Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 62486

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, Luke.

LITTLE ORPHAN ANNIE – JUNE 1928:

Annie is suspicious of a rough-looking guy named “Ruff.” (Gray’s naming convention is not exactly subtle.) Ruff works at the express office, which is soon robbed ad a guard murdered. Annie suspects Ruff due to circumstantial evidence but has no proof. Decides to keep her mouth shut for the time being. A $5000.00 reward is offered, and Annie begins investigating in hope of paying off the house and furniture. There is an abandoned mine outside town, near where the train robbery took place. The sheriff has already investigated, but Annie is not satisfied.

LITTLE ORPHAN ANNIE – JULY 1928:

Annie sees Ruff leaving the mine. She sets a trap and stakes out the mine. Ruff and several other men go into the mine shack, Annie waits then springs her trap. She rigged a rope to cause the ladder to fall. She traps everyone except Ruff, who did not go down. He flees the mine and takes a shot at her, but misses. Annie goes to the sheriff, gets the reward and pays off the house and furniture. For a few days, she basks in the fame of capturing the robbers.

Ruff organizes a jail break, Annie is abducted and taken for a ride. Their plan is to throw her body in the river, but when she mentions “Daddy” Warbucks, they decide to play a ransom game instead. After a few days, they get word that Warbucks is dead. Annie knows her hours are numbered and she makes a break for it. Instead of running downstairs (where they have guards posted), she takes the the roof and escapes that way. She knows the cops are crooked because she overheard some of the men talking. She approaches a man at random and asks for helps. Mr. Gooddeed takes her to his home for a hot meal. Unfortunately, he is on the board of directors of “The Home” and Annie begins the month of August back in Miss Asthma’s care.

LITTLE ORPHAN ANNIE – AUGUST 1928:

Annie is using the “Home” as a hideout from the criminals. She writes three letters, one to the Silos, one to the Flints and one to Mrs. Pewter, but she doesn’t have any stamps. She gives them to Miss Asthma to mail, but she reads them and doesn’t like what Annie says about the “Home.” A few days later, Annie finds the letters in the trash, torn to shreds.

There is a city-wide picnic for all the orphans, but Asthma makes Annie stay behind. Warbucks turns up hearty and hale. He spends several days looking for Annie, and eventually traces her to Mayfair, where the trail goes cold. He does, however, locate Sandy at the Pewters' hou’e Annie bought. Sandy had been depressed, but he’s happy to see Warbucks. Warbucks thinks Sandy will be a big help in his search.

Another neat tidbit about Adventure Comics #323 was that it was the only time Pete Ross and Jimmy Olsen were in the 30th century in the Legion's own feature! And they were integral parts of the main story!

And Superboy has no reaction to Jimmy. At all!

Jeff said:

MAN OF STEEL #5: I thought the art this issue was simply phenomenal.

Aargh! DC skipped me on review copies of Man of Steel #3 and #5. I've written asking for them. Fingers crossed.

Jeff said:

FLASH #49: Who is this Highfather?

I meant to mention this earlier, but Highfather, Orion and all the other New Gods who are dead in Mister Miracle are alive and kickin' in the Green Lantern books. More suggestions that what we're reading in MIster Miracel is some sort of dream, hoax or imaginary story.

Jeff mentioned FRANKENSTEIN ALIVE, ALIVE! #1-4.

I'm looking forward to this. Is there any suggestion that this might be released (possibly bundled with other material) later in a deluxe hardback. Marvel releases the deluxe HC first and then the TPB, but I've found with Dark Horse that it's better to wait for the better package.

Jeff reviewed ADVENTURE COMICS #322 and one other.

I'm enjoying your comments, Jeff, but I'm wondering about Philip Portelli's "Philip re-reads the Legion of Super-Heroes" thread. SHouldn't these comments go there? Or what?

Luke said;

Hamilton's tale "The Man Who Evolved" from Wonder Stories Apr. 1931 was the seminal story in which a character evolves into a far-future man, and - spoiler warning - eventually winds up as protoplasm.

I'm pretty sure that I read a couple of those in PS Artbooks' Pre-Code horror books. I wonder how far back the idea goes?

Cat got your tongue, Cap?

Speaking of Pete Ross... wasn't he made an honorary Legionnaire for the sole reason he kept Superboy's secret? Why, then, did writing Superboy's secret identity on a slate (they still use slates in the 30th century?) "prove" that he had "mental powers"?

In my mind, Pete was made an honorary due to his ingenuity while he pretended to be a Superboy Robot in Superboy #100. While Ultra Boy was shocked to learn that Pete knew Superboy's secret, the other Legionnaires already knew this as Earth history was not Ultra Boy's forte! 

The whole "mental powers" angle was not only for Superboy's benefit, who thought the Legion was humoring Pete, but for Jimmy Olsen's as well. Our Boy Jimbo was there the entire time so they had to keep Superboy's secret from him while keeping Superboy from knowing that Pete knows his secret!

And was Pete's memory of Jimmy erased before he went back to Smallville?

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Speaking of which... wasn't Pete Ross made an honorary Legionnaire because he kept Superboy's secret? Why, then, did writing Superboy's secret identity on a slate (they still use slates in the 30th century?) "prove" that he had "mental powers"?

Incidentally, if any of you have seen the headlines about the New York TImes spoiler, I've already read Batman #50 and Catwoman #1 already. I just can't talk about them. If you have a question about the NYT article, I can probably talk about that.

I am tradewaiting Batman #45-50 (it's already been solicited), but I planned to buy Catwoman #1 this week.

I hadn't heard anthing about a NYT spoiler.

I read it (spoilers be damned).

Can't say I was surprised.

Kinda figured that was likely.

It remains about the journey doesn't it?

I don't know why Amanda Waller appears thin here, because she isn't in her other appearances in the Rebirth DC Universe, most notably Suicide Squad. She was skinny during the New 52.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

FLASH #49: Was filled with “Flash Facts.” Smallville has a population of 45,000? (That’s a bit bigger than I would have thought.) Amanda Waller is thin? (Why? Because she’s thin in the movies, I’ll bet.) Who is this Highfather? Is DC ficin’ to bring back the pre-Flashpoint DCU? I’d be in favor of that.

I just watched Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay. She was skinny in that and it was commented upon in-story. She was also skinny (before dying) on the Arrow TV show.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Speaking of Pete Ross... wasn't he made an honorary Legionnaire for the sole reason he kept Superboy's secret? Why, then, did writing Superboy's secret identity on a slate (they still use slates in the 30th century?) "prove" that he had "mental powers"?

Maybe it was an untranslatable interlac pun. "Identity" is a homophone for "thought", so "secret identity"="hidden thought".

I came across the first and second issues of Prez, the revival of the short-lived DC book from the 1970s in which a teenage kid gets elected president of the United States. The update makes the lead character a teenage girl, Beth Ross.

The story opens with a cabal of senators seeks a puppet they can control to put up for the presidency. Candidates debase themselves to get attention on social media, even though bored teen users barely notice.

Beth Ross establishes a crowdfunding campaign to raise money for her terminally ill -- and uninsured -- father's care, and an underground group of hackers make her a presidential contender. Ross is eligible because a constitutional amendment abolished age limits for office. 

And that took me right out of the story, because the country did that, and still didn't get rid of the Electoral College! As the third contender in the race, Ross, known as "Corndog Girl," makes it possible that none of the candidates win enough states to win outright. So the vote goes to the House of Representatives, and the two top contenders are tied with 24 states each. One state goes to Corndog Girl, and Delaware abstains. So the supporters of each candidate do lots of back-room dealmaking to get electors to switch sides. Oddly, nobody tries to get Delaware to stop abstaining ... but Deleware casts the deciding vote when enough electors switch to Corndog Girl.

Produced as it was in a sunnier, more innocent time -- 2015 -- the satire in this book lands with a thud; it simply is not nearly as zany as what we've been contending with here on Earth Prime.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

The Baron posted a discussion

The World War Two Su[er-Hero I Would Tell If I Could Use Any Characters I wanted

If I could "recruit" whatever characters from whichever comics company I wished and tell any kind…See More
2 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to Cavaliere (moderator emeritus)'s discussion What are you watching right now?
"I've got George Carlin's Class Clown on vinyl. I used to play it incessantly. He actually…"
6 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Yeah, but ... here on Earth-Prime, when they gave us the Smallville TV series, Ma and Pa Kent were…"
6 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion A Capitol Fourth -- Happy Independence Day!
"We ventured out yesterday for this year's rendition of A Capitol Fourth. This was the first…"
7 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"Thanks for the link! I forgot to mention that #78 was guest-written by Bissette (and…"
7 hours ago
Richard Willis posted a video

Paper Girls - Teaser Trailer | Prime Video

It's the day after Halloween in 1988 when four young friends accidentally stumble into an intense time war and find themselves inexplicably transported to th...
7 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"A new interview with Stephen Bissette about his career and new work: INTERVIEW: Stephen Bissette…"
8 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Enuf Supes - here's Archie."
8 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Steve W said: By 1967, DC had reached a continuity crisis. Supes had first hit the newsstands in…"
8 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Cavaliere (moderator emeritus)'s discussion What are you watching right now?
"Another interesting thing is that the series is a period piece set in the 1970s. In the enormous…"
8 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"By 1967, DC had reached a continuity crisis. Supes had first hit the newsstands in 1938, so when DC…"
8 hours ago
The Baron replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion A Smithsonian Book of Comic-Book Comics
"I was always astonished at how many Golden Age characters had comedy sidekicks foisted off on them,…"
9 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service