WARNER BROS. HOME ENTERTAINMENT ACCEPTS MPAA “R” RATING FOR BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE

All-New Animated DC Universe Original Movie to Authentically Reflect Best-Selling & Eisner Award-Winning Graphic Novel;

First Non-PG/PG-13 Rated Film in 9-Year History of Franchise

BURBANK, CA (April 15, 2016) – Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has accepted the MPAA’s “R” rating for its upcoming animated film, Batman: The Killing Joke, choosing to remain true to the landmark DC Comics graphic novel’s violent, controversial story, and making the film the first non-PG/PG-13 rated movie in the nine-year history of the DC Universe Original Movie franchise.

Batman: The Killing Joke, one of the best-selling graphic novels in history, tells the tale of The Joker’s origin story – from his humble beginnings as a struggling comic, to his fateful encounter with Batman that changes both of their lives forever. Actors Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill reprise their Batman: The Animated Series roles as Batman and The Joker, respectively.

Since its inception in 2007, the DC Universe Original Movie franchise has brought classic and current DC Comics stories and characters to animated life through a series of primarily PG-13 rated films. Throughout the 26-film history of this popular franchise, Warner Bros. Animation, DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment have crafted animated productions that appeal to the adult fan – from adaptations of fan favorite stories (Superman: Doomsday, Justice League: The New Frontier, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns) to liberal adaptations of contemporary tales (Justice League: Throne of Atlantis, Batman: Bad Blood, Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox) to original narratives (Batman: Gotham Knight, Wonder Woman, Justice League: Gods & Monsters).

Animation visionary Bruce Timm guided the DC Universe Original Movie franchise for its initial 16 films, then returned last summer with his own original story, Justice League: Gods & Monsters. Timm takes the reigns once again for Batman: The Killing Joke, reuniting a trio of actors (Conroy, Hamill & Tara Strong) from the game-changing Batman: The Animated Series cast to add even greater reverence to this heralded tale. Recognizing the fans’ dedication to the highly acclaimed graphic novel, Timm has worked meticulously to accurately maintain the intense adult content of The Killing Joke.

“From the start of production, we encouraged producer Bruce Timm and our team at Warner Bros. Animation to remain faithful to the original story – regardless of the eventual MPAA rating,” said Sam Register, President, Warner Bros. Animation & Warner Digital Series. “The Killing Joke is revered by the fans, particularly for its blunt, often-shocking adult themes and situations. We felt it was our responsibility to present our core audience – the comics-loving community – with an animated film that authentically represented the tale they know all too well.”

At this time, there are no plans for an edited, PG-13 version of the film.

A two-time Eisner Award winner written by renowned comics author Alan Moore, Batman: The Killing Joke has maintained an unparalleled popularity throughout its 28 years of existence – as evidenced by its ranking as the best-selling graphic novel of 2015. Batman: The Killing Joke was greenlit in 2013 and announced in July 2015 at Comic Con International in San Diego.

Batman: The Killing Joke also features the voices of Tara Strong (Teen Titans; Batman: Arkham games), as Barbara Gordon and Ray Wise (Twin Peaks, RoboCop) as Commissioner Gordon. Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will host the film’s World Premiere at Comic-Con International this summer, and see a subsequent release in 2016 on Blu-ray Combo Pack, DVD and Digital HD.

Views: 740

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can't remember if the Killing Joke was before or after Supergirl's death in Crisis.  If the Joker had killed Barbara I can't imagine that Kara wouldn't have gone after him.  I wouldn't count to much on Gotham PD, aside from a few bright spots they've never been portrayed as very effective.  Still there is no force as great as the marketing that keeps the Joker coming back.  

The thing about the killing joke is that he shot Barbara, not Batgirl, not realizing that they were the same person.  In one way the joke on the Joker was that he was fairly impotent against the costume set, but very effective against everyone else.  As Batgirl she seemed to be able to escape any trap or dodge any shot, but as plain Barbara she was vulnerable.  The costume was almost a good luck charm.  In the animated movie I thought the same thing when Mr. Freeze kidnapped Barbara and Dick tried to save her and failed.  They were both out of costume.

I did like Barbara as Oracle because to me Gail Simone took the concept and did well with it, it also showed a rare consequence to a physical injury.  I won't mind KJ being turned into an animated show, but I also like stories where I don't know the ending.  One of the reasons I liked the JL animated was because I didn't know all the stories that they based the episodes on.  I'd never heard of the Manhunters, so that added to the fun of the episode.

Kara Zor-El (the original) died in Crisis on Infinite Earths #6 in 1985. Batman: The Killing Joke was released three years later.

Richard Willis said:

I think The Killing Joke is a very good story, except for the end that has Batman and Joker laughing together.

Forgive me if you caught this, but as they're laughing together the Joker offers Batman his hand. The laughing then stops, indicating Batman hasn't taken it. So the end is they're still bitter enemies.

I think we're supposed to understand Batman let's-call-this-off speech as like the flashlight beam in the Joker's joke, and his refusal to take the Joker's hand as his turning it off before the Joker can get across. The image is repeated in the final three panels, where we see a beam of light from the police car headlights which is gone in the final panel.

I think that required parental guidance would be the solution to a lot of censorship issues,

This would include the old cartoons with the now-embarrassing attitudes towards race, etc.

Not that all parents are reliable guides, but if they abdicate their responsibility, they have no business complaining.

Richard Willis said:

I think The Killing Joke is a very good story, except for the end that has Batman and Joker laughing together.

Luke Blanchard said:

Forgive me if you caught this, but as they're laughing together the Joker offers Batman his hand. The laughing then stops, indicating Batman hasn't taken it. So the end is they're still bitter enemies.

I think we're supposed to understand Batman let's-call-this-off speech as like the flashlight beam in the Joker's joke, and his refusal to take the Joker's hand as his turning it off before the Joker can get across. The image is repeated in the final three panels, where we see a beam of light from the police car headlights which is gone in the final panel.

There's also the theory that The Joker stops laughing because Batman breaks his neck. Some people believe it, and some don't.

Looking for a bigger image I stumbled on an article here which has a link to what it says is the last page of the script. The script doesn't mention the Joker offering to shake Batman's hand and the laughing stopping as a result, so I could be wrong. But the art does depart from the script a little (e.g. there's no visible puddle in panel 5), and it might be something Bolland put in or a change he suggested to Moore. I think the offered hand is there in panel 6, but I must admit I don't know what the silhouette above the wrist is supposed to be.

(corrected)

KEVIN CONROY & MARK HAMILL REPRISE SEMINAL ROLES AS BATMAN & THE JOKER IN WARNER BROS. HOME ENTERTAINMENT’S BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE

HIGHLY-ANTICIPATED R-RATED ANIMATED THRILLER ARRIVES August 2, 2016 ON BLU-RAYTM DELUXE EDITION, BLU-Ray TM COMBO PACK, DVD & DIGITAL HD

BURBANK, CA (May 12, 2016) – Delve into the demented history of the Dark Knight’s arch nemesis – The Joker – as he sets out to prove insanity is only a horrifying moment away for anyone in the latest DC Universe Original Movie, Batman: The Killing Joke. Based on one of the best-selling graphic novels of all time, this R-rated, feature-length animated film brings together some of the key creative team behind Batman: The Animated Series with executive producer Bruce Timm at the helm and Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill returning to their seminal roles as Batman and The Joker, respectively. Produced by Warner Bros. Animation and DC Entertainment, Batman: The Killing Joke arrives August 2, 2016 from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment on Blu-Ray™ Deluxe Edition, Blu-Ray™ Combo Pack, DVD and Digital HD.

Batman: The Killing Joke will be available on Blu-rayTM Deluxe Edition for $29.96 SRP, Blu-rayTM Combo Pack for $24.98 SRP, and DVD for $19.98 SRP.  The Blu-rayTM Combo Pack includes a digital version of the movie on Digital HD with UltraViolet. The Blu-ray™ Deluxe Edition will include all components of the Blu-Ray™ Combo Pack, along with an exclusive figurine of The Joker in a numbered, limited edition gift set.

Fans can also own Batman: The Killing Joke on Digital HD on July 26, 2016 via purchase from digital retailers.

Based on the acclaimed graphic novel of the same name, Batman: The Killing Joke takes a journey into the dark psyche of the Clown Prince of Crime – from his humble beginnings as a struggling comedian to his fateful encounter with Batman that changes both of their lives forever. Years later, and now escaped from Arkham Asylum, The Joker devises a plan to prove that one bad day can make anyone as insane as he is – setting his sights on Commissioner Gordon. It’s up to the Dark Knight to put a stop to The Joker’s latest scheme and save one of Gotham City’s finest. Following a gripping prologue introducing Barbara Gordon’s heroic adventures alongside Batman as Batgirl, Batman: The Killing Joke stays true to the authentic tale that has held fans’ imaginations for nearly three decades – spotlighting the birth of a Super-Villain, the fortitude of a Super Hero and the punchline that will leave you speechless.

Published by DC Comics in 1988, the two-time Eisner Award winning Batman: The Killing Joke graphic novel has maintained an unparalleled popularity throughout its 28 years of existence – as evidenced by its recent ranking as the best-selling graphic novel of 2015.

Batman: The Killing Joke presents one of the most compelling stories in the annals of Batman’s adventures: the evolution of The Joker from normalcy to criminal insanity. This was a very challenging story to tell because of the intense, often disturbing storyline, but we are extremely pleased with how true to the graphic novel we have been in this original film.” said Mary Ellen Thomas, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Vice President, Family & Animation Marketing. “Warner Bros. Home Entertainment is proud to release Batman: The Killing Joke as an authentic representation of its revered story for both longtime fans and new fans alike.”

The celebrity-laden cast is led by Kevin Conroy (Batman: The Animated Series, Justice League) and Mark Hamill (Star Wars franchise) as they reprise their seminal roles as the voices of Batman/Bruce Wayne and The Joker, respectively. The cast also features Tara Strong (Teen Titans; Batman: Arkham games), as Barbara Gordon and Ray Wise (Twin Peaks, RoboCop) as Commissioner Gordon.

Batman: The Killing Joke is directed by Sam Liu (Justice League vs. Teen Titans) from a script by Eisner Award-winning writer Brian Azzarello. Bruce Timm and Sam Register are executive producers, and Alan Burnett is co-producer. Benjamin Melniker & Michael Uslan are executive producers.

Batman: The Killing Joke Enhanced Content

DVD

• An exclusive sneak peek at the next DC Universe Original Movie.

Blu-rayCombo Pack

• An exclusive sneak peek at the next DC Universe Original Movie..
  • Featurette – “Batman: The Killing Joke – Madness Set To Music” – Jim Gordon must bear witness to the most disturbing images any father could imagine while a maniac entices his break from sanity in song. This documentary looks at the step-by-process of one of the most crucial scenes in Batman: The Killing Joke, including the methodology James Tucker used as he storyboarded Brian Bolland’s stunning work for the screen; Dynamic Music Partners composers/lyricists’ creative merging of original music with the poetic words from the graphic novel to provoke the desired feelings and emotions for this critical scene; and actor Mark Hamill’s physical, devoted performance to capturing the world¹s most notorious Super-Villain in song.
  • Featurette – “Many Shades of Joker: The Tale of The Killing Joke” – Brian Bolland’s artwork is instantly recognizable to comic book enthusiasts all over the world. Known for his amazing cover art, it was a rare inclusion into the body of a graphic novel, Batman: The Killing Joke, that helped the perennial story of Batman and The Joker remain a fan favorite for decades to come.  Combined with the graphic novel’s original script – which is more than just the telling of a story, but an intricate map explaining every stop along the way to the end of a fantastic journey – this documentary reveals the artistic process behind The Killing Joke’s distinct style.  We’ll learn how artists and writers excelled at conveying story and human emotion one panel at a time, mesmerizing readers with unforgettable stories and humanized depictions of heroes and villains. And why after nearly 30 years in print, Batman: The Killing Joke is more thought provoking than ever, as its socio-economic themes are relatable to generation after generation.
    • From the DC Comics Vault – Two 22-minute episodes: 

1. The New Batman Adventures - “Old Wounds”

2. Batman: The Animated Series - “Christmas with The Joker”

Blu-rayDeluxe Edition

• Exclusive Limited Edition The Joker Figurine
  • An exclusive sneak peek at the next DC Universe Original Movie..
  • Featurette – “Batman: The Killing Joke – Madness Set To Music” – Jim Gordon must bear witness to the most disturbing images any father could imagine while a maniac entices his break from sanity in song. This documentary looks at the step-by-process of one of the most crucial scenes in Batman: The Killing Joke, including the methodology James Tucker used as he storyboarded Brian Bolland’s stunning work for the screen; Dynamic Music Partners composers/lyricists’ creative merging of original music with the poetic words from the graphic novel to provoke the desired feelings and emotions for this critical scene; and actor Mark Hamill’s physical, devoted performance to capturing the world¹s most notorious Super-Villain in song.
  • Featurette – “Many Shades of Joker: The Tale of The Killing Joke” – Brian Bolland’s artwork is instantly recognizable to comic book enthusiasts all over the world. Known for his amazing cover art, it was a rare inclusion into the body of a graphic novel, Batman: The Killing Joke, that helped the perennial story of Batman and The Joker remain a fan favorite for decades to come.  Combined with the graphic novel’s original script – which is more than just the telling of a story, but an intricate map explaining every stop along the way to the end of a fantastic journey – this documentary reveals the artistic process behind The Killing Joke’s distinct style.  We’ll learn how artists and writers excelled at conveying story and human emotion one panel at a time, mesmerizing readers with unforgettable stories and humanized depictions of heroes and villains. And why after nearly 30 years in print, Batman: The Killing Joke is more thought provoking than ever, as its socio-economic themes are relatable to generation after generation.
    • From the DC Comics Vault – Two 22-minute episodes: 

DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION ELEMENTS

Batman: The Killing Joke will be available to viewers for streaming and download to watch anywhere in high definition and standard definition on their favorite devices from select digital retailers including Amazon, CinemaNow, Flixster, iTunes, PlayStation, Vudu, Xbox and others. Starting July 23, 2016, Batman: The Killing Joke will also be available digitally on Video On Demand services from cable and satellite providers, and on select gaming consoles.

ABOUT DIGITAL HD

*Digital HD allows fans to watch a digital version of their movie or TV show anywhere, on their favorite devices. Digital HD is included with the purchase of specially marked Blu-ray discs. Digital HD allows consumers to instantly stream and download movies and TV shows to TVs, computers, tablets and smartphones through UltraViolet retail services like CinemaNow, Flixster, VUDU and more. For more information on compatible devices go to wb.com/ultravioletdevices. Consult an UltraViolet Retailer for details and requirements and for a list of HD-compatible devices.

I've pre-ordered the DVD, not the Blu-ray.

Can't afford it, but I'll see it eventually. I wonder though, thinking of all that the Joker does in the story and how I remember it ending, could the Killing Joke be considered a victory for the Joker?  He does seem to do everything he wants and all he gets is put back in Arkham, which is basically where he lives.

KEVIN CONROY & MARK HAMILL REPRISE THEIR SEMINAL ROLES AS  BATMAN & THE JOKER IN WARNER BROS.  HOME ENTERTAINMENT’S BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE

THE HIGHLY ANTICIPATED R-RATED ANIMATED THRILLER ARRIVES AUGUST 2, 2016 ON BLU-RAYTM DELUXE EDITION, BLU-RAY TM COMBO PACK, DVD & DIGITAL HD

BURBANK, CA (May 12, 2016) – Delve into the demented history of the Dark Knight’s arch nemesis – The Joker – as he sets out to prove insanity is only a horrifying moment away for anyone in the latest DC Universe Original Movie, Batman: The Killing Joke. Based on one of the best-selling graphic novels of all time, this R-rated, feature-length animated film brings together some of the key creative team behind Batman: The Animated Series with executive producer Bruce Timm  at the helm and Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill returning to their seminal roles as Batman and The Joker, respectively. Produced by Warner Bros. Animation and DC Entertainment, Batman: The Killing Joke arrives August 2, 2016 from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment on Blu-ray™ Deluxe Edition, Blu-ray™ Combo Pack, DVD and Digital HD. Order due date is June 28, 2016.

Batman: The Killing Joke will be available on Blu-rayTM Deluxe Edition for $39.99 SRP, Blu-rayTM Combo Pack for $24.98 SRP, and DVD for $19.98 SRP.  The Blu-rayTM Combo Pack includes the movie in high definition on Blu-ray Disc, a DVD, and a digital version of the movie on Digital HD with UltraViolet*. The Blu-ray™ Deluxe Edition will include all components of the Blu-ray™ Combo Pack, along with an exclusive figurine of The Joker in a numbered, limited edition gift set. Fans can also own Batman: The Killing Joke on Digital HD on July 26, 2016 via purchase from digital retailers.

Based on the acclaimed graphic novel of the same name, Batman: The Killing Joke takes a journey into the dark psyche of the Clown Prince of Crime – from his humble beginnings as a struggling comedian to his fateful encounter with Batman that changes both of their lives forever. Years later, and now escaped from Arkham Asylum, The Joker devises a plan to prove that one bad day can make anyone as insane as he is – setting his sights on Commissioner Gordon. It’s up to the Dark Knight to put a stop to The Joker’s latest scheme and save one of Gotham City’s finest. Following a gripping prologue introducing Barbara Gordon’s heroic adventures alongside Batman as Batgirl, Batman: The Killing Joke stays true to the authentic tale that has held fans’ imaginations for nearly three decades – spotlighting the birth of a Super-Villain, the fortitude of a Super Hero and the punchline that will leave you speechless.

Published by DC Comics in 1988, the two-time Eisner Award winning Batman: The Killing Joke graphic novel has maintained an unparalleled popularity throughout its 28 years of existence – as evidenced by its recent ranking as the best-selling graphic novel of 2015.

“Batman: The Killing Joke presents one of the most compelling stories in the annals of Batman’s adventures: the evolution of The Joker from normalcy to criminal insanity. This was a very challenging story to tell because of the intense, often disturbing storyline, but we are extremely pleased with how true to the graphic novel we have been in this original film.” said Mary Ellen Thomas, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Vice President, Family & Animation Marketing. “Warner Bros. Home Entertainment is proud to release Batman: The Killing Joke as an authentic representation of its revered story for both longtime fans and new fans alike.”
The celebrity-laden cast is led by Kevin Conroy (Batman: The Animated Series, Justice League) and Mark Hamill (Star Wars franchise) as they reprise their seminal roles as the voices of Batman/Bruce Wayne and The Joker, respectively. The cast also features Tara Strong (Teen Titans; Batman: Arkham games), as Barbara Gordon and Ray Wise (Twin Peaks, RoboCop) as Commissioner Gordon.

Batman: The Killing Joke is directed by Sam Liu (Justice League vs. Teen Titans) from a script by Eisner Award-winning writer Brian Azzarello. Bruce Timm and Sam Register are executive producers, and Alan Burnett is co-producer. Benjamin Melniker & Michael Uslan are executive producers.

Batman: The Killing Joke – Enhanced Content
DVD
•    An exclusive sneak peek at the next DC Universe Original Movie

Blu-ray™ Combo Pack
•    Featurette – “Batman: The Killing Joke – Madness Set To Music” – Jim Gordon must bear witness to the most disturbing images any father could imagine while a maniac entices his break from sanity in song. This documentary looks at the step-by-process of one of the most crucial scenes in Batman: The Killing Joke, including the methodology James Tucker used as he storyboarded Brian Bolland’s stunning work for the screen; Dynamic Music Partners composers/lyricists’ creative merging of original music with the poetic words from the graphic novel to provoke the desired feelings and emotions for this critical scene; and actor Mark Hamill’s physical, devoted performance to capturing the world¹s most notorious Super-Villain in song.
•    Featurette – “Many Shades of Joker: The Tale of The Killing Joke” – Brian Bolland’s artwork is instantly recognizable to comic book enthusiasts all over the world. Known for his amazing cover art, it was a rare inclusion into the body of a graphic novel, Batman: The Killing Joke, that helped the perennial story of Batman and The Joker remain a fan favorite for decades to come.  Combined with the graphic novel’s original script – which is more than just the telling of a story, but an intricate map explaining every stop along the way to the end of a fantastic journey – this documentary reveals the artistic process behind The Killing Joke’s distinct style.  We’ll learn how artists and writers excelled at conveying story and human emotion one panel at a time, mesmerizing readers with unforgettable stories and humanized depictions of heroes and villains. And why after nearly 30 years in print, Batman: The Killing Joke is more thought provoking than ever, as its socio-economic themes are relatable to generation after generation.
•    From the DC Comics Vault – Two 22-minute episodes:

Blu-ray™ Deluxe Edition
•    Exclusive Limited Edition The Joker Figurine
•    Featurette – “Batman: The Killing Joke – Madness Set To Music” – Jim Gordon must bear witness to the most disturbing images any father could imagine while a maniac entices his break from sanity in song. This documentary looks at the step-by-process of one of the most crucial scenes in Batman: The Killing Joke, including the methodology James Tucker used as he storyboarded Brian Bolland’s stunning work for the screen; Dynamic Music Partners composers/lyricists’ creative merging of original music with the poetic words from the graphic novel to provoke the desired feelings and emotions for this critical scene; and actor Mark Hamill’s physical, devoted performance to capturing the world¹s most notorious Super-Villain in song.
•    Featurette – “Many Shades of Joker: The Tale of The Killing Joke” – Brian Bolland’s artwork is instantly recognizable to comic book enthusiasts all over the world. Known for his amazing cover art, it was a rare inclusion into the body of a graphic novel, Batman: The Killing Joke, that helped the perennial story of Batman and The Joker remain a fan favorite for decades to come.  Combined with the graphic novel’s orignal script – which is more than just the telling of a story, but an intricate map explaining every stop along the way to the end of a fantastic journey – this documentary reveals the artistic process behind The Killing Joke’s distinct style.  We’ll learn how artists and writers excelled at conveying story and human emotion one panel at a time, mesmerizing readers with unforgettable stories and humanized depictions of heroes and villains. And why after nearly 30 years in print, Batman: The Killing Joke is more thought provoking than ever, as its socio-economic themes are relatable to generation after generation.
•    From the DC Comics Vault – Two 22-minute episodes:

DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION ELEMENTS
Batman: The Killing Joke will be available to viewers for streaming and download to watch anywhere in high definition and standard definition on their favorite devices from select digital retailers including Amazon, CinemaNow, Flixster, iTunes, PlayStation, Vudu, Xbox and others. Starting July 23, 2016, Batman: The Killing Joke will also be available digitally on Video On Demand services from cable and satellite providers, and on select gaming consoles.
ABOUT DIGITAL HD
*Digital HD allows fans to watch a digital version of their movie or TV show anywhere, on their favorite devices. Digital HD is included with the purchase of specially marked Blu-ray discs. Digital HD allows consumers to instantly stream and download movies and TV shows to TVs, computers, tablets and smartphones through UltraViolet retail services like CinemaNow, Flixster, VUDU and more. For more information on compatible devices go to wb.com/ultravioletdevices. Consult an UltraViolet Retailer for details and requirements and for a list of HD-compatible devices.

BASICS
Batman: The Killing Joke
Street Date: August 2, 2016
Order Due Date: June 28, 2016
Languages: English
Audio: Dolby Surround Stereo
Color / Closed Captioned
MPAA Rating:   R
Price: DVD $19.98 SRP / BD $24.98 SRP / BD Deluxe Edition $39.99
DVD: 1000565437 / 883929473441
BD: 1000565438  / 883929473458
BD Deluxe: 1000565440 / 883929473472

It's amazing to think that this animation all started with Batman the Animated series.

The article describes The Killing Joke as and “original movie… based on one of the best-selling graphic novels of all time.” I’m not saying anything against the movie (I haven’t seen it), but how is that “original”?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service