Two big changes in the DCU (spoilers for Action #900 and Brightest Day)

In Action #900, Superman stands with protesters in Iran.  The Iranian government feels that Superman is being directed by the American national security team.  So, to make sure everyone knows that his actions come from his code of morality only and are not forced on him by the US government, Superman renounces his American citizenship at the UN.  Now, this is interesting and can lead to many stories, but I have to ask...how, exactly, was Superman a citizen.  Did he vote?  Did he pay taxes?  Sure Clark does those things and I'm sure Clark isn't renouncing his citizenship.  So this seems to be more symbolic than anything else.  This is Superman saying that he's a citizen of the entire planet, not one country and I can get behind that.  With this and Batman, Inc...the world's finest and becoming truly the WORLD'S finest. 

The other big change is the erasing of the Vertigo-DCU line by bringing back both Swamp Thing and John Constantine into the world of Aquaman and Firestorm.  While some Vertigo series will continue to be stand-alone books, this is a big change in policy for DC.  And I welcome it. 

I don't want to see Gentleman Ghost in iZombie though...wait...maybe I kinda do.

Views: 346

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A "brace" of kids? I've never heard that term before.
And I think Goebbels had more than two.  Weren't there four or five doomed little Aryans in 'Downfall'?
They had six, and the Mrs had one from a previous marriage.
Doc Beechler said:

I think the only time I've ever seen brace used to describe a group was in Lord of the Rings, where Sam says "A brace of coneys" at some point. Since coneys are rabbits, I can understand a brace referring to a bunch of offspring.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! Comics and Games for Everyone!

I used to listen to WOXY.com; It was the future of rock-n-roll! RIP WOXY

Oh...and happy 73rd birthday, Superman!
It's a perfectly cromulent expression.

Doc Beechler said:

Hey, do you think all of those people who never read Superman comics in the first place and who swore off reading Superman comics when Superman renounced his United States citizenship in Action Comics #900 are reading Superman and Action Comics in DC's "New 52"?

Somebody should tell them it's safe again.

That became a non-issue so fast that I think that it may have been a factor behind the reboot!

"Hey, Conservatives Kids, we got ourselves a new SUPERMAN! A proud American who would never walk across the country when there are more important things to do or back away from the good ol'USA or marry a liberal!"

Well the Action Comics Superman seems pretty sore on the kind of capitalists for whom the Tea Party would have had to be iinvented, if it hadn't already existed...
We'll have to see how Superman is portrayed "now". The T-shirt/jeans look screams anti-establishment but the shiny armor? Could go either way! :-)
Philip Portelli said:
I think that it may have been a factor behind the reboot!

It almost seems that way, doesn't it?

Philip Portelli said:
Could go either way!

That it could!

Philip Portelli said:

That became a non-issue so fast that I think that it may have been a factor behind the reboot!

"Hey, Conservatives Kids, we got ourselves a new SUPERMAN! A proud American who would never walk across the country when there are more important things to do or back away from the good ol'USA or marry a liberal!"

...Actually , didn't that " Election 2008 " series a couple years back ( Which was supposed to have its does-a-Republican-or-a-Democrat-win the 2008 USA DCU elections cliffhanger be resolved - Granted , MAYBE avoiding LITERALLY using the " R " and " D " words . - be resolved . Was it ever ? ) quite clearly paint Lois Lane ( military - officer's - brat ) as a Republican ? Granted , avoiding the specific term , but she used language tradionally used by Rs to laud the ideals of the Party of Lincoln , it was quite clear that that was what Winick/DC intended , .

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service