Criminal Minds: "Amplification"

Views: 3145

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Speaking of Shatner, he voiced Harvey Dent/Two-Face in the recent Batman vs Two-Face movie. It was interesting that the animation had Dent looking like a young Shatner.

I'm watching the newest season of Rosanne. I have little to say other than that I love that Darlene's daughter is Debbie Gallagher from Shameless.

Superboy: Season One

On the One Hand:  It's exactly what you would expect from a 1980s direct-to-syndication low-budget half-hour superhero action adventure show by the Salkinds.

On the Other Hand:  Stacy Haiduk 

Interesting. Never seen the show. Hearing about it does remind me of this quote:

"...Superboythe crummiest show ever in first run syndication".   

- Tom Servo, Mystery Science Theater 3000, Show 312: "Gamera vs. Guiron", first broadcast  September 7, 1991

Doctor Hmmm? said:

Superboy: Season One

On the One Hand:  It's exactly what you would expect from a 1980s direct-to-syndication low-budget half-hour superhero action adventure show by the Salkinds.

On the Other Hand:  Stacy Haiduk 

Worse than even I remembered.  But still ... Stacy Haiduk.

Also, Sherman Howard joined the cast in the 2nd season and was a wildly campy and enjoyable Lex Luthor.

Good campy fun. I didn't watch it when it was one the air, but bought all three seasons on DVD a couple of years ago.

And, as you say, Stacy Haiduk.

I met the season one Superboy in Metropolis, IL back in the '90s. He auditioned for The New Adventures of Superman, but the part went to dean Cain.

I also strolled Metropolis' Superman museum alone with Alex Ross, a guest. I didn't bug him, but it was a surreal experience.

"No Place to Hide", the unaired pilot episode of Lost in Space.

CHIMPS ... IN ... SPAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCEEEEEEEE!!!!!

I'm watching Goliath on Amazon Prime.

Man, I love it. I have just finished the first season, and I'm now watching the second. Great performances by the actors involved. Billy Bob Thornton does a great job of playing the good guy after his awesome performance as the embodiment of evil in Fargo.

Has anyone else seen this?

I just saw the Space: 1999 pilot episode, "Breakaway." I found it painfully boring.

"Painfully boring" can be applied to the entire series. As desperate as I was in the mid-Seventies for new TV science fiction, I found the show almost un-watchable.

ClarkKent_DC said:

I just saw the Space: 1999 pilot episode, "Breakaway." I found it painfully boring.

I remember watching a couple of episodes before giving up. As a fan of the Mission Impossible TV show (not so much the movies) I was attracted not only by its being a rare science fiction show but also by the starring roles of Martin Landau and Barbara Bain. The scripts and the cut-rate effects turned me off quickly.

ClarkKent_DC said:

I just watched the first regular episode of Columbo, "Murder by the Book." 

The setup: Jack Cassidy and Martin Milner are Ken Franklin and Jim Ferris, co-authors of a series of mystery novels starring "Mrs. Melville." Ferris, who's the actual writer and talent, wants to break up the partnership and go solo, writing serious works. Franklin, who's the public face of the team, fears the financial hit from the end of the series. So he lures Ferris up to his cabin in the mountains, cajoles him into calling his wife and saying he's at the office -- and shoots him dead while he's on the phone.

Of course, Ferris' wife calls the police and calls Franklin, and he makes a show of having driven back to Los Angeles from the cabin -- the first thing that makes Lt. Columbo suspicious. If he was frantic to console Mrs. Ferris, why didn't he fly back?

Since this is the first one, Columbo's "just one more thing, sir," bit wasn't schtick; he came across as seriously trying to figure out the murder but seemed -- seemed -- like he was a bit in over his head. And Franklin was more than willing to help him along. He fed Columbo a tall tale about Ferris's new book being an expose of organized crime, so his killing must have been a hit ordered by one of the mobsters he was doing research on. 

Unfortunately for Franklin, on that initial drive up to the cabin with Ferris, he made a stop at a general store, and the store owner is aware that Ferris was at the cabin despite all the news reports saying he was in his office when he died. With that knowledge, she tries to extort money from Franklin. Which is stupid; if you know the guy has already committed one murder, what makes you think you'll be safe from him? She found out the hard way she wasn't; Franklin clobbers her upside the head with a wine bottle and dumps her body into a lake.

This episode is noteworthy not just because it's the first Columbo, but also because it was directed by Steven Spielberg. And it's fitting that Jack Cassidy was the killer in the first one, because he established the mold of the typical Columbo killer -- a rich, arrogant, elite upper crust bastard, and Jack Cassidy played it to the hilt. Cassidy would return to the show two more times in that vein.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service