Criminal Minds: "Amplification"

Views: 11326

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

My blu-ray drive died around the beginning of this year, and yesterday I finally replaced it. Which was quite fortuitous as my internet has been up and down all day. I took some of that time to crack open my Homicide: Life on the Streets DVDs and watch them. I'm starting from the beginning, and I've haven't seen these in years. Some the episodes in later seasons, I haven't seen since they aired. Plus, I've never seen the last few episodes of the series, so I'm pretty stoked.

Homicide: Life on the Street was a definite favorite of mine back in the day, as was its source material, the true-crime Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets. (Note the TV show has a slightly more optimistic title, one of the changes necessary for TV.) I've read the book several times, and recently came across an audiobook version narrated by Reed Diamond, who joined the cast in the later seasons as Detective Mike Kellerman. Many of the tales in that book found their way into various episodes of the show during its first and second season.

Back when it was on, I was working at a semi-major metropolitan daily newspaper, and I had a running friendly rivalry with the TV critic over Homicide and NYPD Blue, which debuted later in the year. I thought Homicide was a fresh, original take on the traditional cop show, and he thought it was good, but not great. He thought NYPD Blue was wonderful, and I thought, after Hill Street Blues from the same producer, it was old wine in a new bottle. The very fact of being set in New York, to my mind, automatically made it stale.

But to TV critics, Steven Bochco could do no wrong, so Homicide toiled in the shadow of NYPD Blue and got little attention and hardly any love at the Emmys. It did win Emmys for Outstanding Directing and Outstanding Writing in its first season, deservedly, and Andre Braugher won for Outstanding Lead Actor in its sixth season. 

The third season includes a stunning episode, titled "Every Mother's Son," that was so harrowing, my wife couldn't stand to watch the show any more. I know that's a perverse recommendation, but really, it's that good. 

(The other day, I came across the Law & Order half of the first crossover with Homicide. Unfortunately, Homicide isn't rerun anywhere. Used to be, they would at least show both halves of such crossovers in the rerun package.)

 

ClarkKent_DC said:

Homicide: Life on the Street was a definite favorite of mine back in the day

I started watching it fairly early, and loved it. I only added watching Law & Order after enjoying one of the crossovers.

He thought NYPD Blue was wonderful, and I thought, after Hill Street Blues from the same producer, it was old wine in a new bottle.

Loved Hill Street Blues, too. Still have never watched NYPD Blue.

But to TV critics, Steven Bochco could do no wrong

At least until Cop Rock.

(The other day, I came across the Law & Order half of the first crossover with Homicide. Unfortunately, Homicide isn't rerun anywhere. Used to be, they would at least show both halves of such crossovers in the rerun package.)

I’m always annoyed when reruns on TV don’t show an entire crossover. They never seem to.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Homicide: Life on the Street was a definite favorite of mine back in the day.

Richard Willis said:

I started watching it fairly early, and loved it. I only added watching Law & Order after enjoying one of the crossovers.

Here's the first one, for your enjoying pleasure (it's the Homicide pre-credit teaser from "Law & Disorder," Season 3, Episode 15):

Nice! And John Waters as the perp.

I love Frank Pembleton's strong defense of his adopted hometown. And John Waters as the perp.

(Pendleton's from New York.)

Richard Willis said:

Loved Hill Street Blues, too. Still have never watched NYPD Blue.

For a while, it was on the H&I (Heroes & Icons) oldies channel. Admittedly, I'm biased, but I don't think NYPD Blue has aged very well. I even think Adam-12 holds up better.

Richard Willis said:

But to TV critics, Steven Bochco could do no wrong

At least until Cop Rock.

I have a soft spot for Cop Rock, which I will go to my dying day believing it was unfairly maligned as the worst show on television. It wasn't even the worst musical TV show to debut that year. That would be Hull High. Don't remember it? Lucky you. That's how bad it was; nobody even talks about it.

Here's a taste:

I'm not exactly sure when I quit watching Homicide initially. I believe season 2 and then I came back around 4 or 5. I became such a huge fan though, I got my friends to watch it with me, so we would hold off going out on Friday nights, until after we watched Homicide. 

I definitelty remember Reed Diamond and Detective Kellerman. It was the season finale when he is being questioned about the death of Luther Mahoney (I think?). Anyway, we were getting to climax of the episode, at the same time big weather was moving into Dallas. We just ended up watching the weather man, and I never saw the finish. It was the first and last time I wrote a television station. I was begging them to find a way to replay that episode. 

I did finish watching the episode where Pembleton and Bayliss question the Arraber. While I was watching it I was thinking, "What TV show would spend a whole episode on the interrogation of one suspect?" I love that episode.(I just looked at your linked post, you mentioned this episode there: "Three Men and Adena")

When Hill Street Blues was on, I still had a bed time, so I was bit too young to watch it. I knew when that show started it was time for me to go to bed. My parents watched it.

I liked the first season of NYPD Blue, but I never cared much for it after David Caruso left.



ClarkKent_DC said:

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

My blu-ray drive died around the beginning of this year, and yesterday I finally replaced it. Which was quite fortuitous as my internet has been up and down all day. I took some of that time to crack open my Homicide: Life on the Streets DVDs and watch them. I'm starting from the beginning, and I've haven't seen these in years. Some the episodes in later seasons, I haven't seen since they aired. Plus, I've never seen the last few episodes of the series, so I'm pretty stoked.

Homicide: Life on the Street was a definite favorite of mine back in the day, as was its source material, the true-crime Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets. (Note the TV show has a slightly more optimistic title, one of the changes necessary for TV.) I've read the book several times, and recently came across an audiobook version narrated by Reed Diamond, who joined the cast in the later seasons as Detective Mike Kellerman. Many of the tales in that book found their way into various episodes of the show during its first and second season.

Back when it was on, I was working at a semi-major metropolitan daily newspaper, and I had a running friendly rivalry with the TV critic over Homicide and NYPD Blue, which debuted later in the year. I thought Homicide was a fresh, original take on the traditional cop show, and he thought it was good, but not great. He thought NYPD Blue was wonderful, and I thought, after Hill Street Blues from the same producer, it was old wine in a new bottle. The very fact of being set in New York, to my mind, automatically made it stale.

But to TV critics, Steven Bochco could do no wrong, so Homicide toiled in the shadow of NYPD Blue and got little attention and hardly any love at the Emmys. It did win Emmys for Outstanding Directing and Outstanding Writing in its first season, deservedly, and Andre Braugher won for Outstanding Lead Actor in its sixth season. 

The third season includes a stunning episode, titled "Every Mother's Son," that was so harrowing, my wife couldn't stand to watch the show any more. I know that's a perverse recommendation, but really, it's that good. 

(The other day, I came across the Law & Order half of the first crossover with Homicide. Unfortunately, Homicide isn't rerun anywhere. Used to be, they would at least show both halves of such crossovers in the rerun package.)

 

BONANZA: The most recent episode i watched featured Emperor Norton

You never know what you find on TV when you're up past midnight. Right now, I'm watching The SpongeBob Musical: Live on Stage! Sing-Along -- on Nickelodeon, natch.

A few years ago I started a re-watch of Star Trek in production order. Mid-way through season two I stopped for one reason or another and just recently picked up where I left off. I am actually looking forward to watching season three as I have seen those episodes far fewer times than the earlier ones.

BONANZA: I'm still working my way through season seven, but season two episodes I did not previously record keep trickling in. I've lost track of how many Star Trek actors have appeared on Bonanza. (I like to think of them as ancestors/descendants.) the episode I watched today had both "Veena" (from "The Cage") and "Finnegan" (from "Shore Leave"). I wasn't too surprised to see Ricardo Montalban in one of the second season episodes, but I was very much surprised to see Madlyn Rhue ("Lt. McGivers") in the same episode cast as his wife!

ClarkKent_DC said:

And they address the elephant in the room: the bad blood between star Will Smith and Janet Hubert, the first Aunt Viv, who left under a cloud at the end of the third season and was replaced by Daphne Maxwell-Reid. In the years since, Hubert has said any number of foul things about Smith and those she perceived to be his enablers, and Smith and Hubert have a one-on-one conversation to bury the hatchet. Neither admits to any specific acts or statements, but Smith humbly (?) accepts Hubert’s assertions that he wielded his power as the star of the show in ways that hurt her, professionally and personally. It’s a deep conversation that made me wonder how much more of it landed on the cutting room floor, what with 27 years of bile needing to be cleared away. Cleared away it is, however; this is very much a happy reunion, and one I heartily recommend. Find The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air Reunion on HBO Max.

I got HBO Max, since I can finally watch it on Roku on my actual TV. The first thing I watched was The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air Reunion. It was as close to perfect as anything ever is.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Sandman (TV)
"They called iit 24/7"
59 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion The Eighth Doctor: Stranded
""After crashing in 2020 London, the TARDIS crew has found the future of the universe altered…"
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion "Pick of the Week" - What's Yours?
"Hands down:"
1 hour ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"I think Montoya's been commissioner since the beginning of Infinite Frontier, more than a year…"
2 hours ago
The Baron replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"Batgirls #9: I initially picked up this series on a whim, but I'm still enjoying it more…"
2 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Charlie Brown being a good big brother!"
3 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
4 hours ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion "The Flash" movie star Ezra Miller busted for burglary
"And when you get down to it, Oliver Queen was basically Bruce Wayne. "
4 hours ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"I should also mention there's a new book on Buster Keaton by critic Dana Stevens, who uses his…"
4 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"ISSUE #122: This issue reintroduces Professor Clark Johnson. He is the political science teacher at…"
5 hours ago
The Baron replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"Dowager in Three Stoobes Short:  "Ah, you must be those three environmental extremoists I…"
6 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"ISSUE #121: Lots of new characters introduced this issue. A trio of "monkeywrenchers"…"
6 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service