Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 52675

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In my research on horror books for my McFarland book (which, to my frustration, I haven't worked on since I started my new job last August), I actually discovered the SSS name change as I tracked various books from another putblisher to Charlton, which happened with several horror/suspense books, often in 1954 or 1955 when the Code started. The GCD is really good for this, as it will list on the launch page for each book if it follows the numbering to or from some other book/publisher.

But I guarantee I wouldn't have remembered that when the time came. So thanks!

Also, I received my Space Adventures along with some other book Saturday, and am looking forward to the Blue Beetle stories. I've gone through all the pre-Code Beetle stories at Fox, Holyoke and Temerson, and so far his reporter girlfriend hasn't figured out that Dan Garret is the Beetle. I'll be interested to see Charlton's take.

Wait, wait... there's only one Blue Beetle story per issue and they both fairly sucked. (I just didn't want to get your hopes up too high.) I was just excited because I didn't know those appearances existed. I know the character went on to a solo series at Charlton.I hope PSArt reprints those, too, but they do mainly horror and suspense rather than super-hero (althought they did do Airboy).

So I take it the Fawcett SSS (#1-5) and the Charlton (#16 and up) are actually part of the same series, and PSArt han't yet (or has no plans to) reprint #6-15. I can see that because the logos are at least similar if not identical.

FIRST ISSUE SPECIAL: I finished reading issues #12 (Starman) and #13 (Return of the New Gods).

SUPERFRIENDS: This is a hardcover collection of the comic book series which was released, ironically, after the show had gone off the air. I remember watching the very first season when it first aired, but that was toward the end of my cartoon-watching days. Consequently, I remember Wendy & Marvin, but I’ve never seen Zan & Jayna. The comic books are better than I expected them to be. For one thing, they (loosely) to other DC comics continuity of the time; for another, they provide much needed background material.

For example, “Superfriends” exists in addition to the Justice League of America, not instead of it. The JLA still maintains their satellite headquarters, and the Hall of Justice serves as a training academy for new super-heroes. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman were chosen to sponsor the Superfriends program because they had all trained in the use of their respective powers since childhood. At some point, additional students would have been added; Wendy & Marvin were part of a “pilot program.” But why them?

Wendy Harris is the niece of Detective Harvey Harris, who trained young Bruce Wayne in the use of police methods. Marvin White is the son of Daniel White and the original Diana Prince (from whom Wonder Woman got her secret identity). There is also a four-part story, #7-10, in which Wendy & Marvin have graduated high school and are moving on, and Zan & Jayna, the Wonder Twins, are introduced.

On Earth-Two, there was Wendi Harris, an actress who got engaged and later married Rex (Hourman) Tyler and is the mother of Rick (Hourman II) Tyler.

On the letters page, Nelson Briwell speculated the two might be counterparts, as people on Earth-1 are often younger than their Earth-2 counterparts.

I know that Super Friends would reference events from the "proper" DC books, past and present but did any book refer to Super Friends?

Not that I know of. I doubt it.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're getting at, but isn't Super Friends the comic where the Global Guardians made their debut? They were a pretty big part of the Justice League Europe book. And it's also where Fire and Ice first appeared (as a part of the GG), and they were big in the JLA, naturally.

The closest I can recall is that some characters who had only appeared previously in Super Friends made cameos in Crisis on Infinite Earths, mostly fighting the shadow demons in #12.

Philip Portelli said:

I know that Super Friends would reference events from the "proper" DC books, past and present but did any book refer to Super Friends?

Technically the Global Guardians as a group did not exist until DC Comics Presents #46 (Ju'82) in which they entered the DCU "for reals". Then again E. Nelson Bridwell wrote this so it read very much like an issue of Super Friends!

btw, the Green Fury was later renamed the Green Flame then simply Fire! She was not one of the international heroes who debuted in SF #7-9 but in #25 where she was running the Brazilian branch of Wayne Enterprises!

Philip Portelli said:

btw, the Green Fury was later renamed the Green Flame then simply Fire! She was not one of the international heroes who debuted in SF #7-9 but in #25 where she was running the Brazilian branch of Wayne Enterprises!

I bet that led to a few close shaves.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service