Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 54089

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I read one of the Human Torch vs the Parrot stories and there is nothing about him wearing a mask! That's his real face! He didn't have an origin so I made him either a renegade Feitherian or one of Red Raven's Bird-People with some minor psychic power that prevents people from freaking out over him!

You know, having read a fair number of Golden Age comics - though doubtless not as many as you have - I have come to the conclusion that there were a lot of them that weren't very good.

Captain Comics said:

Despite having a lead character that is on fire, it's all pretty pedestrian.

Sadly, Carl Burgos was not on the same level as Joe Simon, Jack Kirby or Bill Everett.

The Baron said:

You know, having read a fair number of Golden Age comics - though doubtless not as many as you have - I have come to the conclusion that there were a lot of them that weren't very good.

Captain Comics said:

Despite having a lead character that is on fire, it's all pretty pedestrian.

Captain Comics said:

I read Pre-Code Classics: Space Adventures Volume One, and have little to say about it. The art quality is a bit higher than the Charlton I knew in the '60s, but that's a pretty low bar.

I haven't read any of their pre-code books, but I enjoyed many of their titles (hero, mystery and war) in the late 60s. The only bad thing at the time was their poor printing, especially the lining-up of the color plates. Their stories are a lot more enjoyable today in nicely printed collections.

TINTIN: Tintin in Tibet

DARK SHADOWS (GOLD KEY): I’ve moved on to the final volume.

STEVE CANYON: Through December 1947.

SILVER AGE HAWKMAN: Finished Archive volume two.

FIRST ISSUE SPECIAL: In anticipation of ranking the 13 issues, I have read/re-read Atlas, The Grren team, Metamorpho, Lady cop, Manhumter, Dingbats of Danger Street, Creeper and Warlord. Still to come: Dr. Fate, Outsiders, Code Nam: Assassin, Starman and Return of the New Gods.

I've been rereading the Peyer/Morales Hourman series from the 90s, and it's incredibly good! Lot of fun ideas, and Snapper Carr is a fantastic co-protagonist. 

I got several letters printed there!

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I've been rereading the Peyer/Morales Hourman series from the 90s, and it's incredibly good! Lot of fun ideas, and Snapper Carr is a fantastic co-protagonist. 

I've started reading Justice, Inc which teams up the Shadow, Doc Savage and the Avenger! 

Shocker: They don't like each other!

Oh, nice! I'll keep an eye out, Philip!

I remember that Hourman series. It was good.

The best thing about a character like that version of Hourman is that he could actually show up at any time anyone decided to bring him back. With time-travel and undoubtedly several tangent timelines, he could pop up any time a creator (or editorial) decided they wanted to use him.

Same is true of Chronos (the Gabriel Walker one from the 90's) and Waverider, for that matter!

I bought a little run of that Hourman series out of a 50¢ box. I remember seeing a letter or two from Philip in there. I may have even commented on it at the time.

Recently:

Bang #1 & 2: Number 2 actually came out before everything shutdown, everything shutdown. My LCS never pulled #1 for me. I've had to take a stand on this kind of stuff happening, so I told the owner I wouldn't buy number 2 until he got me number 1. Well, last week issue 1 finally came in. Enough of the boring set-up. I thought these first two issue were awesome! Issue one deals with Thomas Cord who is a James Bond-type of of spy. Issue 2 with a guy names John Shaw, who takes different drugs to give him temporary super-powers, or maybe the peak of human perfection. I don't want to get too deep into it, as I don't want to spoil it for anyone. Those first two issues had a lot of action, and interesting story.

Justice League #44 - The monsters are escaping Tartarus, and seem to be targeting Wonder Woman.I've enjoyed Robert Venditti's run, but it appears to be a short one.

Upshot Now #1 - This is a collection of the first issue of four different series from new publisher AWA, as well as previews for other issues/series. It was 5 bucks, but these are black & white and printed on newsprint. It's a great way to sample their wares. You get JMS on Resistance, which has a Rising Stars feel. Hotell looks to be a horror anthology that takes place at a motel off the beaten path. Archangel 8, deals with an assassin. Then Red Border, here we have a couple of Mexicans who got away from being killed by a drug cartel, and attempt to escape to the US. It was a heck of deal I thought, and I thought all of those first issues ranked from good to great.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service