So there I was, on the ol' internets, searching for some Iron Man info, when I came across something I had completely forgotten about: the limited series written by Jon Favreau, the director of the Iron man movies, namely, Iron Man: Viva Las Vegas. Little wonder that I had forgotten about it; according to Marvel's own website, the first issue came out in June 2008 and the second issue came out in August 2008 ... and that's it. Although it's billed as a four issue series, there's no mention on the Marvel site of issue 3 and 4.

So has IM:VLV dropped off the face of the earth? Unlikely, imo. Call me cynical, but I'll bet we will see issues 3 and 4, and either a hardcover or trade collection of the series by May 2010. That's the release date of the Iron Man 2 movie, and having the collection of the one comic story written by the movie's director timed to coincide with the movie itself would give Marvel the most bang for their buck, I would think. I could be wrong (it happens all the time), has anyone heard different?

I would be surprised if this series remains uncompleted. After all, we saw Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk and Spider-Man/Black Cat: The Evil That Men Do get completed, even if it took a few years. Then again, I think it's safe to say we won't see another issue of Sonic Disruptors (an 80's DC limited series billed to run for 12 issues but got canceled at issue #7) or Daredevil: The Target (issue #1 cover-dated January 2003, a second issue never materialized). I don't know if Ambush Bug: Year None will be like the former or the latter, or if this is some sort of bizarre joke on the part of Keith Giffen and company (as in, "we billed it as a six issue series, except - bwah ha ha - there's no issue six").

Can you name other series that as of now remain unfinished, or at least took an extraordinary amount of time to come out? I don't mean from small companies that went out of business - I'm sure there are lots of those - but from the major companies (and why the delay if you know). Here's my guesses:

Sonic Disruptors: Really low sales on the first few issues
Daredevil: The Target: Kevin Smith's attention diverted elsewhere
Spider-Man/Black Cat: TETMD: ditto
Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk ditto, except it was Damon Lindelof not Kevin Smith
Ambush Bug: Year None: Giffen is playing a joke on the universe

Views: 333

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ditto on Marvelman and The Twelve. I first encountered Marvelman back in Warrior #1 in 1982, and it has always been my favourite superhero strip. I was really miffed when the unfinished strip was pulled from Warrior, ostensibly due to legal squabbles with Marvel, but also because the creators of the strip couldn't work together.

I was delighted to be able to read the end of the Moore run many years later in the Eclipse title Miracleman, although the changing artists on the strip bugged me, and I absolutely detested the change of name from Marvelman to Miracleman. For those of us who were fans of the character from the start, "Miracleman" sounds just so wrong.

And then history repeated itself, and the comic stopped right in the middle of Gaiman's Silver Age sequence, leaving the story dangling in mid-air. I was so angry I was fit to be tied. Marvel have already done one thing that has made me a happy bunny - changed the name back to Marvelman. Now, if they can do one more thing with the character, I can die a happy man. Please, please, please, find some way to let Neil Gaiman and Mark Buckingham finish their Silver Age and Dark Age storyline. Anything after that is a bonus.

As for The Twelve, I was following it with interest, have every issue, the hardcover, blah, blah, blah. I hope Marvel can get JMS back to finish the story at some point. What I hope they don't do is draft some other second-rate writer in to complete the mini-series. I'd rather wait even a few years to have JMS back and see the story done properly.
Phil Friel said: I first encountered Marvelman back in Warrior #1 in 1982, and it has always been my favourite superhero strip.

First of all, Photobucket. We're glad you're here.

You know we got a whole thread up and running about this guy?

We even call him Marvelman about half the time... Come over and have your say...
Rich Lane said:
Did the third issue of Scorpio Rose ever come out?

According to a letter published in the latest CBG ... no.
Fudge.

Doctor Hmmm? said:
Rich Lane said:
Did the third issue of Scorpio Rose ever come out?

According to a letter published in the latest CBG ... no.
Yep, I know. It was the first thing I zeroed in on when I joined the group. :) I might even join in when I finish reading all seven pages of posts.

Thanks for the welcome, by the way. Glad to be here.

Figserello said:
Phil Friel said: I first encountered Marvelman back in Warrior #1 in 1982, and it has always been my favourite superhero strip.

First of all, Photobucket. We're glad you're here.

You know we got a whole thread up and running about this guy?

We even call him Marvelman about half the time... Come over and have your say...
NewUniversal is Warren Ellis' baby, and the deal is it will be published as he finishes up the miniseries. NewUniversal:Shokfrotn is on hold at the moment, but I remember seeign the pencisl fo rthe pages that re-introduce Kickers Inc - gruesome is one word...
Me too, I'm still patiently waiting for it to be finished.

The Baron said:
when the heck is The Twelve gonna be finished? That's what I wanna know!
And I guess now's a good time to ask if I missed the conclusion to The Infinite Horizon....
Rob Staeger said:
And I guess now's a good time to ask if I missed the conclusion to The Infinite Horizon....

If you did, then so did I.
I just thought of another one: Warren Ellis's Desolation Jones series for Wildstorm. The first six issues completed an arc, which was collected into a trade. He started on a second six-issue story, with a new artist, which never got past the second issue. Ellis claimed he was getting ahead on the script and the series would continue...but that was over two years ago.
Chris Fluit said:
Rob Staeger said:

If you did, then so did I.

#5 and #6 have not yet shipped.

"You've got the brain of a four-year-old boy, and I'll bet he was glad to get rid of it." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! It's a pretty lame website, but I did it myself, so tough noogies

Listen to WOXY.com, it's the future of rock-n-roll!

Spaceknights. Marvel's attempt to keep the right to 'spaceknights' without Mattel's ROM, to anchor it. It had potential, but after six issues, they shoved it into the landfill with the ET game.

Wild Cards (Dabel Bros.) Almost a good year & a half after #5 came out, we fans are STILL waiting for #6 & the HC compilation (with a purported additional written story by Melinda Snodgrass).

The end of comics will not come from the writers, the artists or even the owners of the properties. It will come from the apathy of the comics' once-legion fans, who, finally realising after DECADES of bad stories, skyrocketing prices and missed production dates, will cause a once great industry to collapse upon itself like a black hole.
And take all of us with it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

ClarkKent_DC replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"Since we failed to discuss Annie Live! when it aired, I dropped in a comment, here."
8 minutes ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"There's a whole sequence in the first Annie movie, that all other Annie movies copied, with an…"
10 minutes ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion "'Cause they taped it on only one day..." - NBC's The Sound of Music
"Somehow, we failed to talk about Annie Live! when it aired, although I did watch it and did enjoy…"
11 minutes ago
doc photo replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Harvey Kurtzman
"I agree that the Feldstein version of Mad is the classic version. I first read Kurtzman's Mad…"
25 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Cavaliere (moderator emeritus)'s discussion What are you watching right now?
"My recent reading, All In Color For a Dime (specifically the chapters which deal with E.C.…"
44 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Magnus Robot Fighter and his mother."
59 minutes ago
Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Aquaman and Mera become parents (to Princess Andy)."
2 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Cavaliere (moderator emeritus)'s discussion What are you watching right now?
"Also... W. Kamau Bell's We Have to Talk About Bill Cosby, which may be the go-to documentary…"
3 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"The original family that was lost in space: Mr. and Mrs. Robinson and their offspring, "Tim…"
3 hours ago
MethodEng replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
6 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"One of my favorite "Imaginary Stories." And I kinda like the all-blue costume better than…"
6 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"I think I mentioned this when Annie Live was going to be on TV, but what disappointed me about the…"
9 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service