Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 47965

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As I mentioned over on the This Week's Comics thread, I'm just getting around to The Walking Dead Vol. 18: What Comes After, which collects issues #103-108. I have been following the comic sporadically the last few years, but I got caught up in the big 100th issue buzz. This collection is mostly a big lull in the action by comparison. We get to know Negin better, and big surprise: he's a charming, erratic psychopath. Kirkman teases us by putting Carl in danger (as well as Rick and Michonne, briefly). Too slow for me. Given what a long, slow grind the Negin arc has been, I think I'm checking out for now.

Also started Great Pacific Vol.1: Trashed! This is the one about the oil heir who settles the infamous Great Pacific Garbage Patch. I thought it was an intriguing premise, but there have been so many interesting Image series lately that this has been on my to-read list for over a year! The first issue is all setup, so I won't really feel like I've gotten into it until tomorrow.

Adam Warlock the Complete Collection - love the hairdo on the Magus

This weekend I'm finally getting to the collected Brother Lono, Brian Azzarello & Eduardo Risso's 100 Bullets sequel. Takes me right back into that world. It's got all the dark magic of the original. Risso draws the most distinctive faces in comics, especially his criminals (plenty of those here).

Marvel Masterworks Uncanny X-men vol. 7 - This issues 151-159 of the series. Plus Annual #5 and Avengers Annual #10. The Avengers one is the introduction of Rogue. I put all of these comics at average at best, and a number of them just weren't good. Sorry, I just don't give a rip about the Brood, or Shi'ar, or Starjammers.

Claremont just about drove me to the proverbial bottle with his constant use of the word "proverbial". About once an issue.

The only thing I really liked was the characterization of Kitty Pryde. That was really well done.

I never realized how weird it is when characters eat/lounge around in their costumes all of the time. It struck me how weird when I saw Corsair is his uniform eating with Alex, Scott, and  Lorna, who were in civvies.

It makes sense if the characters don't know each other, like the Avengers until somebody decided it would be cool if everybody unmasked. Otherwise, unless a character is too busy to change it makes them look obsessive. It seems with more and more characters revealing who they are that there'd be more scenes than ever of everybody out of costume. If everybody knows you're Spider-Man, but you still wear the costume all the time, people are going to start thinking you're crazy.

I actually hated the fact that it took so many years for the teams to reveal their IDs to each other. You trust these people with your life, but not your name? Idiotic.

In the case of the X-men it isn't even applicable, since they already know each other. I just know I wouldn't want to be sitting next to Wolverine while he ate after he just spent an hour in the Danger Room.

It suggests they're not really comfortable with walking around wearing a costume and don't want anyone to know they're doing it, even other people walking around in costumes. Also technically these guys are all vigilantes (except Batman, and who knows how he swung that deal with Gordon) and don't want to risk a buddy making an anonymouse call to the cops some day. Also there may be a stigma in such worlds against being a crimefighter they might not want to face, like Stan Lieber signing a fake name and telling people he wrote for magazines because he was embarrassed to admit he worked in comic books.

I wouldn't want to be sitting next to Wolverine any time. Like sitting next to a tiger or a boa constrictor. They can seem perfectly docile for years...until the day they suddenly turn around and attack their trainer for no reason.

I don't understand your first point. What does that have to do with heroes trusting each other with their secret identities, when they are trusting these people with their lives?

Take out Wolverine, and put any X-man who had been in the Danger Room for an hour, it would be disgusting sitting next to them afterwards unless they changed and took a shower. Or after Captain America trained. or Batman spent a night out on patrol.

I doubt it would occur to them that way until it was pointed out to them. And it wouldn't be the same for every team. At the time everyone knew Steve Rogers was Captain America (Johnny Storm pointed out the comics said so.) Otherwise I can see him telling the original Avengers who he was, but not his Kooky Quartet, who clearly didn't like him at first, and as far as he knew could have just been pretending to reform to destroy the Avengers from within. The same with Swordsman and Mantis when they first joined. By the time I would have trusted him with my true identity, Kang would have already shot him.

An anime artist once said she had had a crush on Hercules until she read about those stables then she couldn't stand thinking about him because "He must have STUNK!"

Up for this weekend – Fatale Book 4: Pray For Rain. This arc involves a rock band, which I always enjoy seeing in comics. Although most bands don't rob banks.

At the beach this week, so I brought Hack/Slash Omnibus Volume 2, which contains issues #1-17 of the ongoing series plus an Annual. That should be enough to keep me busy for a few days! One change from Volume 1 is immediately evident: the series has a more consistent look due to Emily Stone penciling most of it.

The Spectre Vol. 1: Crimes and Judgements. Which collects the first 12 issues of the Ostrander/Mandrake series. I was missing a few issue from this, and I never thought to pick them up. Now I got all of them in a nice collection. A very good read if you haven't read them yet.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service