided to mention it to DC & Comixology on Twitter. We;ll see if it turns up in the next few weeks.)

And that's it! The DC sale is "Events," which includes lots of recent events, plus single issues of things like Final Night and Crisis tie-in issues. Plus, there's the Batman Eternal, which Wandering Sensei has been talking up in the Batman thread! 

Just to note: A John Byrne's Doom Patrol Omnibus has been solicited, which helps explain why these issues are being reprinted on Comixology.  Which also means that the Doom Patrol tv show has probably been renewed for Season 2. 

Man, I think I was the one person on the planet who loved John Byrne's run on Doom Patrol. This Omnibus is really tempting.

Just to note: A John Byrne's Doom Patrol Omnibus has been solicited, which helps explain why these issues are being reprinted on Comixology.  Which also means that the Doom Patrol tv show has probably been renewed for Season 2. 

I remember it got a real critical drubbing. But that might be more that Byrne was being out of step with the times, and the continuity people preferred, than any problem with the comics themselves. Sometimes a little time can give those initially savaged titles some luster. Byrne being Byrne, he pretty much negated the Morrison run, right? I can see how some people would get up in arms about it. But since then, the Morrison run has proved to stand the test of time -- so much so that it feels like this version is the curio. 

I can't remember where the Vertigo-verse was at the time, but I was more than willing to accept that this was a different group that nobody else was using at the time. This was a great series. They also brought in Faith from Joe Kelly's JLA (and used her well for the first time), a gorilla character, and Metamorpho. So good!

I remember Faith and the gorilla character being involved (did he have four arms, maybe?), but totally forgot that Metamorpho joined up. Maybe I dropped the book before that happened. Seems worth checking out!

Yes, I think you are right! I also remember Belle Reve Prison being involved. Wasn't this kind of a spin-off of a JLA: Classified story by Claremont and Byrne, with inks by Jerry Ordway?

By the way, I know that was at least a story in JLA: C, even if it wasn't what led to Doom Patrol. John Byrne art is great, but John Byrne art with inks by Jerry Ordway is beautiful stuff.

...the gorilla character being involved (did he have four arms, maybe?)

This week is all continuations, with 10 more issues available.

Again we see two issues of Detective Comics... continuing with issues 313 & 314. 

We get the third issues of the recent debuts: Ambush Bug, Doom Patrol, Deadman, and Human Defense Corps. 

We also get Arion the Immortal #2, Lois Lane #6, Hourman #9, and Batman Family #7.  (Issue 6 was already available; the only ones remaining are issues 10, 12, 15, 18, and 20.)

And that's it! This week's sale is focused on Superman. If you want to get the issues of Action Comics leading up to Event Leviathan, they're 99 cents apiece. Plenty of other good stuff there too!

Here's what we've got this week! 

For the most part, it's more continuations. Only one issue of Detective Comics this time, 315. 

We get the fourth issues of Ambush Bug, Doom Patrol, Deadman, and Human Defense Corps.  That's it for Ambush Bug and Deadman, though both characters have other series and one-shots they could continue into next week. Human Defense Corps has two issues to go. 

We also get Arion the Immortal #3 (one issue to go), Lois Lane #7, Hourman #10, and Batman Family #10.  (Leaving only issues 12, 15, 18, and 20.)

We also get both issues of the two-part Two-Face: Year One by Mark Sable, Jeremy Haun, and Jesus Saiz. I don't remember this well, but I do love the covers by Mark Chiarello -- especially the first one. 

DC's sale focuses on the Justice League... but it also includes a single-volume collection of DC/Dark Horse crossovers, like Superman/Predator, Batman/Hellboy/Starman, and Batgirl/Ghost. Sounds like fun -- and probably something that won't get reprinted physically if it's out of print these days. It's also a great time to check out Justice League 3000 in trades (now that the Legion is coming back, I might finally be able to view this placeholder series objectively), or catch up on the new Justice League mags -- either in single issues or trades. I might scoop up some JL Odyssey, a book I enjoyed the first couple issues of, but not quite enough to keep up with it. 

Also, it should be noted that with the JLA Silver Age collections, you can get the entirety of the contents of JLA Archives 1-5 for just $24 during the sale. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service