Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 54394

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yours is the first positive review I've seen of  "Three Jokers".  Every other reaction I've seen to it has been negative.

I didn't like this story much -- I thought Captain America was far too naive -- but it's better than most What If? stories featuring Captain America.

The Baron said:

I actually remember this version of the story better:

I felt like it could have been a good story if it had been given a little more thought, and maybe been a little longer.

ClarkKent_DC said:

I didn't like this story much -- I thought Captain America was far too naive -- but it's better than most What If? stories featuring Captain America.

The Baron said:

I actually remember this version of the story better:

The Baron said:

Yours is the first positive review I've seen of  "Three Jokers".  Every other reaction I've seen to it has been negative.

Where have you been reading those? Not here...?

On FB, mostly,   

Jeff of Earth-J said:

The Baron said:

Where have you been reading those? Not here...?

TOMB OF DRACULA: Up through #22; also Giant-Size Spider-Man and Dracula #1.

TOMB OF DRACULA: Up through #26; also Giant-Size Chillers #1 and Giant-Size Dracula #2-3.

MICRONAUTS: #1-12 (actually Micronauts Special Edition #1-5). 

MARVELS SNAPSHOTS: AVENGERS: This has an Iron Man cover by Alex Ross. He is the regular cover artist of this series, but he has also been doing alternate covers for a number of other Marvel series. As I stood in line to buy this, I was [six feet] behind a customer who was buying a stack of all the different covers Alex Ross has done recently. There were quite a few of them! If comics were still 60 cents apiece, I might have bought them all, too. 

There was a time I used to give comics a letter grade, depending on whether I thought it was "average" or "above average" or "below average." I would rate this comic a good, solid "C". That means "average" and that's nothing to be ashamed of. The story, about two first responders at an Avengers battle who fall in love (and various others sharing stories) wasn't all that engaging, plus the art art some very basic "technical difficulties" in spots.

IMMORTAL HULK #40: Speaking of Alex Ross covers (Ross is the regular cover artist of this series, too), he does a remarkable imitation of Sal Buscema's Hulk here. Inside, Joe Fixit (in Bruce Banner's body) bursts out of the Hulk, Doc Samson goes through the "Green Door" and finds himself in Walter Langkowski's body (thereby creating "Doc Sasquatch"), and if you're not already reading this series you have no idea what I'm talking about, do you? Also, the Hulk falls to Earth from orbit and is met by the thing, setting up the latest Hulk/Thing slugfest next issue.

DIE!DIE!DIE! #13: Like it says on the cover, "Come for the elderly strangulation, stay for the spaceships!" If this is not the best comic book currently being published, it is certainly my favorite (but I think it's the best, too). 

The first Die!Die!Die! collection has been on my Hoopla Favorites list for months, but I keep overlooking it. I'll certainly have to read it now.

The letters pages of Die!Die!Die! is presented as a kind of dialogue, with the editor's comments presented in bold black and Robert Kirkman's in bold grey. Oftentimes, the editorial comments are interspersed within the body of the letters. In the case of issue #13, the point is made that the letters page is being assembled two weeks before the election. Here's what Robert Kirkman had to say about that...

"I am VERY excited for you all to experience next issue. Oh, man, am I excited. And... wait... as you're reading this, the election is over? What's THAT like? Are things okay? Is it somehow more insane than times are right now? I guess we'll all find out, won't we? I hope you voted for sanity. that's Biden, by the way. He's the sane one. Is he going to be President now or are things just f*cked? Do we even kow yet? Is there a big fight brewing? Oh, dear, the suspense."

Last week really, but I read Unstable Molecules which I had been wanting to read for a while, since it has many accolades. Written by James Sturm with art by Guy Davis (honestly the main reason I bought it). This re-imagines the Fantastic Four as if they were based on real people, and this story is about those "real" people. I do give Marvel major props for giving us a non-superhero Fantastic Four story, but it just didn't resonate with me for some reason. I didn't hate it, just didn't live up to hype. Oddly enough, I do still recommend it as it is a neat experiment.

The past few months (thanks lockdown!) I've actually made a small dent in my unread comics. In these new reads, I recently got to Superboy #185. This is a 100 pager that is all reprints. This issue being a theme issue of teenage heroes. I don't give a rip about the 2 Superboy stories. I already had the LSH one. Now I was really interested in the Golden Age stories we got, mostly from a historical context.

We get a Star-Spangled Kid (and Stripesy) story from 1946. One from Kid Eternity from '47. Finally, the first appearance of Little Boy Blue and the Blue Boys from Sensation Comics #1 published in 1942. These were fun to read.

This issue also has a great wraparound cover by Nick Cardy.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service