Vulture.com does the history of comics -- and not just superheroes -- through a look at the pages. This is its assessment of key pages that influenced artists, writers, and the direction of the medium.

"The 100 Pages That Shaped Comics"

Views: 198

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

An impressive, and daunting, list. 

I still think it was a mistake to heal Barbara Gordon. She was a much better character as Oracle, IMO, than having her resume being just another Bat-acrobat character.

In the 90s I enjoyed the Batman family of heroes. I came to especially like Stephanie Brown, who was Spoiler when I followed her. It was an impressive storyline when it was revealed that she was pregnant, I think by date rape. I believe she gave the baby up for adoption. I wasn't reading the Bat-books when she was murdered, I'm happy to say.

I recently commented about Rita Farr (Elasti Girl) being the only original Doom Patrol member who stayed dead.

Since most superhero readers are still male, do we and the writers still think "girls have cooties?" 

I always thought that they could and should have healed Barbara Gordon, but she would choose to continue to be Oracle and not go back to being Batgirl.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Thanks for finding that site, CK -- I did a brief search and didn't see it. 

I keep it bookmarked. It's moved around a few times over the years.

I'd like that. Barbara seems like someone who could recognize that kicking someone in the face might not be the most effective use of her time or talents, if her goal is to fight crime.  

ClarkKent_DC said:

I always thought that they could and should have healed Barbara Gordon, but she would choose to continue to be Oracle and not go back to being Batgirl.

That's a good concept, but I think that having a major character in a wheelchair who isn't an aging mentor would serve the diversity goal. 

I'd like that. Barbara seems like someone who could recognize that kicking someone in the face might not be the most effective use of her time or talents, if her goal is to fight crime.  

ClarkKent_DC said:

I agree with hat, too -- in the larger, beyond-the-stories sense, Barbara needing to use a wheelchair (and being such an effective hero) is a welcome message of inclusion. In-story, there are plenty of good reasons why she should walk again, given her connections and DCU technology. Out-of-story, there are some really good reasons why she shouldn't.

Sure. I do think something important was lost when DC got rid of Oracle and brought back Batgirl. But to my mind, they made it work by retooling Barbara Gordon to a young twentysomething college student. 

The Barbara Gordon who was a member of Congress who got shot by The Joker and was a liaison to the Suicide Squad and led the first Birds of Prey series? I can't imagine she would go back to being Batgirl. That wouldn't have been plausible to me at all.

Richard Willis said:

That's a good concept, but I think that having a major character in a wheelchair who isn't an aging mentor would serve the diversity goal. 

ClarkKent_DC said:

"But to my mind, they made it work by retooling Barbara Gordon to a young twentysomething college student."

Sooner or later they'll get around to crippling her again.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"But to my mind, they made it work by retooling Barbara Gordon to a young twentysomething college student."

Sooner or later they'll get around to crippling her again.

I hope not. In this retooling, this Barbara did get shot by The Joker and recovered, eventually, but that all happened off-screen.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service