Note: The disks I have are in Japanese, without dubbing or subtitles.  I only know about twenty or so words of Japanese, although many of those are words that are likely to occur in tokusatsu.  The challenge I am setting myself is to see whether I can follow what's going on in these without knowing what's being said.

We start with what my disk set calls  an "Intro Movie", although it's only about 25 minutes long.

Our Hero, who seems to be called "Yamashiro", is having a nap, and has a bad dream about being stuck in  room.  He hears a cry for help ("Tasukete!") and rescues his sister (Well, she calls him " oneechan", so I'm assuming she's his sister) and a kid (Nephew?  Kid Brother?)  from a gang of thugs dressed like Grey Bird-People  (GBP).  He switches to Spider-Man and fights them, but they literally vanish.  

He is observed by Internal Dialogue Mustache Man  (IDMM). Yamashiro gets a disturbing phone call, and then we see Spidey doing a lot of climbing. (Seriously, there are tons of climbing shots in this. Plus, the camera has a tendency to linger lovingly on Spidey's butt.)  He breaks into a room, and IDMM is there. I believe IDMM is a cop - at least, he says "Interpol" alot. IDMM shows him footage of kids and young women at a pool.  (I think  IDMM knows Spidey's ID.)   He also shows him footage of Fish-Headed Guy (FHG) firing torpedoes at a ship. I assume that IDMM has successfully recruited Spidey, as we see them shake hands.  Spidey battles some  GBPs, but it's a distraction as IDMM is kidnapped! Mystey Woman With Hat (MWWH) observes.  Spidey finds a note stuck to a wall, which I assume is a ransom or a threat.

We next meet One-Eyed Cyborg Man (OECM) , who carries what looks like a floor lamp without a shade.  He says "Spider-Man" alot in a threatening voice, so I assume he's a heel.  His aide is In Her Underwear Woman (IHUW), who may be the same person as MWWH, I'm not sure. Anyway, IHUW goes to the GBP boat, where she slaps the captive IDMM around.  We see Spidey swimming to the boat.  

Meanwhile FHG joins IHUW. I love FHG. How IDMM doesn't laugh in his face, I don't know.  Spidey's flying car approaches the boat, and something parachutes out of it. The GBP shoot the parachutist down,. but it's a dummy. Meanwhile, the  real Spidey boards the boat surreptitiously, and battles the GBP. who are as useless as these guys are in all tokusatsu.
Spidey quickly sets off an alarm - perhaps this version doesn't have "Spider-Sense"?   Spidey beats up alot of GBP, and he and IDMM take off in a speedboat.  IHUW sends a chopper after them.  On land, Spidey draws the chopper away from IDMM, and fortunately for him, the chopper guys are the worst shots in history. Spidey jumps onto the chopper and deals with its crew. He then summons his giant robot, because reasons.  Seeing this, FHG grows to giant size,  The giant robot (which is not Spider-Man themed at all) easily disposes of FHG with its power sword.    Afterwards, Spidey and IDMM have a nice chat as they amble down the boardwalk.

Overall:   Interesting stuff. the Spider-Man costume is the familiar one - the only difference I notice is that Spidey has a rather bulky two-way wrist TV.  It's fun seeing Spider-Man plopped down into the typical tokusatsu formula.

Views: 743

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, there were three more episodes on the last disk - 17 was a duplicate of the origin story, and 18 was a duplicate of the Rocket Wolf episode.  19 seemed to be about a would-be yakuza running a nightclub where they had rabbit races and insect fights. Alas, the disk glitched up halfway through the episode so I didn't get to see the end.  Shame, it looked interesting.

So, my viewing of this series comes to a somewhat more abrupt ending than I had anticipated.  I enjoyed it immensely. If they ever came out with a proper subtitled release, I'd definitely give it a look.

“19 seemed to be about a would-be yakuza running a nightclub where they had rabbit races and insect fights.”

Insect fights notwithstanding, in addition to the rabbits they also raced baby chicks. “What’s next?” I thought. “Kittens?”

“Alas, the disk glitched up halfway through the episode so I didn't get to see the end.”

Sorry about that. Mine glitched at the same point, but played through it.

“So, my viewing of this series comes to a somewhat more abrupt ending than I had anticipated.”

Disappointing, that.

“I enjoyed it immensely. If they ever came out with a proper subtitled release, I'd definitely give it a look.”

Me, too: all episodes, in order, with options for English dubbing or subtitles.

Hi! Just came across this post. I've been searching for the better part of two years now for a version of the Toei Spider-Man with no subtitles. Do you know of any sources where I could get my hands on some of that footage? I've been working on a project incorporating the Japanese and Turkish Spider-Man movies and I feel like I've found a break in my search!

I don't know. I kind of lucked across the episodes I had. I gather it's been released on DVD in Japan, I don't know if there's any plans to release it over here.  I've seen places that had bootleg copies of old shows like that. If you have any specialty shops in your area, you might want to give them a try, if you haven't already. 

Conner said:

Hi! Just came across this post. I've been searching for the better part of two years now for a version of the Toei Spider-Man with no subtitles. Do you know of any sources where I could get my hands on some of that footage? I've been working on a project incorporating the Japanese and Turkish Spider-Man movies and I feel like I've found a break in my search!

"Do you know of any sources where I could get my hands on some of that footage?"

Try contacting….

videofutures@comcast.net

mediamadness17@comcast.net

…or call (443) 915-0005, between noon and 11:00PM ET, seven days a week.

Their catalogue is (or was, four years ago) 14 pages of offerings in small print… lots of obscure things to choose from. The Toei Spider-Man was a four DVD set for $16.95.

I glad you bumped this up to the top; there were several other DVDs I wanted to order at the time and never got around to it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service