Criminal Minds: "Amplification"

Views: 5466

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...Thank you! The past thing about the baptism was mentioned, I think. What Protestant denomination is the minister?

I saw two eps, Antenna TV?, of the 60s JOEY BISHOP SHOW, which I only discovered recently! Then two BURNS & ALLENs, which I was introduced to in 70s rereruns. That?station had, later this morning, two back-to-back hours of comics-based golden sitcoms...DENNIS THE MENACE and HAZEL.

WESTWORLD: We started watching season three last night. It’s a little hard to get back into it (but I’m sure I’ll be up to speed soon). Not quite certain about this new character… some kind of mercenary (?) who becomes involved with Delores at the end of the first episode…?

ULTRAMAN GEED: We’re about four episodes in. I hope to return to the “Ultraman” discussion soon, but I’ve been extremely busy lately.

JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED: Our second time through these. I like the idea of virtually every DC superhero being included, but the Justice League two-parters were (objectively) better.

Most of the time, I recall Archie and Edith as being generically Protestant (there was even at least one episode that addressed Catholic/Protestant distinctions-- imagine that flying as an episode of average TV today). I believe, officially, the Bunkers were Episcopalians.

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...Thank you! The past thing about the baptism was mentioned, I think. What Protestant denomination is the minister?

...Thank you! I believe AITF's British model show made a larger issue of the difference between Anglican/C of E Alf Garnett and his Catholic son-in-law.

• We're watching Babylon Berlin Season 3. It's so good, I dream I'm in it.
  • We're starting Westworld Season 3 this weekend.
  • I didn't watch all of Justice League Unlimited, because I only thought it was pretty good. I loved Justice League for its intense focus on the Big 7.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

WESTWORLD: We started watching season three last night. It’s a little hard to get back into it (but I’m sure I’ll be up to speed soon). Not quite certain about this new character… some kind of mercenary (?) who becomes involved with Delores at the end of the first episode…?

ULTRAMAN GEED: We’re about four episodes in. I hope to return to the “Ultraman” discussion soon, but I’ve been extremely busy lately.

JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED: Our second time through these. I like the idea of virtually every DC superhero being included, but the Justice League two-parters were (objectively) better.

"Dispatches from Elsewhere"
Weird, but in a good way. A very good way. I'm only two episodes in, but completely hooked and surprisingly connected to these characters.
I love a show that's confident in just being its own weird self. That's kind of glorious, even if it turns out to be a glorious failure.

I've watched several reruns of Laugh-In to cheer me up and jog childhood memories. Thus far, they've been selected from the first two seasons. It has been fascinating to note:

-the number of elements present in the original one-shot special, including the Party

-the development of "Here Comes the Judge" as a meme, based on an old song. In the second season, the singer who made it famous, Pigmeat Markham, is added to the cast.

-the fact that they slipped in drug jokes from day one

-how the most shocking humor now is Dick Martin's vaguely rapey pick-up jokes, which would have been part of Rowan and Martin's "conventional old-school comics grounding the 60s mayhem" aspect back then.

-the appearance of the switchboard in Season Two, well ahead of Lily Tomlin joining the cast

-the number of times Barbara Feldon shows up.

-Tiny Tim's first TV appearance, and how much they riffed on him even when he wasn't on the show

-the weird range of guest-stars and cameos, including (from the first season), John Wayne

-the clear indications of widespread popularity generated by Season One-- the Season Two opener features a cavalcade of famous cameos, including Richard Nixon.

-their willingness to overtly call out very specific audiences / individuals / geographical locations for racism... while occasionally making problematic racial jokes.

-the ludicrous degree to which they played up Goldie Hawn's "dumb blonde" character

-the groundbreaking use of editing

-the fact that some of the jokes hold up

-the fact that even a remarkably silly show could reference noted intellectuals and Biblical lines with the assumption that most of their audience would understand

Look that up in your Funk & Wagnalls !

WILL & GRACE: We moved from season two to season three. this is one of Tracy's shows, but that's all right; she's suffered through enough of mine.

I just finished watching the last episode of Angie Tribeca. It was originally on TBS and all 40 episodes are available on Hulu. It is extremely quirky in a Naked Gun style. Has some terrific actors who are capable of drama and comedy. 

Richard Willis said:

I just finished watching the last episode of Angie Tribeca. It was originally on TBS and all 40 episodes are available on Hulu. It is extremely quirky in a Naked Gun style. Has some terrific actors who are capable of drama and comedy. 

I watched Angie Tribeca a couple of times but didn't take to it. It was very much in the Naked Gun vein, but somehow, for me, it didn't pop.

PICARD: We’re four episodes in. I didn’t know a Star Trek television show could be this good. Up until now, none of them have (and that goes double for Discovery).

JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED: Finished season one yesterday; will move on to season two tonight. I appreciate the way it built from single-episode “done-in-ones” to a multi-part conclusion.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service