Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers #1, which was really good ("There will be no eating of teammates."), and G.I. Joe: Cobra #1-3. People who know me know that I don't just pick up and read a G.I. Joe comic. I've never been into them, and I was never even into the toys, really. But the guys on iFanboy really recommended this book, saying it doesn't feel like a Joe book at all. And it really doesn't. It's a lot more like a Queen and Country story. One of the guys (in the Hawaiian shirt) goes undercover, and it's an extremely good spy story so far. Cobra nor G.I. Joe (I believe) have never been mentioned in this book, but some of the characters have. VERY highly recommended!

Views: 34861

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Agree 100% about both Paper Girls and Brian K. Vaughan's work in general. I had the same issues with Saga.

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Paper Girls - I was reading it, but I recently dropped it, so I guess I disagree about it being one of the best non-super hero comics. Brian K Vaughn is very hit-or-miss with me. I dug it at the beginning, but its taking too long to get where it needs to be going and it is hurt by its publication schedule. IE the nest issue isn't scheduled to come out until June. Which I just can't hang with anymore. If it ever gets finished, I might pick the rest of it up, and binge read it.

I agree about Saga. I read the first issue and jusrt couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

POGO: I’m up to Animal Comics #23 (1946). It strikes me that groups of four males tend to break into pairs: Lenard & Sheldon, Howard & Raj; John & Paul, George and Ringo. In Animal Comics it’s Pogo & Albert, Churchy & Howland.

SKY MASTER OF THE SPACE FORCE: “Wedding in Space” is pure hearts and flowers. An astronaut stationed on the Sky Wheel space station has a heart condition which will prevent his returning to Earth for months, perhaps years, so he breaks off his engagement. “Mayday” conspires to “smuggle” his fiancé up to him, but it turns out she is a qualified astronaut herself and “Mayday” merely let the bride take her place.

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (2010) #1:

The 2010 series flows right out of “Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes.” Actually, “Legion of Three Worlds” occurred in between, and although it is one of my very favorite LSH stories ever, I will not be reading it at this time because I’m not sure which box it’s in and I’d have to move heaven and Earth to find it (not literally, but practically as many longboxes).

I should have mentioned yesterday that Earth-Man is Kirt Niedrigh, the former Absorbency Boy, a LSH reject. In fact, all of his “Justice League” members were former rejects, all from Earth. A comparison is set up between the “Rejects” and the Legion of Substitute Heroes, how each group handled their rejection. It is also revealed that the Rejects were not turned down just because of their screwy powers, but because of their psych profiles (as scanned by Saturn Girl) as well. The Subs were turned down merely because of their lack of experience.

After the fall-out from “Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes,” the United Planets have mandated that the Legion accept Earth-Man as a member. I should also mention that the fist pictured on the cover above is Earth-Man’s, who has also been chosen to be the Green Lantern of Space Sector 2814.

Longtime Legion scribe Paul Levitz returns to write this new series.

I finally received a belated Christmas gift (it was out of stock): Love and Capes (Vol. 4): What to Expect. Continuing the adventures of Abby and Mark, who in the previous volume learned that Abby is pregnant. This book follows the pregnancy up to and after the birth, with a bonus story thrown in -- a Valentine's Day special that originally was available only online.

I like Thom Zahler's blend of Silver Age whimsy and romantic comedy. As always, the superhero action is off-screen; it's about how superheroes navigate the mundane concerns of life. Which for Abby means morning sickness, the penchant of other women to tell her scary stories about difficult labor, declining sales at her bookstore, and the "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" possibility. Mark, whose hero guise is The Crusader, worries about being an absentee dad -- enough to consider giving up being a superhero.

Best bud Darkblade has his own relationship troubles with Amazonia; they never spend any time together, so he relents on his loner schtick and takes on a sidekick (although, he insists, "We prefer to call them interns.") Worse, Amazonia has been called back home, because her mother has had a stroke and she is next in line to take the throne, which means she can never return.

Zahler's art style is clean and cartoony, kind of like the late Mike Parobeck's work. I've liked Love and Capes, but it's been iffy finding all the issues. Plus, I was unaware that this collection was the swan song. Too bad; it was a great ride.

I'm getting Saga in TPB, and am about to read the 8th collection. I love it. YMMV

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I agree about Saga. I read the first issue and jusrt couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

I liked Saga well enough initially, and read about the first 30-40 issues then realized that the story had more or less begun treading water. I felt the same way about Paper Girls. I wonder if it's a Brain K. Vaughan thing.

Richard Willis said:

I'm getting Saga in TPB, and am about to read the 8th collection. I love it. YMMV

Superman 39. After defeating the Demolition Team Superman takes children from a cancer clinic to visit the JLA satellite. I love stories like this. Makes me wish there were real life Super heroes.

New Super-Man and the Justice League of China #20.  The first issue with this new title.  On their off time, the Leaguers go to a ski resort.  The romance between Bat-Man and Wonder-Woman is ticking over nicely, and we get hints of a possible romance between Super-Man and the Flash.  Alas, their day out is spoiled when they encounter Apokoliptian villain Sleez, and narrowly miss being caught by the Lantern Corps of China. Meanwhile, we see what looks like the origin of the Aqua-Man of North Korea!

Still really enjoying this book.  

AVENGERS #680: Murky.

CAPTAIN AMERICA #698: Captain America awakens from the ice he was frozen into at the end of last issue to face a dystopian future. [SPOILER] The issue’s strongest beat occurs about half way through when it is revealed he’s only been “on ice” for seven years! [END SPOILER] I don’t know how Mark Waid is going to extricate Cap from this reality, but I am dying to find out.

STRAY BULLETS: SUNSHINE & ROSES #32: This is one of my favorite (dare I say one of the best?) current non-superhero series on the market. If you’re reading it, you already know that; if you’re not, chances are you’re not reading these comments, either. [FULL DISCLOSURE: This is the same thing I wrote last week about Paper Girls #20.]

GRASS KINGS #12: This is one of my favorite (dare I say one of the best?) current non-superhero series on the market. If you’re reading it, you already know that; if you’re not, chances are you’re not reading these comments, either. [FULL DISCLOSURE: This is the same thing I wrote last week about Paper Girls #20 and about Stray Bullets above.]

NOTICE: My time in this forum may be limited for a while as I start training for my new job (same company, different department) next week.

The Walking Dead Vol. 28: A Certain Doom deals with the fallout from the Whisperers War, which turns out to be a much bigger threat than the war itself. The Whisperers sent a huge group of walkers into enemy territory, and we're talking thousands. It's the biggest group of walkers anyone in Rick's group have ever seen. So they begin applying the tactics they have learned to deal with walker herds, but the sheer magnitude creates a challenge. There's a lot of narrative devoted to this, which becomes a bit tedious, but it does set up a major death. The Saviors take the opportunity to challenge Rick, to the point that their leader (Dwight's former wife Sherry) tries to kill Rick, dying herself in the process. Negan steps in to negotiate, and proves very capable in the role--he may actually be a changed man.

Nailbiter Vol. 5: Bound By Blood
Joshua Williamson, story; Mike Henderson, art; Adam Guzowski, colors; John J. Hill, letters & book design
Image Comics, 2016

The Nailbiter saga begins to draw to a close in this volume (one more to conclude the series). It opens with the Nailbiter/Hack/Slash crossover, which serves as an effective prequel to the main serial killer protagonists in this arc. The Nailbiter is stalking another Buckaroo serial killer called Mister Fatal (who tries out "what ifs" on his victims, like seeing if they will die from a thousand cuts). Back in the present, Agent Finch is returning to Buckaroo to continue investigating the Butcher phenomenon, and offers the Nailbiter a ride. Alice (the daughter of Sheriff Crane and the Nailbiter) suddenly finds herself in the middle of the Butcher mystery rather than trying to investigate it. The central mystery of why Buckaroo produced so many serial killers is partially explained--and the Master behind it is still on the scene, so I expect an explosive series finale.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service