The good Cmdr. b*tch*s to-day about modern TV series lacking distinctive theme song , I recall the theme song to " Lotas Luck " with Dom DeLuise...Let's discuss themes from TV shows of old here !:-)!!!!!!!!

You know , O/my Captian , this is when the now-lack of the videos-adding function is really showing:-)<WINK>...

Basically , modern-era TV series tend to lack disticntive  theme songs because of the modern-day network philosopy that KEWWLL! HIP! ON THE CUTTING EDGE! viewers are PERPETUALLY armes w/their remotes , and have to GRABBED! by hhe b*lls immediately - Oh , and the fact that , since the Reagan-era dumping of old regultions regarding TV (which may have started under Carter I guess) , the number of commecials stuffed into each hour of commecial TV , especially?? prime-time , has VASTLY gone up...

With both of these factors , I suppoe it is thought that a minute devoted to telling us that here's the story of a lovely lady , or not to do the crime if we can't do the time is a running-boadrds level relic of a more leisurely , pre-modern , world .

Actually , I could point out that many of the TV themes we aging nostalgic Boomers get all rosy-eyed about were themes from CHILDREN'S show , if not actual than " sort-of " early evening run and then endless late afternoon/6-7 PM reruns fodder , and , say , SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS , for one , to-day has a pretty nifty , memorable , theme song...But anyways .

Theme songs from old TV AHHHOOOOYY !!!!!!!!!

Lotsa luck !

Views: 601

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Luke Blanchard said:

ClarkKent_DC said:

I don't get the logic that, because people are too prone to change channels, you don't need theme music to attract people -- shows like this really need all the the help they can get.

If people are really that prone to change channels, why don't the networks lose their audiences every time they run an ad break?

I'm sure they do, to some degree. Part of the rationale for canceling some shows, or not canceling them, is just how many viewers are lost when one show ends and the next begins.

That also is the rationale for the practice of not putting commercial breaks between shows, letting one show begin the moment the next show ends -- save for a promo or two for other network programs crammed into the closing credits of the show just ending. 

ClarkKent_DC said:

Speaking of Gilligan's Island, its theme is a classic example of the theme that sets up the situation for the viewers and introduces the characters.

That is, most of them; the first season theme famously mentions only five of the seven castaways, dismissing Mary Ann and The Professor with ".. and the rest." Bob Denver went to the producers later and suggested the lyrics be changed to include them, going so far as to assert he might invoke a clause in his contract over his own billing -- possibly demanding his credit be moved to the end of the credits or removed entirely if Russell Johnson and Dawn Wells weren't added. So the following season's credits proudly names "...the Professor and Mary Ann."

I forgot to mention that Bob Denver did this without the knowledge of either Russell Johnson or Dawn Wells; they didn't learn about what he did until years after the fact. 

I never heard that story, and it's incredibly cool. Denver really is as nice as he appears, and a lot tougher as well.

ClarkKent_DC said:

I forgot to mention that Bob Denver did this without the knowledge of either Russell Johnson or Dawn Wells; they didn't learn about what he did until years after the fact. 

I find it interesting that the longer a show runs the shorter the theme song gets (usually not all of the time). I watched the first few episodes of Parks and Recreation (now in syndication) and realized how long the theme was then. (I had also completely forgot that Paul Schneider was on there.) Other shows like Cheers and The Office come to mind as theme songs that were shortened the longer they were on the air.

Yeah ... I've seen the Law & Order theme cut almost in half, and even The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air credits cut to almost a slide show with all the lyrics taken out! Bad enough that the full-length version of the Fresh Prince theme is rarely heard or seen. 

...Perhaps , once a show is established as a hit and has run for a while , the network wants to stick an ad or two more in them , for even more money ???????

I have read of such doins'...

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

I find it interesting that the longer a show runs the shorter the theme song gets (usually not all of the time). I watched the first few episodes of Parks and Recreation (now in syndication) and realized how long the theme was then. (I had also completely forgot that Paul Schneider was on there.) Other shows like Cheers and The Office come to mind as theme songs that were shortened the longer they were on the air.

Once more about Gilligan's Island ... I happened to run across this today. It's the credit sequence for the first pilot episode, which has some different clips in the footage, an entirely different theme song, and two different actresses who are not playing Ginger or Mary Ann: "Gilligan's Island Lost Pilot Episode Intro"

I don't think the Cheers theme was shortened until it went to syndication, tough I could be wrong about that.
The Prisoner did a masterful job of spelling out the premise in its intro. That the (instrumental) theme music was uber cool was just icing on the cake.
Green Acres and Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction too, had earworm-quality ditties that told you everything you needed to know.
At least a couple of shows that I can think of, Mr. Ed and the much-maligned My Mother The Car, withheld the full theme song until week two so as not to spoil the surprise of the show's premise.

Craig Boldman said:

I don't think the Cheers theme was shortened until it went to syndication, tough I could be wrong about that.

It definitely got shorter as the show went on. If you go back and watch the first season or two in reruns it is longer.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service