I was going through some old comics when I came across a reprint of the original Galactus story and I wondered -yet again- if some ideas shouldn't be left alone. The idea of knowing what the nullifier did, of learning the Beyonder survived Secret Wars,.. Isn't it better to just let some things be?

Views: 566

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree, All I had to know about the nullifier was that Galactus -who ate planets after all- was scared of it.

Randy Jackson said:

Is anyone happier now that we know Wolverine's origin?  Did it really make the character come alive to give the Phantom Stranger a definitive back story?  Do we really need to see Doom's face?

Bleah.

I think "happier" is too strong a word to apply to Wolverine's origin, but in that case, since a number of creators over the years had added "hints" to his back story that cumulatively just didn't fit together, since no one actually knew (or at least agreed on) what the real story was, eventually the resulting mess led someone to make the obvious, but unfortunate decision to declare large chunks of Logan's history "memory implants". This instantly changed Wolvie from the strong silent type whose background was nobody's business to a pathetic figure who did really know who he was or where he came from, which to me was a much different character. At least the Wolverine with an established origin is no longer a lost little boy. Still, if there hadn't been so many half-hearted attempts to fill in the mystery of his history, he would never have needed a real origin reveal to repair the damage.

I think, instead of trying to fix everything, if there's something you don't like, you should just ignore it. Then, when you're doing a recap, leave out the parts you don't like, and they'll eventually go the way of Superman's changing his face power or Sub-Mariner's electric eel power.

No doubt about it, somethings get out dated. As I recall Spiderman once explained his ability to cling to walls by way of suction power, later it was discovered by Electro that it was some sort of high powered static charge. I'm not sure what the current explanation is, but should that have to be explained at all? In the case of Electro it was part of the story, Electro realized that he could negate Spiderman's wall crawling ability by using his electrical powers.

Spider-Man once grounded himself for safety while fighting Electro when it should have been the opposite. Don't go back and spend six issues fixing it; ignore it!

I've always been taught that mistakes are something you either face or repeat.

PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod said:

Spider-Man once grounded himself for safety while fighting Electro when it should have been the opposite. Don't go back and spend six issues fixing it; ignore it!

That's what the letters pages are for. "Yeah, we goofed!"

Admitting they goofed often sticks in their craw. The tendency is or was (when continuity was respected) to say it wasn't a mistake at all (Robert Bruce Banner).

PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod said:

That's what the letters pages are for. "Yeah, we goofed!"

There have been way too many six-issue arcs (or reality-altering events) wasted explaining "goofs" that could have been covered sufficiently with a line or two of dialog.  On the other  hand, having a character specifically grounding himself to fight an electric villain is a prime example of when "Ignore it and it will go away" is really the only sane approach--otherwise, you're stuck with something like "Oh, Reverso the Contrarian decided to alter the laws of physics for five minutes last Tuesday!"

No, it didn't really move me one way or the other. Except, probably Phantom Stranger I though his new origin was kind of lame, but I wasn't going to be buying his new series anyways.

Randy Jackson said:

Is anyone happier now that we know Wolverine's origin?  Did it really make the character come alive to give the Phantom Stranger a definitive back story?  Do we really need to see Doom's face?

Bleah.

Randy Jackson said:

Is anyone happier now that we know Wolverine's origin? 

No. I'm not.

Randy Jackson said:

Did it really make the character come alive to give the Phantom Stranger a definitive back story? 

Like The Joker's, I prefer The Phantom Stranger's origin to be multiple choice.

Randy Jackson said:

Do we really need to see Doom's face?

THAT was a clear case where the writer -- I'm looking at you, John Byrne, in Fantastic Four #278 -- should have left well enough alone. Giving us a Victor Von Doom who had a scar on his face was one thing; giving us a Doctor Doom who was stupid enough to turn his whole head into a mass of second- and third-degree burns is something else.

Funny in the new character of the Joker's daughter the woman behind the mask has multiple stories by the writer's own design.  Suits her too.  I think it's better to wonder what could drive a young woman to idolize the Joker to much that she'd wear his dead face.  Seeing Harley's origin was different.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service