Another tokusatsu.  Blame Jeff Pl.

Episode 01: "Secret Messenger of the Morning Wind"

1)The opening and closing themes are OK, but not particularly distinctive.

2)Our hero is Gentaro Shizuka, a "laughing daredevil" type. A skilled fighter, he is capable of Ken Kurenai style "improbable leaps".  He's got a magic stick that seems to serve many of the same functions as Daredevil's billy-club. Also, he sings and plays other people's guitars. I suspect that I am going to have fun not liking him.

3)His sidekick is Goro Kishima, sent by Professor Tsushima to help Ken Gentaro. He is vaguely Gilliganesque.  In times of trouble, he uses IRON SHOCK! to transform into...

4)Iron King, a giant Ultraman knock-off. Gentaro recognizes IK and says "But I wonder when Professor Tsushima completed Iron King...", which implies that IK (and also Goro?) is an artificial being.  IK has an analogue to Ultraman's "color-timer" - a flashing light that indicates when his water level is low. This is important because "Iron King loses his ability to fight when he loses his bodily water." This gives him a limited time to fight, and also mean that Goro is thirsty all the time, a clue which any five year old could pick up on, but which will no doubt come as a huge shock to Gentaro when he discovers it around Episode 25. So far, IK's special moves include IRON KICK!

5)Whilst wandering in the forest, they encounter Yukiko Takamura, who is vaguely reminiscent of Miss Land O' Lakes.  I'm guessing that she's either a potential love interest for Gentaro, or a shady character.

6)The chief enemies are the Shrianui Clan, who have bene plotting to conquer Japan for 2,000 years, which seems like an awful long time to have not apparently achieved all that much.  There seems to be about ten of them, and they don't fight alot better then the Gargoyles or Mecha-Robos did. How they expect to conquer Japan is beyond me. They do have giant robots, which they appear to be conveniently sending out one at a time. They're not very distinctive-looking.  The one is this episode is Vacu-mirah the Vacuum Robot,  whose power is that it both sucks and blows, to steal a line from Bart Simpson. It is controlled by a Mecha-Robo Shiranui posing as Evil Grandma. It battles IK inconclusively, and is blown up when Gentaro hits it with its own control badge, which seems a bit of a design flaw.

7)Fun quote: "Impudently, the National Security forces have discovered us." Yeah, how dare the National Security forces discover a threat to national security!

8)Next Time: Gyro-gesu the Slicing Robot!

9)Ending scene: Gentaro laughs like the hopeless fool that he is!

Overall: So far, so good. This shows promise to be mildly amusing.

Views: 1124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We watched it last night but I hardly remember any of it. We saw Star Trek Into Darkness and I was so tired while it was on. I did like Silver Rider. Finally, a robot that can deliver some fighting action worth watching!

Here’s another one I’m not sure what the title refers to.

"Featuring the Tank Robot, Silver Rider" - which looks a bit like a Scyther on wheels.

Looked a bit like the “Trojan rabbit” from Monty Python & the Holy Grail to me.

Mouse tanks? Seriously?

Cute as the dickens, though.

This was sort of the tokusatsu version of Romeo & Juliet. Two factions couldn’t maintain a feud for 2000 years in reality, though, could they? On second thought, forget I asked.

Tracy thought the pointy swirl on the robot’s head resembled a pompadour.

We have a Japanese bobtail (cat) who we like to pretend enjoys these shows, but she she slept through this one.

Super Feline Indifference Spiral Wave Blast!

Episode 09: "Gentaro in a Close Shave"

1)"Featuring the Hand-Sanitizer Missile Robot Gold Fire", which has an extremely silly headpiece!

2)IK fights a long time without his water running out here..

3)The Mouse Tank is just too goofy.

4)Cliffhanger: Iron King falls down a hole and Gentaro is pinned to the ground!

Overall: OK, I guess. It feels a bit like they're padding out the end of this storyline.

"Gold Fire" was amazingly hysterical with the head dress and pants flare. I think it looked more like "Phoenix Fire."

IK fought longer because he was knocked into the river and drank right before battle.

Mouse Tanks Rule! I like them way-better than cybermats.

Goro says "I've never seen you with girls." So what was Yukiko? Also, if you want the ladies to show you interest, you don't arrive arms draped around each other, holding hands over your shoulder, faces inches apart, sharing secrets. I'm just saying...

To be frank, I'm not sure that Goro and Gentaro are really all that interested in girls.

Well, they *do* have their mission.

"Featuring the Hand-Sanitizer Missile Robot Gold Fire", which has an extremely silly headpiece!

It looked like a giant flaming chicken to me.

The Mouse Tank is just too goofy.

But adorable! The Shiranui clan just can’t be all bad with robots as cute as that!

Cliffhanger: Iron King falls down a hole and Gentaro is pinned to the ground!

I think this is the first cliffhanger this series has had.

To be frank, I'm not sure that Goro and Gentaro are really all that interested in girls.

I would not be at all surprised.

This episode firmly established that Gentaro doesn’t know Goro’s secret. (Dumbass.)

I miss Yukiko.

The Shiranui clan must really hate Gentaro as they plan to give him an extra four feet and bury him “ten feet under.”

At last Gentaro gets what he deserves as that one girl clocks him a good one (actually punches him in the face). I honestly thought he was going to hit her back there for a moment.

I haven't caught up yet, but I am far enough along to adopt Double Satan as my new avatar.

Between Gentaro and Goro, I don't know who I want to slap the hardest.

Maybe knock their heads together?

Before Bob reviews Episode 10, I just want to say "Wait, wait, wait. What!?"

Huh?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service