Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 48188

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"TRUE BELIEVERS" HULK: I enjoyed the reprint of #324 so much last week that I bought $1 reprints of #347 & #377 yesterday. You can't go wrong for a buck!

Just learned about Ryuko  a couple of days ago and like what I've seen so far of the artwork.

Didn't notice any muddled artwork, but am curious to read and experience the story.

Looking to buy Volume 1 when its price drops and have pre-ordered volume 2 for $10.5.

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Finished up the first volume of Ryuko, a manga published under the Hard Case Crime  Ryuko is part of the yakuza. We get some kind of heist with scantily clad women, which normally I love, but unless it was on a beach it was hard for me to believe the one girl would be part of the robbery in a bikini. There are some flashbacks to explain some of the characters' motivation. It isn't really going anywhere, until we learn her mother might still be alive. Eh, whatever.

It is in black and white, and in that case you have to be careful with the inks. Which the writer/artist Eldo Yoshimizu was not. So, a lot of the action is muddied by the heavy inks. The next volume is supposed to come out in October, but that is a hard pass for me. 

In response to Jeff of J: We had this debate a few years ago, as I recall. I remember someone being seriously offended that someone called individual issues “floppies” (it wasn’t you, Jeff, but I do wonder where it strikes on your meter). Their interpretation was that they were floppy, and therefore insignificant.

That’s now how I would interpret it at all. I don’t always call them floppies, but I’m sure I sometimes do. But if I thought they were insignificant, I wouldn’t ever buy them. I call them floppies in the way a floppy disk is floppy. It flops when you move it up and down. Yes, a trade paperback does too, but not nearly as much as an individual issue.

Plus, floppy bacon. Delicious! And it flops!

I'm not trying to pick the scab off that old argument, but in case I ever do call them floppies, please don't be offended--it's not where I'm coming from.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I have long since run out of room for my originals (which I call “periodicals,” BTW, never “floppies”)...

“We had this debate a few years ago…”

I remember.

“I do wonder where it strikes on your meter”

I don’t use the term myself, but I don’t mind that others do.

“Their interpretation was that they were floppy, and therefore insignificant.”

Yeah, I don’t remember who said that, either.

“I call them floppies in the way a floppy disk is floppy.”

That’s part of the reason I don’t use it for comic books: because I associate it with floppy discs. (Plus I just don’t like the term “floppy.”)

“Plus, floppy bacon.”

I have never heard the term “floppy bacon” before. when I was in Scotland last year I discovered a new term for the kind of bacon Americans eat. The Scots’ bacon is what we in the States call Canadian bacon; the Scots call the American variety “stripey bacon.”

“…please don't be offended”

Oh, please. You don’t think I’m that thin-skinned, do you?

For what it's worth, I just call them comic books and prefer my bacon crispy. 

Anyway... has anyone read the first part of the new Millennium mini yet?

Trying to avoid spoilers, the time traveler is who was originally mentioned it being. Personally, still not my first choice, but she does do it the hard way (one day at a time) and it obviously takes a toll on an already troubled psyche.

How she will fit into the Legion at the end of part two (is she supposed to be a member or just a resident of the 32nd century?) remains to be seen.

The most interesting thing (to me) was the presentation order of the time line.

Provided Bendis presented everything chronologically, we go from the present to Supergirl being a matronly President (of either the US or the world) to Batman Beyond, followed by Kamandi (which references a specific Jack Kirby produced issue!) before ending with Tommy Tomorrow.

Based upon the text features afterward, Part 2 is supposed to include OMAC, Booster Gold and the Space Museum before the journey ends with the Legion.

Now while the placement of some of these wayward futures is debatable, I always thought OMAC should be before Kamandi.

The last page of the text section recommends reading (in order) Superman 14, Supergirl 33, and Superman 15 before Millennium 1, but the two part special appears to stand on its own for those interested.

Thoughts?

For what it's worth, I just call them comic books and prefer my bacon crispy. 

Trying to avoid spoilers, the time traveler is who was originally mentioned it being. Personally, still not my first choice, but she does do it the hard way (one day at a time) and it obviously takes a toll on an already troubled psyche.

How she will fit into the Legion at the end of part two (is she supposed to be a member or just a resident of the 32nd century?) remains to be seen.

The most interesting thing (to me) was the presentation order of the time line.

Provided Bendis presented everything chronologically, we go from the present to Supergirl being a matronly President (of either the US or the world) to Batman Beyond, followed by Kamandi (which references a specific Jack Kirby produced issue!) before ending with Tommy Tomorrow.

Based upon the text features afterward, Part 2 is supposed to include OMAC, Booster Gold and the Space Museum before the journey ends with the Legion.

Now while the placement of some of these wayward futures is debatable, I always thought OMAC should be before Kamandi.

The last page of the text section recommends reading (in order) Superman 14, Supergirl 33, and Superman 15 before Millennium 1, but the two part special stands on its own for those interested.

Thoughts?

I’ve been busy this week. Here’s where I try to catch up a little.

FLASH FORWARD: Comics has already given us “Tempest Fugit” and the “Tempus Fugitive”; here now is the “Tempus Fuginaut.” Linda Park makes a surprise appearance at Wally West’s prison. Tarkul of Edya 12 tries and fails to claim Metron’s abandoned Moebius Chair. Heroes in Crisis is recapped. The Blackgate prsoners seek revenge. The Tempus Fuginaut contacts the (suicidal) Wally west and awakens the possibility of multi-universal travel. The cliffhanger is Wallay arrive in the universe of Grant Morrison (badly beaten) President Superman. So far, so good.

SECOND COMING #3: My favorite of the AHOY! Comics titles.

HULK: THE END (2002): Just for the helluvit I re-read this one-shot by Peter David and Dale Keown to see how well it jibes with the current Immortal Hulk. (Not bad as it turns out.)

I haven’t even finished reading last week’s books, and I bought more today.

I read Flash Forward, Sunday while I was working at my LCS. I read it out of morbid curiosity, since it was spun out of Heroes in Crisis, which was one of the worst series I've read in years. I didn't like this either, honestly. I thought Tempus Fuginaut was the least interesting thing when he appeared in Sideways. The whole Wally in Blackgate thing, the less said the better.

I did enjoy Metron's chair interlude though.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

FLASH FORWARD: Comics has already given us “Tempest Fugit” and the “Tempus Fugitive”; here now is the “Tempus Fuginaut.” Linda Park makes a surprise appearance at Wally West’s prison. Tarkul of Edya 12 tries and fails to claim Metron’s abandoned Moebius Chair. Heroes in Crisis is recapped. The Blackgate prsoners seek revenge. The Tempus Fuginaut contacts the (suicidal) Wally west and awakens the possibility of multi-universal travel. The cliffhanger is Wallay arrive in the universe of Grant Morrison (badly beaten) President Superman. So far, so good.

I thought it was pretty good, but it definitely felt like half of a comic instead of part one of a two-parter if that makes any sense.

I've heard people saying that it doesn't make any sense to go from Kamandi-future to Tommy Tomorrow-future, but I didn't have a problem with it. Life picks itself back up somehow, and I'm willing to dismiss it.

I did think it was an odd choice to have Rose/Thorn become immortal/long-living for some reason. Not sure what Bendis has in mind for that, but whatever. It's comics!

Lee Houston, Junior said:

No, I "know" you better than that. I was talking more to the masses (I can't remember how many people) who were opposed to the word.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Oh, please. You don’t think I’m that thin-skinned, do you?

Picked up all three TPBs for David Lapham's Young Liars series.  Attempted reading volume 1, but couldn't finish it.  Lapham is really spastic with this series.  YL might feel different for if I was reading it month-to-month, but collected together it reads too crazy.  Not sure I can continue with vols. 2 or 3,but I should try.

Last night, I dove into the newly arrived copy of Hook Jaw.  Like Lapham, Pat Mills is one of my all-time favorite comic scribes.  His stories can be downright silly, but never dull.  Hook Jaw is a great white shark embodying not so much a tyrannical fish, but an ecologic force of nature breaching the surface to give Man his comeuppance.  He roams the ocean with a perpetually protruding harpoon prominent from his jaw. 

Scratchy artwork by several Spanish artists, Hook Jaw is a lot of good humor and gore fun.  I'm enjoying it more than I did his dinosaurs and cowboys series, Flesh: the Dino Files.

I intended to reread Young Liars after the big Stray Bullets project. I was buying it in trades at the time. I don't remember really liking it, but I liked it enough to keep with it to the end. Something else I should revisit!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service