Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 51511

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Saga #1 and Walking Dead #1. I enjoyed both, but I'm not in any hurry to continue reading either. I do watch the Walking Dead TV show.

Batman #13, the first "Death of the Family" issue that was the Comixology freebie on the first of their "12 Days of Free Comics" promotion. I liked it, despite having only a general notion of the state of the Bat Family in the New 52 (which was pretty much the status quo before the relaunch, wasn't it?). I may just have to read the collection when the library gets it.

I thought Death of the Family was pretty good. However, Batman 1-12, which is the Court of Owls is fantastic. If you like Death in the Family you would probably like that as well.

Mark Sullivan (Vertiginous Mod) said:

Batman #13, the first "Death of the Family" issue that was the Comixology freebie on the first of their "12 Days of Free Comics" promotion. I liked it, despite having only a general notion of the state of the Bat Family in the New 52 (which was pretty much the status quo before the relaunch, wasn't it?). I may just have to read the collection when the library gets it.

Thanks for the suggestion, Jason. There is an oblique reference made to the Owls story line in this issue, too. This morning I read the first issue of Lazarus, the second day's Comixology giveaway. Liked that too--as I expected, since it's more in my usual wheelhouse--and I'm looking forward to reading the first collection. There's a very thoughtful text piece by Rucka about the genesis of the series, which includes some of Lark's conceptual character sketches.

Jack Kirby's OMAC TPB: I really enjoyed this series! Even though someone had drawn the last page because the book was abruptly cancelled to "end" the story there are still cliffhangers aplenty that I'm not sure were ever resolved! Kirby's futuristic ideas are certainly entertaining and interesting. A very enjoyable read!

Masks TPB: I didn't really like this story. Aside from the fact that I think it just had too many characters involved, It seemed more like a vehicle to introduce The new Zorro and Black Bat (and Zorro just seemed out of place with this group). It also seemed to drag in spots for long periods. To go from Alex Ross doing the art on the first issue to Dennis Calero finishing the rest of the issues...nah. Either have Calero do all 8 issues or Ross.

Legends of the Dark Knight TPB: Very hit or miss. Some stories were just okay ("All of the Above"), some stories were great ("Letters to Batman", "A Slam Bradley Mystery") and some were downright awful ("The Butler Did It", "Together"). That's what you get when you have all different creators take their turn at the Dark Knight and luckily there were more okay and great stories than awful. 

I have a theory that Omac was visually modelled after a Golden Age WWII-fighting hero called Man of War. I posted an account of him here.

The film Project X (1968) similarly uses speculations about the future as background elements of adventure story. The interest Lyz shows in these elements of the film in her review taught me to respect them, and by extension the speculations in OMAC. If you like that element in OMAC, you might find the film an interesting comparison. (Anyone else out there seen it? I'd be interested to hear if you'd agree, because I'm worried the similarity only exists in my mind.)

Kamandi #50 established that Buddy Blank was Kamandi's grandfather, killed in Kamandi #1. An OMAC back-up series was added to the title in its last issue before it was cancelled in the DC Implosion, and the series was subsequently restarted and continued in Warlord ##37-39, 42-47. In this the Peace Agents were really aliens and they were all wiped out in a coup by a small group of giant corporations that afterwards ran the world. A sequel to the Doctor Skuba story without Omac appeared in Hercules Unbound #10.

Thanks, Luke!!

I've never seen the 1968 Project X but it sounds pretty cool. I can't find it on Netflix so I'll have to use other internet resources.

This morning I moved on to Comixology freebie Day Three, Red Sonja #1 by Gail Simone & Walter Geovani. Lots of fun, despite my having no history with the character. Simone plays it straight for the most part, but there are little winking bits like Sonja being addressed as "she of the excellent cleavage." There's an interesting look at four pages of the book with Simone's script accompanied by inked and colored pages.

I'm REALLY enjoying the 3rd Scarlet Spider trade. Such a shame this series is to end. Best solo hero series for AGES

I'm finally reading Alex Robinson's Box Office Poison, which I downloaded when Top Shelf had their big digital sale. I've always intended to read it--it's been frequently recommended--but have balked at the price and the sheer size of the physical book. At 602 pages it's easily the biggest book I've gotten through Comixology. The download was pretty bumpy at first; it kept stalling at the 11% point. Their techs kept working with me until we got it sorted out. I'm enjoying it so far. While the basic concept isn't especially original--B&W slice of life story about a group of young people's coming of age--it's very well done, with an interesting, varied cast of characters.

In addition to more Box Office Poison (I'm on page 368 of 602, so this will take a while), I read a couple more digital comics, making this an all-digital morning. First up was the current issue of The Private Eye, which is still probably my favorite current comic. More on that at the ongoing thread. And another Comixology freebie, the first issue of Tim Seeley and Mike Norton’s Revival. Very intriguing first issue. I'll have to get my hands on the first collection so I can see where they go with it.

I read the story "The Case of the Roman Curse" from ACG's Adventures Into the Unknown #7 (1949), here. The story was drawn by Jon Blummer. Its protagonist is a professional ghost-hunter called Christopher Fenn. Although it has no series logo I thought it might be part of a series and searched the GCD for further stories with the character using Google. The search found one, "Druid's Castle" in Farrell's Fantastic Fears #3 (1953).

This surprised me, as due to its style I thought the story was likely by Richard E. Hughes, and he was ACG's long-time editor. I read the Farrell story at Comic Book Plus. The stories share so many story elements (main action set in Britain, druids, human sacrifice, use of yew or mistletoe, Roman camps) that it's clear they were written by the same person. It could be that the stories were by someone else who had learned to write in Hughes's style or the first script was rewritten by Hughes, but I think the style of the second is Hughes's too, so my guess is both stories were by Hughes and he was moonlighting.

The Farrell story is bloodier than the ACG one: perhaps it was too much so for ACG. It may have been written at the same time as the other, or Hughes may have reviewed the earlier story before writing it. I think it's the stronger of the two, with a more imaginative story and an interesting conclusion. The GCD attributes its art to the Iger Shop. The artist seems to have been a bit thrown by a bit where the sympathetic characters take refuge in the remains of a Roman camp.

There might be further stories with the character, or these might be the only two. I didn't find another one in the adjacent issues of Adventures Into the Unknown.

This post displaced the thread Galaxy Quest, Lost in Space comics, small press comics that never finished storylines? from the home page.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service