A while back, I logged some week-to-week posts on DC’s digital reprint program through Comixology. It’s been a while, and their digital offerings have matured, so I thought I’d take another look at what they’re adding each week. Currently, they seem to be doing about 30 books a week. I might not list all the issue numbers going forward – if the 90s Superman titles continue moving forward at two of each a week, there’s not much value in listing each issue. But let’s take a look at this week’s, and let’s see where the patterns take us, shall we?

90s Superman: DC is following the 90s Superman titles (soon to be the 2000s Superman, as this week’s titles are from December 1999) pretty quickly, giving us 8 issues of the books every week. There’s a lot of material to get through, but that’s still an admirable clip. We may only have a few more weeks of this, judging by Action Comics (the one title of the bunch that doesn’t change its numbering and continues for a long while) – 761 is the most recent issue, and Action already seems to be in the digital library from 769 on. Superman, Adventures of Superman and Superman: Man of Steel have bigger gaps, though. 

Action Comics 760, 761

Adventures of Superman 574, 575

Superman 152, 153

Man of Steel 95, 96

Arion: 11, 12

DC has been adding two issues of Arion: Lord of Atlantis a week for the last 6 weeks. There are 35 issues and a special, so there's a way to go before the series is completed.

DC Comics Presents: 75, 76

DCCP started out at a faster pace, but has been going two a week for a little while now. There are about 20 issues to go. Bonus: More Arion this week, in issue 75!

Guy Gardner: Warrior: 33

11 issues to go.

Huntress: 19, 4-issue 1994 series

We wrap up the Cavalieri/Staton ongoing that introduced Helena Bertinelli, and then power through a Chuck Dixon mini from 1994. Will Huntress return next week, or will we move on?

Justice League America (Bwa-ha-ha) 51, 52

This one has a ways to go before having everything available.

Manhunter: 34

Four more issues till it’s all there!

Mister Miracle: 23-25

This wraps up the 70s run – Kirby and then Marshall Rogers, it’s all there! (I think DC also recently wrapped the 70s Return of the New Gods run, too.)

Superman (Bronze Age): 233

This is an interesting one. The Kryptonite Nevermore cover – I’m surprised it wasn’t available before this. Will DC continue from here? Their 70s Superman offerings on Comixology are paltry.

Wanderers: 7, 8

This 80s Legion spinoff ran 13 issues, so we’re almost there.

Wonder Woman (Silver Age): 130, 131

DC has been making silver age Wonder Woman stories available, probably wishing to expand their catalog in anticipation of the movie. At this point the silver age issues go from 112-131, with a couple of gaps.

Swamp Thing (Diggle/Dysart run): 25

4 more issues to go.

Trigger: 5

This Vertigo sci-fi series lasted 8 issues. I don’t remember it at all.

That’s a pretty exhaustive look at this week’s offerings. Next week, I’ll probably just note new additions (what will replace Mister Miracle? The '89 and '96 series have already been collected, so we might be in for something new. And there might be more Huntress comics that haven't been reprinted yet, but Comixology has a bunch of them listed already, and the Bat-universe is so sprawling it's tough to search), unexpected omissions, breaks from the patterns, and go forward from there. 

And to make things easy to follow:
Week 2. (April 6, 2017)

Week 3 (April 13, 2017)

Week 4 (April 20, 2017)

Week 5 (April 27, 2017)

Week 6 (May 4, 2017)

Week 7 (May 11, 2017)

Week 8 (May 18, 2017)

Week 9 (May 25, 2017)

Week 10 (June 1, 2017) -- All the golden age Wonder Woman goodness!

Week 11 (June 8, 2017)

Week 12 (June 15, 2017)

Week 13 (June 22, 2017)

Week 14 (June 29, 2017)

Week 15 (July 6, 2017)

Week 16 (July 13, 2017) -- Our Worlds at War! Underworld Unleashed!

Week 17 (July 20, 2017) -- The Great Ten! More Wonder Woman!

Week 18 (July 27, 2017) -- Batman Confidential and Deathblow? Young Heroes in Love?? Doom Patrol!

Week 19 (Aug 3, 2017) -- Some Bronze-age Batman!

Week 20 (Aug 10, 2017) -- Loeb/Sale Challengers begins!

Week 21 (Aug 17, 2017) -- Silver Age Challs!

MIDWEEK SALE BLAST (Aug 22, 2017): Wildstorm!

Week 22 (Aug 24, 2017) -- Holding pattern...

Week 23 (Aug 31, 2017) -- chugging along

Week 24 (Sept 7, 2017) -- Same old, but with newer Challengers

Week 25 (Sept 14, 2017) -- Baron/Jones Deadman debuts

Week 26 (Sept 21, 2017) -- Holding steady, with more Deadman

Week 27 (Sept 28, 2017) -- Deadman in Action Comics Weekly?

Week 28 (Oct 5, 2017) -- A slow swerve into Batman

Week 29 (Oct 5, 2017) -- Doom Patrol finishes in the smallest week ever

The Gap List: a list of unexplained or awkward skips.

Views: 6341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll be off the grid for the next few days, so I won't be posting about this week's Comixology books until sometime next week. But I figured I'd mention that there's a Rebirth sale going this week, in case anyone wants to pick up a book they haven't tried yet!

A quick rundown, considering we're a couple days away from this week's entries. 12 books in all, and all different titles!

Batman Family #12 -- been a while since we've seen one of these. Only 3 left!

Bruce Wayne: The Road Home: Catwoman

Deadman: Dead Again #2 -- this one revisiting A Death in the Family

Detective Comics #321

Doom Patrol #12

House of Secrets #106

Human Defense Corps. #5 -- the long lost miniseries returns

L.A.W. (Living Assault Weapons) #5 -- the penultimate issue

Legion of Super-Heroes Annual #2

Legionnaires Annual #3

Superman's Girlfriend, Lois Lane #11

World Without End #2

Also, this week's sale is a Scot Snyder sale... it runs through next Monday. As I've been reading his Justice League in single issues bought on sale on Comixology, I'm happy to see there are a few more available for 99 cents!

This week is basically a repeat of last week... though there are a few miniseries ending here. So let's go:

Batman Family #15 -- two issues left, 18 & 20!

Bruce Wayne: The Road Home: Batman & Robin

Deadman: Dead Again #3 -- this one revisiting the death of Superman

Detective Comics #322

Doom Patrol #13

House of Secrets #107

Human Defense Corps. #6 -- last issue

L.A.W. (Living Assault Weapons) #6 -- last issue

Legion of Super-Heroes Annual #3 (out of 4)

Superman's Girlfriend, Lois Lane #12

World Without End #3

As I mentioned before, this week's sale is on Scott Snyder books. He's slipped off my "must-buy" list over the years, but check out his moody Batman: The Black Mirror stories, which put him on there in the first place. 

We get continuations on ten books this week! Let's get started!

Actually, before we begin, I want to point out that Hourman has fallen off the radar with only 5 issues (21-25) left to go. Also, there's just the final issue of Arion the Immortal outstanding... which I think I'll put on the Gap List.

But let's look at what we've actually got, shall we?

First up are the Batman books. We get Batman Family #18 (only issue 20 is left); another Bruce Wayne: The Road Home one-shot (Jim Gordon, this time); and another issue of Detective Comics, #323. 

In mystery title news, there's another issue of House of Secrets (108) and House of Mystery (177). And heck, let's throw Deadman in here as well -- his Dead Again mini gets its 4th issue, focusing on Green Lantern and Coast City this time. Meanwhile, the pre-Vertigo World Without End miniseries reaches issue 4.

For team books, John Byrne's Doom Patrol reaches issue 14, and Legion of Super-Heroes Annual 4, from the original Baxter series, finally gets reprinted. It's the last of those annuals.  

Plus, we've got Superman's Girlfriend, Lois Lane #13, with a cover that makes me want to buy the book. I've gotta know why Lois's head is in a safe!

DC's got a big Labor Day sale going on -- there's lots of good collections to pick up. And seriously, $6 for Multiversity, or all 12 issues of All-Star Superman is a steal!

Hey, Hourman's back! We've got a total of 11 books this week, most of them continuations.

First up, Hourman 21...bringing us only 4 issues away from the book's conclusion.

Doom Patrol has outpaced it -- we get issues 15 and 16 this week, laving only 2 more issues.

The mystery titles continue, with House of Secrets 109 and House of Mystery 178.

Deadman: Dead Again 5 also appears, concluding the series with an appearance by the Spectre. 

We get another Return of Bruce Wayne one-shot (Oracle), and are slowly but surely making our way through Detective Comics with issue 324. 

And then there's the Superman books. We get our customary  Superman's Girlfriend, Lois Lane 14 (with a Batman appearance, as Lois dresses as Batwoman), but we also get Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen 1...and Superman 2, a book I'm frankly astonished hasn't been available before, considering all the stories are in archives and omnibuses and the like. But the next available Golden Age issue of Superman is 34, so there's plenty of room to grow here. As for Jimmy Olsen, this is the first non-Kirby issue made available; the series ran to issue 163 before the title changed to Superman Family. (Lois's book lasted till issue 137, before her adventures were folded into Superman Family as well.)

There's a big Legion of Superheroes sale on till Monday, with basically all of DC's Legion offerings available. There are definitely gaps in the Adventure Comics run, but it's a whole lot of Legion goodness available for cheap. One warning: If you're interested in the Reboot Legion, don't buy Legion of Superheroes: The Beginning of Tomorrow. The collection Legionnaires Volume One covers all those stories and more for the same price. And there's a Volume 2 to follow it up with! Oh, and if you're looking for a collection of the original Legion Lost series, it's called Legion by Abnett and Lanning, volume 2. (Volume 1 is the mission against the Blight, which is what strands the Legionnaires.) 

There's also a big sale of Brian Bendis's comics with DC and Jinxworld, which is an impressive library in its own right. 

Nine books today, most of them continuations. Let's fast-forward through it, it's a busy day:

For the continuations, we've got Superman 3, Detective Comics 325, and Bruce Wayne: The Road Home: Ra's Al Ghul. (There's only two issues left of this series of one-shots, focusing on Red Robin and the Outsiders.) 

Also continuing are Hourman (22), Doom Patrol (17), House of Mystery (179) and House of Secrets (110). Since we just had a Deadman mini, the first issue of his 2001 ongoing (by Steve Vance and Josep Beroy; it only lasted 9 issues) seems like a continuation, too. 

And then we have Nathaniel Dusk #1. It's the first issue of a four-issue series by Don MacGregor and Gene Colan (which also had a later sequel, Nathaniel Dusk: Apple Peddlers Die at Noon). Hard-boiled detective stuff, and referenced in Doomsday Clock; this material was intended to appear in a hardcover collection, but it was canceled by DC, presumably because of sales. (A damn shame -- Colan's work on this series, in uninked charcoal pencil, is gorgeous!)

DC's sale this week is called "100 Graphic Novels to Read Before You Die," which makes me wonder if they know something I don't. Then again, they put Batman: Knightfall on this required-reading list, so I might very well be immortal. And even then, life's too short.

Ah, yes, Nathaniel Dusk. Its been in my unread boxes forever.  

Many years ago, a student proudly gave me the first of three fat volumes of Knightfall at the end of the year. Because of this gesture, I did go ahead and buy the second and third volumes as they came out. I still haven't read them (or re-read them, I should have said--I did read most of it as it came out).

More recently, I bought the follow ups, Prodigal and Troika, despite the fact that it probably put some money in Chuck Dixon's pocket. To this day, I look forward to reading through the whole thing and soaking in all its 90's glory.

Even then, the armored costume was ridiculous. I don't know how anyone would be able to move in it.

But still, I want to read it all the way through. I'm kind of a masochist. I would still love to read all the way through the Spider-Man Clone Saga.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

DC's sale this week is called "100 Graphic Novels to Read Before You Die," which makes me wonder if they know something I don't. Then again, they put Batman: Knightfall on this required-reading list, so I might very well be immortal. And even then, life's too short.

You know, I haven't read much of it, so I can't really comment on its quality. And it's certainly not the only inclusion on this list that seems suspect to me. (In my first draft, I singled out Aquaman: War for the Throne.) But not only does Knightfall strike me as not in the top 100 graphic novels ever, or even in the top 100 graphic novels DC ever published (because it's not like they can include Persepolis in this sale) -- but it might not even be in the top 100 Batman books they've ever put out. 

But with the talent involved, it's almost certainly competent serial Batman storytelling, even with the replacement stunt. But sheesh, I doubt I'll ever get around to it, considering the alternative to reading it is almost anything else. (Though I'd probably take it over the Spider-Clone mess, unless I had a purely academic interest in seeing how the intentions of the story kept changing in order to keep it going.)

Comics has done that so many times, and I've always hated it. A character has a great, sleek costume, and then they give them some clunky, terrible armored costume. Like Booster Gold after Superman "died" comes to mind. That terrible one they gave to Spider-man in Web of Spider-man #100:

Image result for web of spider-man #100

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

Even then, the armored costume was ridiculous. I don't know how anyone would be able to move in it.

Holy cow, I don't need spider-sense to tell me that's an eyesore.

Eleven issues uploaded this week. Let's get to 'em!

First up, still no Arion the Immortal 6.

But we do get a lot of continuations, including:  Superman 4, Detective Comics 326, Hourman 23, Deadman 2, Nathaniel Dusk 2, House of Mystery 180, and House of Secrets 111.  We also get the returns of Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane (15) and Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen (2). Plus, Bruce Wayne: The Road Home: Red Robin comes bop-bop-boppin' along. 

And we get the last issue of the John Byrne Doom Patrol, #18!

Anyway, that's it for this week. We haven't seen a new issue of World Without End for about a month now... that's not a good sign.  

This week's sale celebrates Batman Day, so there's a ton of Batman material to buy. Legends of the Dark Knight: Norm Breyfogle is certainly a worthy addition to your library. And more recently, there's Liam Sharp's Batman/Wonder Woman: The Brave and the Bold series collected for $4.99. Plus, there are tons of single issues for 99 cents a pop... including the entire opening arc of Peter Tomasi & Doug Mankhe's run on Detective Comics!

I'd expect upcoming sales to focus on the returning CW shows (either one by one or collectively), Halloween (especially since we're seeing a lot of old DC mystery books get added), and Watchmen (once the HBO series hits on Oct 20).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service