Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 39712

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ha!! The fact that you consider this to be "behind" is hilarious. (That should give you an idea of how behind I am!)

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Mata Hari #3: This came out in April, to give you an idea how far behind I am. This series is just okay. I think this series would work better if it was told in a linear fashion. 

Big Hard Sex Criminals Vol. 2: Deluxxxe
Matt Fraction, writer; Chip Zdarsky, illustrator
Image Comics, 2018

This is me realizing that I enjoyed the first two Sex Criminals collections, then completely forgot about it. So the second big collection includes issues # 11-20, which covers trade paperbacks volume 3-4. The first arc opens with a new Sex Criminal, an orderly with a manga fixation that creates some really weird effects. Myrtle Spurge (aka "Kegelface," the head of the Sex Police) is having an affair with Jon's psychologist to gather intelligence. Alix is another Miami Sex Criminal, with a thing for falling (first off bridges, then all sorts of other base jumping).

There are also several "meta" sequences, in which Fraction writes about writing: first one where he describes the things he should have Zdarsky draw (but didn't, because the artist is an obsessive nut-job), then a lengthy one with the co-creators on panel discussing the difficulty of writing a scene. For longer than the scene would have taken, I think. Boring to me, despite my love of arty writing. Write the thing, don't write about writing the thing! 

There's also another Sex Criminal with a real fetish, which seems to involve being humiliated. Jon and Suzie try to set goals for their relationship--after deciding that she does not want to keep robbing banks--which eventually results in Suzie taking a library job out of town. Kuber Badal reveals himself as someone who may actually be the one in charge of the Sex Police. So there are some major changes here, enough to open up lots of future possibilities. 

...I read.FUTURE QUEST #5, the recent DEATHSTROKE, and a few-months back GREEN ARROW where he fights the Parasite. (Copies put away for now.)

...Wednesday (it's now early-early Saturday) I read Dynamite's new PROJECT SUPERPOWERS #2 (#1 had been read on an earlier day) and the Daffy Duck/Joker crossover

I didn't realize the DC Villain/Looney Tunes crossovers were happening until after the weekend, at which point the only two I could find were Lex Luthor/Porky Pig and Harley Quinn/Gossamer. I bought them because I really liked Batman/Elmer Fudd and I sort of like Legion of Superheroes/Bugs Bunny (I didn't read the others). These new crossovers left me cold. The artwork was good, but Lex/Porky I found too predictable.  I expected that Harley/Goss would lean heavily towards fan service, but I expected more than just fan service. Partially, I just don't like what they've done with Harley's character since the New 52, (though the concept of a Harley no longer fixated on the Joker is interesting).

My two cents, adjusted for inflation.

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...Wednesday (it's now early-early Saturday) I read Dynamite's new PROJECT SUPERPOWERS #2 (#1 had been read on an earlier day) and the Daffy Duck/Joker crossover

David López's Panel Syndicate eComic BLACKHAND IRONHEAD #5 is described as the "season finale," so hopefully there will be more. It's a satisfying conclusion to the first story arc, full of shocks and surprises, and it leaves the title heroes with big changes to deal with in the next arc.

The series has a distinct Astro City vibe for me, so I would recommend it to the many fans of that series. You can try it out for free!

I liked the Porky Pig/Lex Luthor issue enough, but if that's the best of them, I'm glad that's the only one I bought. I recognized Gossamer on the cover of Gossamer/Harley Quinn, but I have to say that I had never known that was his (?) name.

The Elmer Fudd/Batman issue was fairly brilliant, and the best one I've read of these crossover issues.

Unless you count the Bugs Bunny/Superman miniseries from...Lord knows when. I loved that one!

JD DeLuzio said:

I didn't realize the DC Villain/Looney Tunes crossovers were happening until after the weekend, at which point the only two I could find were Lex Luthor/Porky Pig and Harley Quinn/Gossamer.

Re-reading the manga series Tramps Like Us, which I first told you all about a while back.

I recently had to rearrange my entire basement, thanks to a pinhole in a pipe that surfaced on Thanksgiving Day. That little pinhole led to new carpet in three rooms, the walls being painted, and all the furniture, books and bookshelves moved around to accommodate the work. When I put everything back, I found I was missing the 11th book, so I bought it ... so I had to read it ... so then I started reading the whole series from the beginning.

I misspoke about the opening; it is Sumire who dumps her fiance when she learns he got his other girlfriend pregnant. And Sumire is just as appealing and frustrating in how she deals with Momo and Hasumi, but overall, I'm enjoying the series as much as I did before.

Batman #26 (Dec 1945/Jan 1946) -- Includes "The Year 3000" featuring Brane, the Batman of ... well, you can guess.  

I love this era of Batman -- high adventure, little morality plays, gangsters straight out of Central Casting.  They're like little B-movies.   Chester Morris in "Batman Meets Boston Blackie,"

Black Canary #1-4 (mini-series, 1991)

Sarah Byam and Trevor Von Eeden (with inker Dick Giordano) gave us this miniseries that was a better-than-average crime book. This comic seems a little ahead of its time with its racial message, but right in its time with the radio host's role in the story.

This is a great story, and if you've never read it, it is definitely a worthwhile download on Comixology. I hate that Sarah Byam isn't a bigger name today, and Von Eeden continues to turn in a fantastic piece of work.

Legion of Super-Heroes #1-10: This is from Giffen’s “Five Years Later” series. I don’t think it’s any surprise that I love this series. Looking back, I can see that this was also the introduction of characters such as Celeste Rockfish, Kono, and Laurel Gand (kind of). Laurel is the retconned version of Supergirl, and Lar Gand is the newish version of Superboy. It is easy for me to appreciate the slow rollout of the older versions of these characters, but then again my love for them didn’t come until I read this the first time around. Still, this series shows that Keith Giffen is a master storyteller, both visually and in his writing. This was experimental at the time, even though the "9-panel grid" isn't new. The overlay of the dialog on the pictures is very effective.

Batman #54: By Tom King and Matt Wagner, this was… okay. It was visually pretty nice, even if it would have been better had Wagner’s son Brendan’s work been given to us as originally planned. I had hoped the story would be extra-awesome, but it was just pretty good.

It’s an overview of the Dick Grayson/Bruce Wayne relationship, because of Bruce’s recent wedding crash by Catwoman. Dick is trying to get Bruce to open up about his hurt, but thus far, it’s not really going anywhere. I’m going to guess that it won’t, either, lest Bruce grow as a character.

Throw in some ha-has at the expense of Condiment King and Crazy Quilt, and that’s the issue.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service