Criminal Minds: "Amplification"

Views: 5465

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1. ...A first-season ALL IN THE FAMILY is on Get TV. Archie (who is 48) recalled how his father was smacked down by the Depression. Stretch Cunningham was referenced, and Archie, worried about lay-offs at his company, shows concern for a black co-worker. A male cop and a female next-door neighbor appear. Were they recurrents? Mike orders pizza delivered - at 3:30 AM in a lower-middle class neighborhood in Queens? The pizza boxes seem rather small by to-day's measurements at a glance - and though I wrote " boxes " above the episode climaxes with Archie and Mike opening the boxes and beginning to chase down the pizzas - which maybe had just four pieces each, practically personal pizzas to-day!:-)
  2.   I was going to say that Gloria's haircut looked more like a Southerner than a New Yorker - this impression is made stronger in the following episode where Gloria is fully clothed ( She and Michael are splitting one set of PJs - I looked to see if Michael was barefoot but no shot I saw showed) - really. she looks like a country singer! 
...I meant " chow down the pizzas " above. However, that I-guess phone correction works well in its randomness. However, I thought you might think I was saying that Mike and Arch were obsequiously consuming liquids too!

"A male cop and a female next-door neighbor appear. Were they recurrents?"

Not the cop, but Frank and Irene Lorenzo were featured neighbors fotr a couple of seasons. Irene lasted longer than Frank for whatever reason, and they weren't officially "written out" as the Jeffersons were (of course, the Jeffersons had a spin-off); they just stopped appearing, no reason given.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: We finished season two on Wednesday and moved on to Justice League Unlimited last night. It's more than simply a title change. JLU has a new theme song and a new focus: all the heroes of the DCU, not just the "Big Seven." The first series was mostly two-part episodes, but the new series is mostly single-parters.

Vincent Gardenia played Frank Lorenzo, and turned up in a couple of other parts on the series, including a swinger. I think Frank only appeared in one season, though Irene occasionally referenced him, in her continuing role as one of Edith's friends. As already noted, they just disappear from the show at some point. 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"A male cop and a female next-door neighbor appear. Were they recurrents?"

Not the cop, but Frank and Irene Lorenzo were featured neighbors fotr a couple of seasons. Irene lasted longer than Frank for whatever reason, and they weren't officially "written out" as the Jeffersons were (of course, the Jeffersons had a spin-off); they just stopped appearing, no reason given.

...Thank you, Jeff and JD.

...I thought I put something up last night covering more concerning AITF after the two second-season episodes I saw on another network last night!!!!! Wha' hoppen?:-(

I'm watching Babylon Berlin Season 3. Let me quote myself from next week's column:

Babylon Berlin Season 3 (Netflix): If you haven’t watched the first two seasons of this high-quality German production, you are missing out. Set in the anything-goes Berlin of 1929, it combines eye-popping period detail, a who’s who of German talent and lots of murder, cross-dressing, drugs, orgies and Nazis. Seriously, how can you not watch this?

...I lost a draft, just now :-(.

In 1 of the 4 AITF eps, we hear three words in dialogue now seldom heard-archaic:

Archie adorably garbled " hermaphrodite ", with no use of the proper pronounciation.

Gloria says " Chicano ".

Mike announces that he's " uptight ". Three tiimes! All rigbt, outta sigbt!:-)

The characters actually eating food when gathered around the dinner table is an obvious motif, seen twice more. I guess the show was recorded live so there would have been no retakes!

Was it a are spelled out what Archie's job was and what Michael was studying and wbere? Grad school and something academic-social services? Columbia? NYU? I think CUNY is for New Yorkers only and it's implicit that Michael is not from NYC?

...Lost an expanded post draft above:-(, here's more.

One episode flashes back to Archie and Mike's first meeting. Gloria plans to marry Mike, but it isn't stated that he does and that he has proposed, which pretty conventional in male-female relations Mike would presumably go for. Mike and Gloria met and fell in love on a long trip away from home by Gloria, didn't they? In an eighth?-season ep I saw another time, Mike and Gloria are written out by renewing their vows before moving to California and Archie and Edith renew too. A Chinese Christian minister who clearly was reappearing did it.

...One of the 4 episodes show Mike and Gloria arguing in their room. Was this shown much?

Archie works on the loading docks. His job plays an important role in some episodes. He eventually gets promoted to dispatcher. He also drove his friend Munson's private cab on the side in order to make extra money.

Mike was studying sociology/anthropology. He later becomes a professor out in California, and gets fired at some point for taking part in a protest. By this point, I think, we're in the rather mediocre spin-off, Archie Bunker's Place. I never saw any of the later, short-lived spin-offs that involved Gloria and Joey.

I think the Chinese-American minister first appeared in an episode where Archie takes his grandson to be baptized, against his son-in-law's wishes. Archie hasn't attended his church for some time, and is surprised to find the new minister. He then makes several inappropriate remarks based on the man's background.

This leads to an exchange along the lines of:

Archie: Can we have a talk, Christian to Christian?

Minister: I can.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service