Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 62406

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Finally started Saga Volume One. It's very good, but maybe my expectations have been raised to an impossible height, because I'm not blown away. Maybe it will kick in with issues 4 - 6 tomorrow. I did a good job keeping myself spoiler-free, because I had no idea what to expect.

And Planetary #25 - 26. The big conclusion! And it was big, and satisfying overall. This only leaves the Epilogue issue for tomorrow. Since there was a three year gap in the original publication at this point, it seems only fair to make myself wait a day ;)

Finished Saga Volume One. I enjoyed it very much, and am looking forward to seeing where it goes next. But I am still a bit underwhelmed. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I think maybe it's the fact that the story is so...domestic is what's thrown me off. It's really a family drama, for all the alien trappings, and the conclusion of issue 6 makes it look likely to become even more so.

I was really enjoying Planetary, so I'm sorry to see it end, although it's nice to have an ending. I'll visit the Reading Planetary discussion later and set down my final impressions. Just to bring that to an end as well.

Finished Swamp Thing vol. 1: Raise Them Bones. This is the third New 52 Trade that I've read (Suicide Squad and Omac being the other two) and I'm not sure what their idea was behind this rebooting but so far the only book I've liked was Omac and that was cancelled after, what, 8 issues?

Suicide Squad was just so-so. I didn't find the stories or characters compelling and entertaining. Swamp Thing suffers from just being drawn out too long. The Trade covers the first 7 issues of the series and Alec Holland doesn't accept becoming the Swamp Thing until issue 7! It was a long wait reading the Trade, I can't imagine reading the monthly books, it must have seemed like forever!

I may get the 2nd volume only because the Swamp Thing is front and center now but I don't think the storytelling will change. If the story line doesn't go anywhere then that will probably be it for Swamp Thing.

Other New 52 Trades I'm waiting on are Cap Atom, GL, GLC, Batman and Detective.

Unfortunately I dropped Swamp Thing because the character just didn't register to me as Swamp Thing. Instead of being something new, it just rehashes a lot of what Alan Moore introduced and not as effectively. Plus linking Swamp Thing with Animal Man tries to blend Moore with Morrison and it's an ill-fitting pairing.

LI’L ABNER: Finished V4, ready for V5 (solicited for this week).

MAGNUS, ROBOT FIGHTER: Still reading V2.

FF MASTERWORKS V14: This is the surprise of the weekend (because I really had no intention to read it), but sometimes you’ve just got to read what you’re in the mood to read.

I read Amazing Spider-Man #698. On a very rare same day purchase and read, because my shop owner told me not to go online until I'd read it, because I would be spoiled. It was a pretty nutty ending (and I kind of saw it coming), but not QUITE as bad as I thought it would be.

Oddly enough, I'm going to read all my Atlas Era Masterworks volumes that arrived this last week.

And if FF #14 shows up, I'll do that one too.  You're my kind of guy, Jeff....

Jeff of Earth-J said:

LI’L ABNER: Finished V4, ready for V5 (solicited for this week).

MAGNUS, ROBOT FIGHTER: Still reading V2.

FF MASTERWORKS V14: This is the surprise of the weekend (because I really had no intention to read it), but sometimes you’ve just got to read what you’re in the mood to read.

Sorry, Kirk! Just know that it's a fun little ride.

Kirk G said:

Alright, now you've got me worried.  MY lcbs clerk also told me that I'd be shocked at the cliffhanger that was coming.

I'm very worried about where this is headed...and my LCBS is closed now that we're into the holiday weekend.

Damn you, Sensei!

Started Fatale Book One: Death Chases Me, another series I've been anxiously awaiting in collected form. Good so far. I'd have to say I'm finding it a little harder to follow than usual, what with the flashbacks and similar-looking characters.

After a short Planetary break I'm back to old Vertigo miniseries, with the first two issues of Vertigo Pop! Tokyo by Jonathan Vankin & Seth Fisher. This is even stranger than I remembered. The American protagonist in Tokyo feels completely disoriented, and the story makes me feel the same way. July 2002 was an interesting time at Vertigo. Y - The Last Man was launching, Fables was on its third issue, and Transmetropolitan was just about to wrap up.

Interesting comments on Fatale, a series which I started and enthused about.  However, I'm about to cancel it as I too am becoming confused and the violence and gore are just a bit too much for me.

I read the 3 Black Orchid stories in Adventure Comics 429/29/30.  I'd forgotten how entertaining they are.

Fatale made more sense to me when I realized that the first arc is essentially a flashback. Then you've got to accept that the supernatural elements are real, which took a minute. But by the end it did fall together. Today I started Nathan Edmondson & Brett Weldele's The Light, collecting a five issue Image miniseries from 2010. I completely missed this originally, and picked up the trade at HeroesCon. It's a really scary horror story. Something is causing people (and animals) to get infected by any light source connected to the power grid, which causes spontaneous combustion. It's got an apocalyptic zombie vibe, but it's an interesting twist. Moved on to Vertigo Pop! London by Peter Milligan and Philip Bond, the second four issue miniseries in this series. There is a connection with the Tokyo story, in that they both feature a male rock star, but the tone is quite different. I remember this as the best of the three, and I'm really enjoying it. Milligan & Bond: how can you go wrong?

I've read Mister Universe #2 at Comic Book Plus, which lists it with the Comic Media titles. (The GCD lists the title separately as from "Media".) This was an early 50s titles about the adventures of a champion wrestler/adventurer that lasted five issues. The story in this issue is book-length and involves Mr Universe leading an expedition into the Brazilian jungle to find a lost city. It reads somewhat like a Donald Duck/Uncle Scrooge adventure. Mr Universe is from the flawless hero tradition. He has two associates, one of which I take to be his manager and the other of which is a comic relief figure called Scarcely who is unintelligent and looks like an ape.

The art was by Ross Andru and Mike Esposito, and it's really superior; it's lively and clear and has a bigfoot element. According to the GCD the story was by Harry Kanter. I wouldn't call the tale a lost classic; its humour is not actually funny, its story is familiar and not actually exciting, and although the characters have personalities I wasn't won over by them. But art is attractive, it benefits from its bigfoot element, and the artists' storytelling is really, really good. Their work didn't yet have the look they used in the Silver Age, but you can occasionally see they're the same artists.

The tribal people in the story look like black Africans rather than South Americans. Scarcely's blundering (spoiler warning) gets two soldiers killed early in the story and apparently brings about the destruction of the lost city at the end (although this point is not spelled out).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Captain Comics replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"Amazing how many DC projects in 1988 didn’t have Batman in them. What were they thinking?"
33 minutes ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I unfortunately don't have all the "Super Son" issues, let alone the trade paperback…"
3 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"ANNUAL #4: This self-contained done-in-one presents Swamp Thing's fifth encounter with the…"
4 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion All in Color for a Dime
"11. "Comic of the Absurd" by Harlan Ellison This is the eleventh chapter in a ten-chapter…"
4 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"GOOD AGAINST EVIL (1977): "A young couple is forced to confront the ultimate horror when Satan…"
5 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"These two go together. Ma and Pa Kent always end up encased in giant bubbles for some reason."
6 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Eddie and his parents"
7 hours ago
Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"A couple of would-be parents. With regard to my "classrooms" suggestion, I've been…"
7 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"A famous father and son-- though, the Gold Key cover actually features an imposter pretending to be…"
7 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"Satan's Triangle (1975) I saw this when it was originally on TV as a movie of the week. It was…"
12 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Jack Knight and his father Ted Knight, the original Starman (and of course The Shade)"
12 hours ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Busy day on the medical front (don't worry, I'm all right. Just a couple of different…"
16 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service