Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 40635

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Richard Willis said:

Jessica Jones/Alias volume 1. I'm enjoying it and intend to continue with volumes 2 through 4.

Anyone interested in doing what I am doing should be aware that (at this writing) Amazon doesn't carry volume 3 of the original run (Jessica Jones/Alias with the MAX logo). They have a new volume 3 from the later series. I have ordered volume 2 from Amazon and volume 3 from eBay.

Gardner Fox was the creator of both the Golden and Silver Age Hawkmen and kept the same alter egos and basic appearances, 

Just using JLA: TSA Vol.4 which covers #31-41, the Feathered Fury was in #31 (where he joined), #32, #33, #34 (which featured his enemy Chac), #36, #40 and #41 which guest-starred Hawkgirl and had him discover the plot of the Key and learn the entire team's secret identities!

He wasn't in #35 and #39 was a 80-Page Giant reprint issue.

#37-38 featured the Justice Society which included their Hawkman who was in four out of the first five JLA/JSA team-ups. Only Doctor Fate matched that! And the one he wasn't in, the JLA's Hawkman was!

Plus #27 had Matter Master in it but with no Hawkman!

I just finished Batman: Tales of the Demon, an old trade paperback that reprints the early 1970s and '80s Ra's al-Ghul stories from Detective Comics, Batman and DC Special Series #15-- the story where we learn Ra's married off Talia to Batman without his knowledge because the father's and bride's consent are enough. All stories are by Denny O'Neil and art is by Irv Novick, Neal Adams, Mike Golden and Don Newton.

I have the classic Treasury Edition tabloid that reprints the three-part story in Batman #242-244 in which Batman takes the fight to Ra's al-Ghul, plus a prologue in #232. Those are included in Tales of the Demon. Neither includes the epilogue in #245. It really doesn't have much with the Ra's tales, except that at the start of the saga, Batman fakes Bruce Wayne's death to be able to go off on this quest against Ra's -- and in #245, a crooked mayoral candidate in Gotham is claiming the other candidate had Wayne murdered. This issue ties off that loose end.

As for Tales of the Demon, it was fun to see "my" Batman again. Even Denny O'Neil, in the epilogue, notes that Batman here isn't as grim as in the then-current (1991!) run of stories. He is not humorless, and he doesn't go around barking orders to Robin; Robin is a partner here, not a sidekick. Batman gets irritated at lackeys for basically wasting his time. He actually is a detective who actually does some detecting -- although O'Neill admits to a plot hole, where Batman shows up at a hospital to confront the Bronze Tiger when there's no moment shown how he even knows the Tiger is in the hospital, let alone which one or what room he's in. 

This run of stories also introduces Matches Malone, and kills him off just one page later. When I first read this, I didn't understand why Batman needed Malone for this expedition, or why he impersonated Malone for the rest of the story, and I still don't. It's another plot hole. It would be one thing if Batman needed Malone's associates to believe he's still alive, but Batman (and Robin) impersonate Malone in front of people who've never heard of him or met him before. And when the group travels halfway around the world, "Malone" walks off at the airport and out of the story, and nobody even notices.

But that's how these stories are: There's so much action, you don't think about it. In the epilogue, O'Neil says they were just cranking the stories out and hoping to meet their deadlines, and he's a little surprised, and pleased, that they add up to a mostly coherent saga, overall. 

ADVENTURE COMICS #337

The next story is “The Insect Queen of Smallville” from Superboy #124, but because it’s not really a Legion story (but mainly because I find it really disgusting), I’m skipping ahead to “The Weddings that Wrecked the Legion.” Not a hoax! Not a dream! Not an imaginary tale! Well, actually, it is a hoax.
Those sticks the newlyweds are walking under on the cover are “wedding wands,” a tradition on the planet Bgztl. After the ceremony, the bride and groom get to keep them as mementos. Ooh. In order to ferret out a group of spies, the Legionnaires enact “Plan R” (for “robot”) in order to create temporary openings in the roster. (The official who married the Legionnaires on the cover was a robot, the loophole through which the weddings were declared a hoax.) Night Girl and Chlorophyll Kid (plus one other applicant) were rejected for membership once again (but it was a set-up) in order to make room for the traitorous Size Lad, Blackout Boy and Magnetic Kid.

Brainiac 5 is elected leader in this story.

THOR #163: If I’m looking for a little variety in my reading material, Thor is about as different from the LSH as one is likely to get. This issue features Pluto and his mutates. Because Marvel has already redefined the word “mutant” to suit their own purposes, that use the verb “mutate” as a noun meaning what “mutant” actually does mean.

LITTLE ORPHAN ANNIE – DEC 1930: When Spike Marlin is ready to move on, Warbucks gifts him with a sailboat and a house. Annie gives the parrot Deacon to him. “Daddy” gives Annie her checkbook to use as she sees fit for Christmas. She spends the rest of the month preparing to bring Christmas to the poor of the city. Between Christmas and New Year’s, Annie spends the week reflecting on the past year and looking forward.

When IDW began reprinting Little Orphan Annie, I read the first volume plus all of the other LOA material I had at the time, which included several thin volumes of pre-1931 stories published by Pacific Comics Club and three tpb volumes from Fantagraphics. I’ve since gotten rid of that stuff as IDW caught up, but consequently much of what I’ve been reading lately I have read twice before. I recognize the strip from Sunday, January 4, 1931 as the one which began the first of the three Fantagraphic volumes I once owned. The next three years I will have read twice before (once when I initially acquired the volumes, once after IDW published their first volume), but that’s okay. Fantagraphics began their truncated reprint series with 1931 because that’s when many fans feel the series became more sophisticated.

...Tuesday I read:

THE ADVENTURES OF BOB HOPE #100 - dating rom the exact  time period I started buying comics! The house ads show that. I'll try and say more later.

SUICIDE SQUAD #44

Not shown is Superboy whirling his action figure-stick, making "Whoosh" noises!

Apparently formal wear no longer exists in the 30th century!

Now all I can think about is Jose Jalepeno saying "On a stick."

That's "On a steek."

ADVENTURE COMICS #338:

Despite the silly cover scene, this issue’s story is the confrontation with the Time Trapper the Legion has been building toward for months. Then again, the story itself is pretty silly. Glorith of Balduur is introduced, but the Legion end up defeating them by accident. Future stories would reveal the Time Trapper’s fluid secret identity to be as diverse as a Controller, Cosmic Boy, Barbara Gordon or (my personal favorite) the Superboy of Earth-Prime, but that isn’t a consideration here.

LITTLE ORPHAN ANNIE – JAN 1931: “Daddy” hires a tutor for Annie, giving Harold Gray the opportunity to critique modern teaching methods. By the middle of the month, Warbucks is experiencing business setbacks, due partially to the Great Depression (which he insists doesn’t exist) but mostly from weeks of neglect spent searching for Annie while she was shipwrecked.

Warbucks goes to see an old friend, banker Tom Bullion. Warbucks helped him out years ago, but has never called in a favor until now. Bullion frankly tells Warbucks that all he himself needs to do is wait until Warbucks goes bankrupt, then acquire his business for pennies on the dollar. Bullion refuses the loan ad Warbucks beats the crap out of him. By the end of the month, all of Warbucks’ servants have deserted him and his cars have been repossessed.

JACK KIRBY’S MARVEL HEROES & MONSTERS Artist Edition: I recently said I like to think I am selective in which of IDW’s “Artist Editions” I buy. If I am going to buy any at all and I don’t buy Jack Kirby’s Marvel Heroes & Monsters, how selective is that? This volume includes several key superhero from Tales to Astonish (first appearance of Ant-Man), Tales of Suspense (Captain America vs. the Red Skull), Strange Tales (Human Torch vs. the Wizard), Sgt. Fury (“The Fangs of the Desert Fox”) and X-Men (“The return of the Blob”). On the “monsters” side, it includes seven complete monster stories. There is also a gallery section comprising 27 covers and splash pages.

My wife and I are planning on moving next year and the directive has been - "don't buy anymore stuff that we will have to pack and move", but the Kirby book is going to be awfully tough to pass up. It is from the time when art was being produced "twice up" - it is a big book.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

JACK KIRBY’S MARVEL HEROES & MONSTERS Artist Edition: I recently said I like to think I am selective in which of IDW’s “Artist Editions” I buy. If I am going to buy any at all and I don’t buy Jack Kirby’s Marvel Heroes & Monsters, how selective is that? This volume includes several key superhero from Tales to Astonish (first appearance of Ant-Man), Tales of Suspense (Captain America vs. the Red Skull), Strange Tales (Human Torch vs. the Wizard), Sgt. Fury (“The Fangs of the Desert Fox”) and X-Men (“The return of the Blob”). On the “monsters” side, it includes seven complete monster stories. There is also a gallery section comprising 27 covers and splash pages.

"It is from the time when art was being produced "twice up" - it is a big book."

Yes,I forgot to mention that.

It is a thing of beauty.

Adventure Comics #338 was the second of THREE stories that featured Legionnaires turn into toddlers! 

Here's the first: Adventure Comics #317!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service