Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 47942

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Re-reading Essential Man-Thing Vol. 1. Some of those Steve Gerber scripts are mind-blowing (as they said in the '70s), especially the "Night of the Laughing Dead" two-parter. No wonder the book didn't last long. This was much too weird for mainstream newsstand comics.
I re-read George RR Martin's Wild Cards: The Hard Call series again, now that it's completed, and I'll be picking up the HC collection on Sept 29th, since I just ordered it, thanks to Previews. :D

Also, I've re-read the Predators comics (prequel, adaptation & sequel) again, since I'm going to see the film on Teusday the 20th.
Mark Sullivan said:
Read half of The Last Days of Animal Man, which I picked up in fifty cent bins at HeroesCon. I'm enjoying it so far; I think it does capture the feeling of the Morrison run. The Brian Bolland covers would have been worth half a buck by themselves. Also started Sweet Tooth Vol. 1: Out Of The Deep Woods. It certainly is bleak, like most post-apocalyptic fiction. Everything in the first two issues is so strange that I have no idea what to expect next, which is actually a good thing.

Finished these. I liked the Animal Man series. It's a nice ending for his career as a superhero. It does rely pretty heavily on recent history in Infinite Crisis and 52, which I haven't read, although it's explained in context. Can anyone tell me who this Flash is? He looks like he might be Hispanic, and his suit features the lightning bolt and oval on the upper left (where a pocket would be on a shirt). Sweet Tooth has me hooked enough that I want to know more about the post-apocalyptic setting, and what happens to Gus. It's too dark for me to totally commit to, though. A lot will depend on the 2nd volume.
Re-read the "notorious" Gwen Stacy clone saga from 1975. (It's in Essential S-M Vol. 7.) And ... after 35 years, it's not that bad. Gerry Conway really doesn't deserve the fan abuse heaped on him. It runs about the right length (about 6 issues), so it's not dragged out like the 1995-97 "clone saga" was. And the parting between Peter and the Gwen-clone is quite touching.
And while Gwen-Two was a pawn, she was an unwilling and unknowing one. She was just as confused as Peter was. I was more opposed to the Spider-Clone and how he was disposed of. To my 10 year old mind, it was very disturbing.

BTW, Ross Andru could draw every Spider-Man story and I would have been a happy camper!
"She was just as confused as Peter was."

Yep, Conway actually made me worry about her. Whenever I read it, I wonder what became of her after she got into that taxi after saying goodbye to Peter. Say what you will about Gerry Conway, he made me CARE about people who only existed as drawings on paper.

And this story has a good lesson: You can't re-create the past. At some point, most of us have to learn that the hard way.
Got my free copy of Neil Young's Greendale that I won from a contest on the Vertigo blog. Decided to split it up over two days, so I only read the first half today. Gorgeous artwork, but the storytelling is so slow: nothing but setup so far, really. And the Poe portion of the Richard Corben Haunt of Horror TPB I picked up at HeroesCon. Very freely adapted, but they're effective little horror tales in the EC tradition. You can see just how free the adaptations are, because the original Poe works (mostly poems, with a couple of short stories) follow the comics. Tomorrow I'll see how he does adapting H.P. Lovecraft.
Mark Sullivan said:
Got my free copy of Neil Young's Greendale that I won from a contest on the Vertigo blog. Decided to split it up over two days, so I only read the first half today. Gorgeous artwork, but the storytelling is so slow: nothing but setup so far, really. And the Poe portion of the Richard Corben Haunt of Horror TPB I picked up at HeroesCon. Very freely adapted, but they're effective little horror tales in the EC tradition. You can see just how free the adaptations are, because the original Poe works (mostly poems, with a couple of short stories) follow the comics. Tomorrow I'll see how he does adapting H.P. Lovecraft.

Finished these. Corben's Lovecraft adaptations are more literal, probably because he had more actual action described in the texts (much of the Poe he used is strong on emotional states, but pretty sketchy on setting and action). But some of the strongest stories happened when Corben elaborated on a brief story, like "The Well." Again the adaptations were followed by the text, which had the bonus of getting me to read Lovecraft for the first time. Greendale was just OK, which was disappointing. I'll visit the Greendale thread later and say more.
The Trouble with [Lester] Girls, Volume 2.

Been waiting 20 years
Dick Tracy Monthly #5 - I guess Dick Tracy and Chester Gould just aren't my thing.
Dracula vs. Capone #1 - This looked like it could have been fun, but the rest of the series was never published
Doc Savage: Devil's Thoughts #1
I just reread issues 1-4 of American Vampire so that I'll better enjoy the conclusions to the both opening chapters come Wednesday. The details of what was happening it each had gotten a little hazy for me. (And from then on, it's trades for me.)
Took some reading-at-the-bookstore time today, and read Green Lantern: Rage of the Red Lanterns, Incredible Hulk: Fall of the Hulks, and the Death of Dracula one-shot. All of them read as if I was coming in in the middle of a story whose happenings I should be more fully aware of than I was.

The Fall of the Hulks book was particularly bad: Marvel has, for whatever reason, split the Hulk chapters and the Incredible Hulk chapters of this crossover into their own books, rather than inter-weaving them so that the narrative flows. Subsequently, in both books, you have half of the plot taking place off-camera.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service