Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 52771

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Currently re-reading Supergirl Archives, Volume 2

"Joël"?  My computer has a character map built into it.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

(there's an umlaut over the e of his first name, but I don't know how to do that)

Just checked, both first prints

Adding the conclusion to the reprint happened a few times (Daredevil, X-Men as noted), but they really dropped the ball on this one.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"I hadn't noticed this before, but volume 3 end with issue #120 (even on the dust jacket) and volume 4 starts with #122."

That's because you are reading a first print of volume three and a second print of volume four. Initially, volume three ended one issue shy of completeing the story and volume four picked up with #121. This oversight was "corrected" with later printings. Or maybe volume four always began with #122. In either case, later printing of volume three included an additional issue.

What really kind of cheeses me off about this situation is this: the first volume of the original X-Men included issue #1-10, and the second #11-21. This is because Marvel didn't want to end the second volume in the middle of a story (#20). BUT... if he'd've been thinking just a little bit ahead, he could have put issue #11 in the first volume (so the entire Lee/Kirby run would be available in a single volume), and the second volume would have been #12-21 and not have ended in the middle of a story.

Yeah, that's it. That's a cool feature.

The Baron said:

"Joël"?  My computer has a character map built into it.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

(there's an umlaut over the e of his first name, but I don't know how to do that)

“Just checked, both first prints”

It could be that the second print of v3 (including #121) came out before the first print of v4 (starting with #122). Something like that. Under those circumstances, even if If you've got two first prints, you'de still be missing #121.

“…they really dropped the ball on this one.”

Agreed. Sloppy… just sloppy.

WS, I know exactly what you mean about making boring interesting in Hostage. Also, to get those different characters check out the ASCII table. The bottom has all of them.

Jeff, I'm going out on a mental limb here, but I think I own one of those "Action Heroes" archives, and I think the one I have is volume 2. Of course I can't be 100% sure. Now I kind of hope I do, I'm interested in those Ditko Charlton stories.

I have both of the Action Heroes Archives. They are all Ditko. Volume 1 is all Captain Atom, his origin and earlier stories from Space Adventures and Captain Atom. Volume 2 Has the remaining Charlton hero stories that Ditko did generally after he left Spider-Man. Volume 2 has Captain Atom, the Ted Kord Blue Beetle and The Question. Nightshade's origin (in a Ditko Captain Atom story) is in Volume 1. Her team-ups with Captain Atom after this are in Volume 2. Her solo stories that appeared as back-ups are not in either volume, probably because Jim Aparo was he artist, not Ditko.

Cool! Thanks for the info Richard!

Richard Willis said:

I have both of the Action Heroes Archives. They are all Ditko. Volume 1 is all Captain Atom, his origin and earlier stories from Space Adventures and Captain Atom. Volume 2 Has the remaining Charlton hero stories that Ditko did generally after he left Spider-Man. Volume 2 has Captain Atom, the Ted Kord Blue Beetle and The Question. Nightshade's origin (in a Ditko Captain Atom story) is in Volume 1. Her team-ups with Captain Atom after this are in Volume 2. Her solo stories that appeared as back-ups are not in either volume, probably because Jim Aparo was he artist, not Ditko.

I'm still reading a month of Steve Canyon volume 2 (1948-49) every day. I'm really enjoying this strip -- which has a lot of Terry & the Pirates DNA in it -- maybe moreso than it started with, with the addition of Reed Kimberly as a sidekick, from what I've read. I've got three more months to read, and then I'll flash back to volume 1, which bought as I was reading this volume. It'll be cool to see the introduction of some characters whose surprising returns I've just witnessed.

Pretty sure I'll be buying volume 3 soon. IDW has 10 volumes out so far, which take the strip into the mid-60s. There's probably 11 or 12 more volumes to go, since Caniff continued it through 1988. Who knows whether we'll ever get to them. Volume 11 is due in February; they seem to be publishing one a year these days. 

“I'm still reading a month of Steve Canyon… every day.”

That’s my pace, too, when I read continuity strips.

“…then I'll flash back to volume 1”

My “Little Orphan Annie” read has hit a stall. I’m this close to joining you.

“There's probably 11 or 12 more volumes to go…”

I’ve wondered about that (since the binding spell out “S-T-E-V-E C-A-N-Y-O-N”).

“Who knows whether we'll ever get to them…“

Whether IDW will be solvent to publish them? I wonder about that, too. Every time I read something IDW related it’s about how close they are to bankruptcy. I wish them the best, but if they do go under, I hope another publisher picks up when they left off. But in today’s environment, like you said, “Who knows?”

I have a lot of Steve Canyon (published by Kitchen Sink Press) duplicated in my collection. I really need to cull it, so if you’re interested, let me know and I’m sure we can work something out.

There is at least one other board member I know of who has quite a bit of the early Steve Canyon in his collection. If we could convince him to read along with us, we could get a good discussion going. (I don’t want to run it, though, but I’ll commit to following along and commenting.)

TCM is showing the Terry and the Pirates movie serial every Saturday morning!

I've been alternating between reading back issues and reading trades, so recently I've read a handful of Daredevil and DC Comics Presents. A couple of the Daredevil's had Carmine Infantino on art which was neat

I also read The Psycho, a series originally published by DC back in 1991. It was creator owned, and this collection was put out by Image. Written by James Hudnall with some early art by Dan Brereton. This is an alternate history story in which WWII was ended by the newly developed superheroes called FCO (Freelance Costumed Operatives aka Psychos), and the atomic bomb was never developed.

I really liked this one, a superhero story with a global political angle. Yet, you aren't beaten over the head with the politics. Brereton developed some interesting characters. Some of the character designs you can see influenced his later work in The Nocturnals. There is a nice section in the back with sketches, designs, and comments by Brereton. He explains that Hudnall gave him a lot of free reign with a lot of the characters. Names, powers, designs.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service