Criminal Minds: "Amplification"

Views: 3145

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The first season of Space: 1999.  As scientifically goofy and and just plain ol' bugnuts crazy as this show was, one thing it absolutely did well was establish an atmosphere.  This wasn't your standard issue space opera romp.  You can't watch this show and not feel as though space is inexplicably weird and beyond all human understanding.  (Certainly, the scripts were.)  These people were living in a nightmare.

I'll miss Barry Morse when I get to Season 2.  He's the best thing about Season 1.

It hasn't been just too long since I watched both seasons. I got though one fairly quickly but two was a slog. I determined I liked one far more than two. Maya was a good addition, but not at the expense of Barry Morse. Tony wasn't a good trade for Paul, either. The new, more colorful uniforms was a step in the right direction, but I can't decide which was a bigger let-down in comparison to the first season: the theme song or the new control room. 

I haven't seen most of One or any of Two since they first aired {cough cough} years ago (back-to-back with The Muppet Show on whatever station I watched it on). 

The primary charm of the show, for me, is just how very different it feels from other, more conventional shows of the same type.  If you strip many episodes down to the most basic plot level, it's easy to imagine the same story being done as an episode of Star Trek or Buck Rogers.  But it would have felt completely different.

I'm interested in seeing how Season Two holds up.  I'm guessing the switch to more straight-up action adventure in Two will rob the show of a lot of what makes it interesting.

Considering how much I like Landau and Bain in Mission: Impossible, it's startling just how wooden they are here.

You guys have really summed up "1999" for me. Was there ever a show with so much talent involved on so many lecels, where every single aspect of the show sucked SO BAD? Especially, the concept, the plots, the writing, the directing, and the acting??? I mean, there are some fabulous actors on this show who do their worst-ever work. And the same goes for some of the writers.

Ever since I read that the show evolved from the proposed-but-rejected 2nd season of UFO, I've wished they had managed to go that way instead. Picture the Moonbase of Season 1, stories set in the year 1999, and a SHADO organization finally able to really KICK alien butt, and maybe even take the war back to their home planet and put a stop to it once and for all.  (That's how I'd do it, anyway.)

I mean... this thing makes BATTLESTAR GALACTICA seem like Shakespeare by comparison!  (And BG had better characters and actors.)

Catching up on Leverage:

"The Radio Job":  Not one, but two, Doctor Who jokes!  Haven't caught them in one of those for a while.

"The Last Dam Job": "That is so wrong on so many levels."

Doctor Hmmm? said:

Catching up on Leverage:

"The Radio Job":  Not one, but two, Doctor Who jokes!  Haven't caught them in one of those for a while.

And here they are. Gotta love YouTube.

THE UNTOUCHABLES  (1990's)

I just posted the following at the IMDB... I figured I'd share it here as well.

The list here has 42 episodes. That tallies with my own information. I taped the entire series when it was first-run, and there were 42 episodes, ending with the 2-parter where Al Capone got convicted for income tax evasion.

That last episaode was like a "Twilight of the Gods" thing-- unlike the Robert Stack or (shudder) Kevin Costner versions, in this one, after so many episodes, they went ALL-OUT to have one collosal epic violent "blast". Even so, the final scenes seemed a big let-down to me, it somehow didn't "feel" like it was "the end".

Now I look at the IMDB, and they have 44 episodes listed-- 2 of them AFTER the "last" one. WTF??? There's no information for most of the episodes of this show listed here at the IMDB, and these last 2 don't even have air dates. Again-- WTF???

Is somebody B***S***ing here, or were there 2 "final" episodes-- which NEVER got run??? It's a sad thing when Hollywood keeps screwing up the ENDINGS of too many shows. Half the time, it seems, you don't even know when a show's finale airs. Instead of going out on a high note, they somehow just fade away...

My own personal disappointment with the way the 42nd episode ended was, NO mention of Ness' wife. I mean-- is that it? After intending it to be just a separation, out of nowhere she sends him divorce papers, and you never hear about her again. He just left it like that? Didn't he even TRY to change her mind? What kind of a hero is that? (I wouldn't have ended this series like that.)

Then again, if there are 2 "final" episodes I've NEVER SEEN... I wonder what's in them?

Season 2 of Space: 1999.

Oh my.  There are some passable ideas and passable episodes in this season, but overall this is even worse than I remembered it. 

"Seed of Destruction" may actually be the worst thing I've ever seen on TV.  Scenes out of order.  Cross-references to scenes that don't exist and/or dialogue that never happened.  Honestly, there are scenes where actors fluff lines and you can actually see in their eyes that they're thinking "Oh, screw it.  Just keep the cameras rolling so I can get the hell out of here."

Today:

THE AVENGERS:  "Traitor In Zebra"  

This has several actors who later appeared in DOCTOR WHO--
Noel Coleman -- "General Smythe" in "THE WAR GAMES"
Richard Leech -- "Gatherer Hade" in "THE SUN MAKERS"
William Gaunt -- "Orcini" in "REVELATION OF THE DALEKS"
Honor Blackman -- "Professor Lasky" in "TERROR OF THE VERVOIDS"

Leech plays a real murderous bastard in this one.  It's also got Katy Wild, who played the mute girl in "THE EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN".

THE AVENGERS: "A Surfeit of H20"

This has Geoffrey Palmer, who much later starred in "AS TIME GOES BY".

FLESH GORDON  (1974)

This has some cool stop-motion animatin by Jim Danforth, and a cameo by John Hoyt, who was in the STAR TREK pilot, "The Cage" (he played the Doctor).

This has Geoffrey Palmer, who much later starred in "AS TIME GOES BY".

Who was also in Doctor Who, specifically:  "Doctor Who and the Silurians" and  "The Mutants" with Jon Pertwee, and "Voyage of the Damned" with David Tennant.

Continuing my shoveling through the pile of accumulated DVDs trip down memory lane, I've moved on to Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.

Holy Carp!  I feel like I'm mainlining the 1970's!

First up is the theatrical version of the pilot ("Awakening" (Episodes 1 & 2)) which, if I've got my story straight, was released to theaters before the TV debut.  Not only does this have a Bond-esqe title sequence that has to be seen to be believed, but a theme song that proves, beyond a doubt, that as a lyricist, Glen Larson made an excellent executive producer.

You can tell that Larson was shooting for a slightly more adult audience not just by the title sequence, but by the fact that Buck calls Wilma ballsy, Twiki grouses about freezing his ball bearings off, Buck defeats Tiger-man by saying "sorry I have to do this" and then kicking him in the crotch and ... are beginning to see a pattern, here?

As for Episodes 3 & 4 ... OK, let's start with the title.  "Planet of the Slave Girls."  Not only is that awesome outstanding, but it's also a complete and utter lie (which makes it doubly so).  And the cast!  Jack Palance and Roddy McDowall AND and a more-than-cameo role for Buster Crabbe with some inspired wink-wink dialogue.  Heck, I'll even throw David Groh in while I'm at it.  If you think you've seen Palance chew the scenery before, you ain't seen nothin' 'til you've seen this.  I bet even he saw the dailies and said "you know, maybe that went a little too far."

And they just keep coming in future episodes.  Cesar Romero.  Frank Gorshin.  Peter Graves.  Jamie Lee Curtis.  Even Markie Post (looking like she couldn't buy near beer).  At the moment, I'm watching Ray Walston face off against Gary Coleman.  (No, you did not hallucinate that last sentence.  "What you talkin' 'bout, Uncle Martin?")

And yet ... I have to say that I miss the days when TV shows had really catchy, hummable theme music.  Yes, I know that that's the same song I was ragging on above.  But this version is blissfully lyric-free and scored up-tempo for horns and strings.  It just plain makes me smile.  (Unfortunately, I could only find the Season 2 version, so you're missing out on that other staple of the '70's, William Conrad narration. {Sigh})

I loved Buck Rogers! I fondly remember Frank Gorshin and his team of super-villains and they were super-villains! Gary Coleman, not so fondly but hey NBC put out Buck and Diff'rent Strokes.

I even miss Twiki! And Erin Gray as Wilma Deering was one of the hottest women on TV....ever!

Buster Crabbe played Colonel Gordon! Wonderful!

And the second season was deeper, whackier and even had Sarek show up!

I read where the producers took a lot of Buck's anguish from being seperated by 500 years from those he loved. They didn't want the drama apparently!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service