I don't know how long I'd been reading about Ultra Boy before I realized his name was Jo Nah and he'd gotten his powers from being swallowed by a space whale. I caught on to that more quickly than I realized why Matter-Eater Lad was from the planet Bismoll.

But today, copy editing a manuscript that mentioned the barren winters...I realized there'd be a pun in the name of the lead character of Night Force all along. Baron Winters -- 34 years since his introduction! I think that's a new record for me!

Any pun names in comics (or elsewhere) that you didn't catch onto until later?

Views: 1213

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Modesty Blaise. Her origin story says her mentor gave her the name Modesty (in a joking spirit, referring to her lack of physical modesty), and she took her surname from Merlin's tutor. I recently realised her surname is really a pun on "blaze".

Wikipedia argues Batroc's name derives from "batrachian".

In his recent review of Jack Kirby's Black Panther, Bob recently mentioned that Abner Little was a play on Li'l Abner. that hadn't occurred to me until he pointed it out. 41 years. Beat that!

Well, since I didn't know that until you just told me ...

Jeff of Earth-J said:

In his recent review of Jack Kirby's Black Panther, Bob recently mentioned that Abner Little was a play on Li'l Abner. that hadn't occurred to me until he pointed it out. 41 years. Beat that!

Nice! Though I don't know Kirby's Panther run, so he's an unfamiliar character to me. 

Then there's "Giant-Size Man-Thing" ...

(ducks and runs)

During the---ugh!---New Blackhawk Era, when the team took on super-hero identities, Blackhawk assumed the code name of "the Big Eye".

The Big Eye = the Big Guy, i.e., the boss.

Oh, fer cryin' out loud -- that's another one I never got!

Commander Benson said:

During the---ugh!---New Blackhawk Era, when the team took on super-hero identities, Blackhawk assumed the code name of "the Big Eye".

The Big Eye = the Big Guy, i.e., the boss.

Rainbow Raider is Roy G. Bivolo. This is from the mnemonic roygbiv. I had no idea until the Legionnaires explained this to me on the Captain's old board.

Werewolf by Night is Jack Russell. I can't remember when I worked that one out.

"Federal Men" was an early Siegel and Shuster feature. In the instalment in New Adventure Comics #12 the hero asks a scientist about what the police methods of the future will be like. His answer forms an SF story.

The officer in the story is named Jor-L. What's interesting about this is it suggests the El name was chosen as a homophone for L and comes from the SF tradition that in the future people will have letter or letter-number names/surnames (like Ralph 124C 41+ in Hugo Gernsback's novel, or the characters in the film Just Imagine). Likewise the surname of the Silver Age character Dev-Em is a homophone for M. The GCD attributes all his Silver Age appearances to Siegel.

I never got the joke when I was originally reading Werewolf by Night since at that time I had never heard of the dog breed!

Luke Blanchard said:

Werewolf by Night is Jack Russell. I can't remember when I worked that one out.

Speaking of dogs, I just encountered one whose name is obviously a joke, but I can't figure out if it's a reference to anything (and what, in fact, the joke is, other than it's a bizarre name for a dog, or, well, anything). I just picked up an issue of Adventures of Bob Hope, and he's joined by a dog named Harvard Harvard III. The cover says he's being introduced in the issue (#87), so I don't know how long he sticks around.

What's up with that name? Is there a joke I'm missing?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Captain Comics posted discussions
12 minutes ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"Exactly."
28 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"THE MISSOURI BREAKS: This may not be the greatest western ever made, but where else are you going…"
29 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"Michael Rennie was illThe day the Earth stood stillBut he told us where we standAnd Flash Gordon…"
39 minutes ago
Richard Willis replied to John Dunbar's discussion Marvel and DC Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age collections
"Amazon says: Walt Disney's Uncle Scrooge "The Golden Nugget Boat": The Complete Carl…"
42 minutes ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"Re-watching The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951).  According to the commentary…"
46 minutes ago
The Baron replied to Captain Comics's discussion Conan license yanked from Marvel Comics
"I suppose that's a hazard of bringing a licensed property into your "universe"."
1 hour ago
Captain Comics replied to John Dunbar's discussion Marvel and DC Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age collections
"Fantagraphics lists Carl Barks Library Vol 27 for September!"
2 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Cavaliere (moderator emeritus)'s discussion What are you watching right now?
"I'm adding the Carlin doc to my tobewatched list."
3 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"DC: THE NEW FRONTIER: This 2004 Darwyn Cooke mini-series treats DC comic of the 1950s as if they…"
3 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I think: lower left corner is Archie Goodwin; bottom center is Denny O'Neil; by…"
3 hours ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Someone else has already posted the classic Strange Adventures' Deadman cover this one is…"
3 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service