Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 39712

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bully Wars #1: From Image, this came from writer Skottie Young and artist Aaron Conley. This was pretty good, but I don’t think I’ll be continuing with it. The art is pretty, and the writing is okay, but in all honesty, it felt like a more self-aware, toned-down “kid” episode of Bob’s Burgers. The characters so far are pretty one-dimensional at best and precious at worst. (The sniveling “bully’s little pal” is especially painful.)

This felt more like an after-school special, and not the edgy Nickelodeon kind--more like an ABC TGIF or Nick Jr. kind.

...LEVIATHAN #2
SNOT GIRL #11
The Lex/Porky crossover - which I liked a lit! More later.

I have this, but haven't read it yet. Looking forward to it.

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...LEVIATHAN #2

Legion of Super-Heroes (5YL) Annual #1: This tells the story of Jo Nah and his initiation and early time in the Legion. It's a pretty tragic story in the end, but it is a section of Legion history that I didn't know about.

The villains in this story are Glorith and Mordru. I have always felt that these two villains, along with the Time Trapper, are just too powerful to be interesting. I thought they had come up with a way to ground these characters a little more, but that didn't last.

The art by Doug Braithwaite was pretty good, equal parts Curt Swan and Colleen Doran in its appearance.

On this rainy Sunday, I reorganized seven boxes of comics. I remember when that used to be fun!

But I did pull out the complete runs of Batman: White Knight and Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles and all issues of the new Green Hornet and X-Men Red so let's see how they hold up on the whole!

I'm looking forward to reading this one again soon, as I've just read a couple of the stories dealing with the death of Jo's ex-girlfriend An Ryd in the Superboy & the Legion of Superheroes hardcovers. I'd like to read LSH Annual volume one with those books somewhat fresh in my mind.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

Legion of Super-Heroes (5YL) Annual #1: This tells the story of Jo Nah and his initiation and early time in the Legion. It's a pretty tragic story in the end, but it is a section of Legion history that I didn't know about.

The villains in this story are Glorith and Mordru. I have always felt that these two villains, along with the Time Trapper, are just too powerful to be interesting. I thought they had come up with a way to ground these characters a little more, but that didn't last.

The art by Doug Braithwaite was pretty good, equal parts Curt Swan and Colleen Doran in its appearance.

...An Ryd? That"s awfully close to Ayn Rand!!!!!!!!!!! Was Steve Ditko on the book at this time? Even "Jo Nah " sounds awfully close to the kind of names Steve Ditko would give his characters in his self-written stories!

I think she was named for Ayn Rand (for no reason I could discern), but the story where she was created (in S&LSH 239) was written and drawn by Jim Starlin, several years before Ditko's run on the book. 

When I read that annual, I noticed that too. And then I realized that Ayn Rand itself sounds very much like a Legionnaire's real name already.

Princess Objectiva?

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

When I read that annual, I noticed that too. And then I realized that Ayn Rand itself sounds very much like a Legionnaire's real name already.

Ha! I was just thinking Objectivist Lass, but I think I like Princess Objectiva better.

The Baron said:

Princess Objectiva?

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

When I read that annual, I noticed that too. And then I realized that Ayn Rand itself sounds very much like a Legionnaire's real name already.

And Fountainhead would be a great ('90s) Substitute Legionnaire.


Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

Ha! I was just thinking Objectivist Lass, but I think I like Princess Objectiva better.

The Baron said:

Princess Objectiva?

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

When I read that annual, I noticed that too. And then I realized that Ayn Rand itself sounds very much like a Legionnaire's real name already.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service