Music? What song? By whom?

Podcasts? Which ones? Who's on it?

The whir of your hard drive while you defrag?

Whatever you're listening to, share it with the Legion of Superfluous Heroes!

Views: 6386

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Does the pandemic have you longing for FAR AWAY PLACES?

Far away places with strange sounding names

Far away over the sea

Those far away places with the strange sounding names are

Calling, Calling me

Goin' to China or maybe Siam

I wanna see for myself

Those far away places I've been reading about

in a Book that I took from the shelf

I start getting' restless whenever I hear the whistle of a train

I pray for the day I can get underway

And look for those castles in Spain

They call me a dreamer

Well maybe I am

But I know that I'm burning to see

Those Far away places with the strange sounding names

Calling, calling me

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Hey, Travis... I've been meaning to ask you: How's that "Beach Party"? It seems to me 300 beach-themed song would be perfect for a virtual trip to the beach during lockdown.

They aren't all beach-themed. A lot of them I guess you would call them softer, more appropriate to the beach. No heavy metal, techno, rap (well some pop rap). They really run the gamut though. Everything from classical music to early 90s, and all points in between. There aren't many collections that have Vivaldi, Petula Clark, Starship and Tone Loc all together.

..." Chop Suey ", by Juanita Hall and chorus, from the original cast album of the Rogers & Hammerstein musical FLOWER DRUM SONG from 1959. Actually, another OCA song, " I Am Going To Like It Here ", not sure of the vocalist, itself now followed by a song from the OCA of a modern-times production of another R&H musical, " Shall We Dance " from " The King And I ", again not sure vocalists and I'm not going to distract myself by looking it up now but if you want...on Pandora. " Some Enchanted Evening " from the OCA of the same 2000s production of "South Pacific " that I recall writing about seeing a PBS televising of long ago here. I'll stop with the play-by-play now. No, followed by Alfred Drake " Oklahoma " from the OCA of the original production, which I have read is. along with the Bing Crosby album that features " White Xmas ", the album-length audio release that has been in print continuously for the longest time of any album (a phrase that originated in the 78 era, remember). Now back to that FDS OCA, " A Hundred Million Miracles ".

...Any " beach music " you can shag to and be generally young, foolish, and happy on it?????????

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Hey, Travis... I've been meaning to ask you: How's that "Beach Party"? It seems to me 300 beach-themed song would be perfect for a virtual trip to the beach during lockdown.

They aren't all beach-themed. A lot of them I guess you would call them softer, more appropriate to the beach. No heavy metal, techno, rap (well some pop rap). They really run the gamut though. Everything from classical music to early 90s, and all points in between. There aren't many collections that have Vivaldi, Petula Clark, Starship and Tone Loc all together.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Many of these songs fit the COVID-19 situation eerily well. Today's selection...

I'LL BE SEEING YOU

I'll be seeing you in all the old familiar places
That this heart of mine embraces all day through
In that small cafe, the park across the way
The children's carousel, the chestnut trees, the wishing well

I'll be seeing you in every lovely summer's day
In everything that's light and gay
I'll always think of you that way
I'll find you in the morning' sun
And when the night is new
I'll be looking at the moon
But I'll be seeing you

...Does who's?? version of " I'll Be Seeing You " include the vrrdr to the song? Many of.the " pop standards " of that pre-1950 were written an originally performed with verses, which came to be generally dropped over the years.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I had this on my calendar to post today because I thought today was the release date. When I went to my LRS (Local Record Shop) last week to buy a James Taylor album on CD to get me in the mood, I saw that America Standard was already on sale, so I must have been mistaken. I still haven't listened to it much until today anyway because I've been listening to "The Diary of River Song" series seven.

....I saw nut didn't fully read a story about this album. I picked up and looked at the vinyl version at Target ( The shorter standard or longer deluxe version?) - the songs are on it, or " titles ", are all mega-well known examples of " the Great American Songbook " (ahemph) -sans on, a film song written but barely heard in a 3ps Warner Bros. feature but heard by they young JT from.its recycling in a Looney Toon.

...Is that WWII songs comp album an America or Britain-originating issue? The woman looks sort of British. I'm not familiar enough with military uniforms.
Can someone bump up. please, that , 300 beach songs " post so that I may see what it is? I dove a few pages back, maybe page 155 but couldn't find it with the lengthy song lyric posts taking much space.

"Songs That Got Us Through WWII" is a Rhino Records release and should be available through their web-site (if it's still in print) or Amazon or eBay (if it's not).

There is no previous post about the "Beach Party" collection to bump up. Travis and I live near each other and we happened to be together when he bought it. I know he reads this thread so I asked him about it here. It's just an eclectic mix on several CDs, but I don't have a track listing.

Do you feel as if the lockdown has given you the right to sing the blues? You’re not alone. DOZENS of versions of this song have been posted to YouTube. (I haven’t even gotten to REAL blues music yet.) This version in by Peggy Lee.

I'VE GOT A RIGHT TO SING THE BLUES

I've got a right to sing the blues 

Got the right to moan and sigh

I've got a right to sit and cry

Down along the river

A certain girl in this old town

Keeps dragging my heart around

All I see for me is misery

I've got the right to sing the blues

Got the right to moan and cry

I've got a right to sit and cry

Down along the river

Call it love say what you choose

I've got a right, got a right 

Got a right to sing the blues

Got the right to moan and sigh

Got a right to sit and cry

Down along the river

Soon that deep blue sea

Is gonna be calling me

Call it love, say what you choose

The blues, the blues, the blues

ALONE TOGETHER

Alone together, beyond the crowd

Above the world, we're not too proud

To cling together, we're strong

As long as we're together

Alone together, the blinding rain

The starless night, were not in vain

For we're together and what is there

To fear together

Our love is as deep as the sea

Our love is as great as a love can be

And we can weather, the great unknown

If we're alone together

As long as your close to me

Our love is as deep as a love can be

Our love is as great as a love can be

(Alone together)

Our love is as deep as a love can be

(Alone together)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service