Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 52152

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I borrowed Superman: Red Son from the library the other day.

I was well and truly entertained, as the book went beyond its gimmicky premise -- baby Kal-El's rocket lands in Communist Russia in the 1930s instead of the American Heartland -- to give not just an alternate DC Universe history but an alternate world history, too. Better yet, some of the best gems were doled out in almost offhand ways. (Richard Nixon wins the 1960 presidential election and is assassinated in Dallas? John F. Kennedy later become the President, married to Marilyn Monroe? Lovely.)

I read it over and over again, and I still don't think I picked up on everything; it wasn't until the third time around that I realized "Pyotr Roslov" was our Pete Ross. I couldn't help but spot the very subtle nods to the covers of Action Comics #1, Superman #1 and Detective Comics #27.

About the only thing that threw me as being far too comic-booky was when Lex Luthor was elected President, and within months magically transforms the national economy. As is painfully true here on Earth-Prime, it just ain't that easy.

Still, I loved this take on the Superman/Luthor rivalry. And that twist ending on the last page, when we learn just where baby Kal-El's rocket came from ... and where it was sent -- priceless.

I just finished The Long Haul, an original graphic novel from Oni Press. Set in 1871, the story focuses on one Cody Plummer, a bank robber by trade who has spent five years as a guest of the state in Utah. Now he's in Chicago, rubbing elbows with the elite -- although the Pinkerton agent who sent him away keeps showing up just to warn people away from him. One such friend, a financier, is unperturbed: "Plummer, I deal in loans and investments. I'd take a bank robber over a banker any day. Now let me buy you a drink before the show starts, and that be the end of it."

This friend gives Plummer a tip: A train carrying $1.9 million in government bonds is soon to head from Chicago to San Francisco. The money is in an unbreachable rail car, in an impregnable safe, and the Pinkerton man is the head of the security detail, his last duty before he retires. So of course Plummer sets out to rob it. He finds a backer and puts together a crew -- most of whom think he died because they haven't seen him in seven years -- and works out a scam that's very much like a cowboy version of Ocean's Eleven.  

It's a fun read, with sharp dialogue by Antony Johnston and gorgeous art by Eduardo Barretto, who excels at the period detail, and, unlike many artists, really knows how to draw for black and white. It was much like reading a movie, right down to the "where are they now" bits at the end telling us of each cast member's fate. 

I remember that one, Clark. A great read, and a book that is right up my alley.
So that's two recommendations.  I'll have to look out for this.  I usually like Oni's stuff anyway, but this one sounds especially fun.

Travis Herrick said:
I remember that one, Clark. A great read, and a book that is right up my alley.
I read Green Lantern/Plastic Man: Weapons of Mass Deception. Written by Marv Wolfman and drawn by Brent Anderson, it's nothing special. It must have been a fill-in issue of Green Lantern or Brave and the Bold. I'd recommend it only for the Green Lantern or Plastic Man completist. For a summary, Hal Jordan doesn't think much of Plastic Man as a fellow member of the JLA. Of course, by the end, Jordan comes to appreciate Plastic Man's way of doing things.
Firestorm #4-6 (from 1982).  I'm having a lot of fun reading these.
Went on a bit of a tear yesterday; I read Gotham City Sirens: Union (collecting issues 1-7 of that series), Cinderella: From Fabletown with Love, X-Men Legacy: Emplate (collecting Annual #1 and issues 228-230), and X-Men and Spider-Man (collecting the four-issue series by Chris Gage and Mario Alberti). Though not all of equal quality, all were fun reads.
And now issues 7-9.  I'm thinking I might want to write an article about Firestorm, though it probably won't show up until some time in January.

Chris Fluit said:
Firestorm #4-6 (from 1982).  I'm having a lot of fun reading these.

Not very Christmas-y I guess, but I started Locke & Key: Crown Of Shadows.  The lore of the keys keeps growing, and I'm enjoying getting to know the characters better.  I'm struck by the boldness of portraying the mother as a depressive self-medicating with alcohol.  A realistic choice, and not an attractive one.

Also started the second Vertigo Jonah Hex miniseries: Riders of the Worm and Such.  Once again, a gritty Western with some really inventive elements.  In this case, huge carnivorous underground worms, and the Wilde West Ranch and Music and Culture Emporium.  I'm just glad I can't actually hear the awful songs those cowboys are singing.

Spider-man: The Newspaper Strips vol. 1. I'm in the middle of a story where Dr. Doom visits the U.N. and it's up to Spidey to stop him from taking control. Fun stuff with the story by Stan Lee and art by John Romita.
Uncanny X-Men #354-355 and X-Men #74-75.  I had a lot of fun reading these, especially the double-sized 75th issue.  I had forgotten how good it was.  The new team really comes together in this one.

I've been reading an old standard-size paperback collection of Flash Gordon daily strips, The Amazing Adventures of Flash Gordon vol. 3. This contains B&W reprints of Dan Barry Sunday stories from 1971. The stories are pretty tepid, but the art is really very good. There's a particularly well-drawn sequence where Flash and Dale are stuck on a dying planet.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service