Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 55942

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...VENOMIZED #3
BETTY AND ME #74 Complete w/a " Betty Cooper Bicentennial Quiz " filler facing an ad for 10 clone versions of famous perfumes for a dollar....Chanel No. 5,
Shalimar, My Sin and Charlie for four, but there's no Opium yet!!!!!...and a Publisher's Statement indicating that BAM had sold an average of 160,000ish copies per issue in the last year... but the last issue had reached the 180,000 range!!!!!!! Facing a male figure-emphathizing correspondence school ad.
DENNIS THE MENACE HIGHLIGHTS one-shot 1969 Reprints of U-belive 50s DTM stories, a 25c 64-pager. I had this, in the long-ago past. No ads, beyond the outer and inner back cover, inside Fri t deprived DTM daily panels. In one story Dennis father visits his old Navy friend, still in the Navy. They remember " the war ", it is stated that Henry Mitchell was a CPO in the Navy.
...I will have to take a break on the second part of this, this phone needs recharging. I am in the hospital yet again to-day.
...I meant that, the inside front cover reprinted DTM daily panels, etc.! This PHONE!

Originally the Space Family Robinson was a different family, but for confusion the mother's name was June - same as the actress who played the mother (Maureen) on Lost In Space. The father was Craig Robinson, and there were only two children - Tim and Tam.

...THIRTEEN GOING ON EIGHTEEN #29 -I think- Nicosia title just " Thirteen ". Dell,  january 1970 -I think- I thought this was a late 50s/early 60s title from when Dell went to 15 cents for a while.  I know that this John Stanley creation has a following - And still no O. G.  WHIZ reishes!!!:-€ - The lead female character did't really seem like a 13-year old to me.  Maybe a 15-16. Of course,  what would I know? Maybe it was the depiction of the girl characters as wearing dresses,  which probably was more common when the strip was done,  and them being portrayed a little less than completely sympathetic  at times.  Maybe it was a teenager title sort of freeing itself from the Archie template - It seemed like rather a pre-rock'n'roll era idea of a teenager.  I am aware,  IIRC,  that it was a reprint from years prior to 1971. I wonder how out of date it seemed then - or if it did?

..." Incidia title was THIRTEEN ", I meant!!!!!!!!! This PHONE.

...SUICIDE SQUAD #37 - I bought #38 recently,  bit the LCS did't get #39 in on time.  While waiting for #39 to come in,  I bought #37's finish-up of the previous arc.  Wondering whether to add it to my pull. 

...UUNCLE SCROOGE-incidia title Walt Disney UNCLE SCROOGE,  1980. Whitman.  No ads,  60 cents,  no U PC anywhere. Seemingly completely reprinted from US#21, a 26-page Barks story,  plus four pages Gyro Gearloose and a one-page gag and one-page Mickey/Ferdie text story.

My LCS offers Green Stamps-like points for purchases that can be applied in part to back issue and 2nd-hand book purchases,  with more applicable on special sale days. 

I've recently bought a lot of one-dollar funny stuff back issues,  bagged,  there,  from late 60s into the 80s. The Scrooge banish,  however,  was considerably more than one dollar! Eight,  to be exact.  The Dennis comic had ads on both back covers,  if I did't say that,  the Dell 13 on all but 5he front cover. The Whitman Scrooge had house ads for Super Goof and Daffy Duck! 

“Were they really the same family?”

As 3 has already pointed out, they are not. Scott Shaw wrote the introduction to the first volume of Space Family Robinson and promises to discuss the title change to Lost in Space in the third volume (mine is still in the shrink-wrap at this point).

“…but for confusion the mother's name was June - same as the actress who played the mother (Maureen) on Lost In Space.

Case in point, yesterday I referred to the comic book character’s name as Maureen Robinson when I should have said “June.”

If anyone here is watching Netflix’s new Lost in Space reboot, the character who plays “Dr. Smith” has actually assumed that identity from the real Dr. Smith. The character’s real name is (get this) June Harris (a tribute to both June Lockhart and Jonathan Harris, the actor who played Dr. Smith on the original show). There’s a lot to be said about the reboot, both in comparison to the original and on its own merits. I wish there were more than ten episodes. So far I’m five in.

Last night I read Irwin Allen’s Lost in Space: the Lost Adventures #4-6. The second unproduced script is much more whimsical than the first, but I enjoyed it much more the second time through, in a single sitting, than I did the first.

Emerkeith -- enjoyed your analysis of Thirteen Going on Eighteen. I have exactly one issue of that, so I am awash in ignorance. Less so after reading your post.(On a personal note, I don't know why you're in the hospital, but I know you'll whip it, pal.)

Have also enjoyed the Lost in Space info. I read all the Gold Key issues -- most back in the day, and the ones I missed in the Hermes collections. I never made the Jan and Jace connection, Jeff, but now it's inescapable! All TIm and Tam need is a space monkey. (I remember a dog and a parrot, I think.)

For my part, last night I read:

Justice League of America #29: This is the final issue, and it was about 29 issues too late. I'm not usually at a loss for criticism, but I didn't like this book AT ALL and I'm not sure how to define why. It probably started with Batman ONCE AGAIN assembling a team outside the Justice League, as if there s some plausible need for that. From the Bat Family to Outsiders to JLA, Batman keeps running off to create unnecessary teams because of meta reasons (Batman is popular!), instead of plausible in-story reasons.

But it's more than that. I found all the characterization one-dimensional and hyper-dramatic. Twenty-nine issues in, Atom can still be defined as feeling (and still shouting out loud) "I'm not as good as Ray Palmer!" (Which always results in a speech from Batman, Canary and/or Vixen about how he is.) The conflict Ray had with Batman was so artificial, I wanted to slap him. (And he's gay! And so is the guy who is somehow their mechanic! Who has no back story, motivation or characterization to speak of, except to be there for Ray to explore his feelings! Of which he has many! How trendy!) And so forth. Vixen is insufferably noble and given to speeches. Canary, who in the New 52 is a lounge singer who occasionallygets into fights where she is better than expected, somehow has Batman's respect as if she was the pre-New 52 Black Canary, who was one of the world's best marital artists, a long-time League member and a leader. Here she is constantly playing physical trainer/pep-talk-giver for the troops, as if they have any reason to listen to a lounge singer. Frost is still worried, after 29 issues, that she will return to being a killer (as if the freaking Justice League can't figure out a way to to cure or moderate her "heat sickness" -- but that doesn't happen, because then 100 percent of her "characterization" would evaporate. Whining is all she has!).

I could go on -- I seem to have found my voice -- but this title was such drek to me I couldn't wait for it to be over. I only read it because I was getting review copies and I've been a Justice League fan since "Crisis on Earth-One!" in 1963.

Mera, Queen of Atlantis #3: I have loved Mera since I saw Nick Cardy draw her the first time. (She made the li'l Capn feel all squirmy inside for some reason.) This series is a paint-by-the-numbers plot, with implausible decisions forcing Mera to team up with Orm and go begging for help from Xebel. Ugh. Not in this world or any other. But it's nice seeing 20 consecutive pages of Mera. I think I still might have a bit of a crush.

Aquaman #35: Getting darker, and now Arthur is THE Aquaman. But the reason he's called "The Aquaman" played out nicely in-story, and I'm digging his new status quo. The bad guy is a really, really bad guy, and getting worse. Murk, the tough guy who saved Aquaman's life, has really been handled well. He isn't Arthur's friend in the least -- he saved him because he didn't want to commit regicide, but he was instrumental in de-throning Arthur because he thought he was a lousy king. And now that Arthur refuses to go away, he's more than happy to kill him for real to keep this "weakling" off the throne. But Arthur argues he doesn't want to be king anyway, so Murk (hate the name, btw) may become a reluctant ally. Good characterization! This is barreling toward a resolution, which will probably involve Xebellians coming to the rescue (Boo!) and probably complicating Arthur's relationship with Mera. (Her estranged husband is king of Xebel.) I'm sick of that -- can't we just have the adventures of Aquaman and Mera TOGETHER long enough to get tired of it? But Aquaman itself has been a neat bit of world-building to make it stand on its own as a worthwhile title.

The Terrifics #3: Others here are pretty enthusiastic about this title, but I just don't see it. In this issue, "smartest man in the world" Michael Holt essentially lets himself get buffaloed into working for Simon Stagg. Metamorpho explains to Sapphire why neither of them should be working for Stagg, and the mechanics of why they do, and how to break out of them, but she just boo-hoos and that conversation is over so Metamorpho is still working for Simon Stagg. Bleah. Otherwise, Holt is a jerk, Tinnya is literally a non-presence, and Plastic Man a lightweight jokester. Bored, so far.

"(I remember a dog and a parrot, I think.)"

Good memory! Clancy and Squawk (respectively).

Tying it all together Penny had a pet, Debbie or the Bloop, that was a space monkey/chimp.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"(I remember a dog and a parrot, I think.)"

Good memory! Clancy and Squawk (respectively).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service