Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 55936

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

“I have only a scattering of back issues, so have yet to read the full series in depth.”

Back in the ‘90s, I responded to an ad in CBG placed by a dealer selling complete series sets. I chose Tomb of Dracula, but by the time he received my order, someone else had bought it. He contacted me and gave me the choice of him returning my check or ordering something else. I chose Master of Kung Fu, which I’ve now owned for 20 years but still haven’t read.

“Truthfully, I was surprised to find Volume 1 to begin with, because I heard there was (allegedly) some issues regarding the Sax Rohmer character(s) that was keeping Marvel from reprinting the series.”

I had hear that, too. It rings true, but perhaps some sort of agreement has been reached. In any case, this is one gift horse I’m not looking in the mouth.

“But you wouldn't happen to know why Marvel (so far) hasn't including any of the Shang-Chi stories from the Deadly Hands of Kung-Fu black and white magazine, would you?”

No clue. Perhaps they are planned for later volumes so as not to disrupt the issue-to-issue continuity…? For example, Giant-Size Spider-Man issues and annuals were not included in Spider-Man Masterworks, yet they did turn up in Marvel team-Up Masterworks. There was a MOKF “omnibus” edition a while ago. Perhaps the issue contained therein would provide a clue.

MOKF Epic collection volume two reprints Issues #29-53 and Annual #1, BTW.

MONSTERS, v2: I read volume one of this Lee/Kirby omnibus two summers ago and did a pretty good job timing my completion of the collection to coincide with the release of volume two in August 2017. But when the volume was released, my interests turned elsewhere. Now that I am watching the Ultraman TV show and reading the Ultraman manga, my interests have again turned toward reading Monsters omnibus volume two. So far I have read “We Were trapped in the Twilight World!” and “Doctor Droom Meets Zemu!” from Amazing Adventures #5, and “The Return of… Grogg!” from Stranhge Tales #87. It is my intention to complete this volume in time for the Lee/Ditko omnibus Suspense in August.

MARVEL MASTERWORKS – DAREDEVIL – VOL. 8: This volume is mostly Gerry Conway/Gene Colan. It comprises issues #75-84, but also the Black Widow’s solo series (from Amazing Adventures #1-8) as well. Masterworks editor Cory Sedlmeir puts these volumes together that same way I would if I were in charge. As a matter of fact, I collected these two series as backissues concurrently, and would have read them in this order, anyway (I also have an Amazing Adventures “Black Widow” Premier Hardcover edition) if Sedlmeir hadn’t beat me to it.

The Widow’s solo series was somewhat uneven, the best chapter being issue #5, reprinted in the Giant Super-Hero Holiday Grab-Bag treasury edition, which is where I first read it. As much as I appreciated Gene Colan’s “shower scene” in 1974, I appreciated the unretouched photostat copy today.

In issue #76, Gene Colan was paired with his best (IMO) inker: Tom Palmer.

I acquired Daredevil #77 (the first part of a crossover with Sub-Mariner guest-starring Spider-Man) as a backissue right around the same time as the Giant Super-Hero Holiday Grab-Bag TE, and I liked it so much I vowed not to read it again until I had acquired Sub-Mariner #40. By the time I did and read both together, I didn’t care for it as much. A few years ago, I read it once again in the context of a Sub-Mariner reading project. Now, reading it in the context of the Daredevil series, I like it again. It really has little to do with the issues immediately before or after, and not a whole lot happens other than to set up Sub-Mariner #40. It serves its purpose as a standalone lead-in, though.

I may have been Frank Miller’s use of the Black Widow in Daredevil which led me to seek out backissues of her solo series in Amazing Adventures, but it was definitely Amazing Adventures #1-8 which led me to Daredevil #81 (#80, actually, as I backed up an issue to get the beginning of the story). Tom Palmer inking of Gene Colan in #80 blew me away, but it would be a few issues yet before they were teamed up on a more permanent basis.

Speaking of “team-ups,” Daredevil & The Black Widow would soon become one of several Marvel “team-up” titles to come out of the ‘70s, including Captain America & The Falcon and Powerman & Iron Fist. The Black Widow entered the plot suddenly and unexpectedly in #80 and immediately became a regular supporting character, then co-star of the book. Also coming aboard in #80 was Jack Abel as inker. I think Tom Palmer is Gene Colan’s best inker, but I also think Jack Abel enhances any pencils he embellishes, so he was a welcome (if temporary) addition.

Also worth mentioning is the pencil/ink team of Alan Weiss and Bill Everett in #83, and the re-teaming of Colan with his mentor Syd Shores in #84.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Tom Palmer inking of Gene Colan in #80 blew me away,

Tom Palmer was Gene Colon's inker in almost all issues of Tomb of Dracula. The art was a joy in that book, too.

"Strongly agree."

MONSTERS, v2: “Colossus Lives Again!” was a seminal story for me. Originally presented in Tales of Suspense #20, I first encountered it in Monsters on the Prowl #25. I was delighted when “It, the Living Colossus” spun off into a short-lived series in Astonishing Tales #21-24. Eventually I acquired the first appearance of Colossus (TOS #14, reprinted in MOTP #17), but the first story was quite formulaic: alien crab-creatures inhabit a giant statue. It was the sequel which introduced the characters and concepts which would carry it to its own series. Colossus has appeared from time-to-time over the years. I, for one, would be happy if Marvel were to collect all of Colossus’s appearances under a single cover.

The It, the Living Colossus series had a very Silver Age vibe to it and may have been more successful in that era as a strange Hulk/Giant-Man mash-up.

My sentimental favorite short-lived rock monster was the Golem. Too bad the two never met!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"Strongly agree."

MONSTERS, v2: “Colossus Lives Again!” was a seminal story for me. Originally presented in Tales of Suspense #20, I first encountered it in Monsters on the Prowl #25. I was delighted when “It, the Living Colossus” spun off into a short-lived series in Astonishing Tales #21-24. Eventually I acquired the first appearance of Colossus (TOS #14, reprinted in MOTP #17), but the first story was quite formulaic: alien crab-creatures inhabit a giant statue. It was the sequel which introduced the characters and concepts which would carry it to its own series. Colossus has appeared from time-to-time over the years. I, for one, would be happy if Marvel were to collect all of Colossus’s appearances under a single cover.

SECOND COMING: I have been atheist since the day I was born, but if AHOY! Comics keeps publishing comics like this one and High Heaven, I just might become a convert. Not really, but Second Coming is the most thought-provoking comic of 2019.

GIANT-SIZE X-STATIX #1: It’s hard to believe is been 20 years since this team debuted in X-Force #116. In an interesting trick of comic book time, X-Statix has been disbanded in the MU for the same amount of time as they have in real time. It was an exciting time for Marvel’s mutants when this team debuted alongside Morrison’s New X-Men, and now with the X-titles scheduled to undergo another major revamp soon, Milligan and Allred will be bring back X-Statix as an ongoing series next year.

That Roy Thomas/ Jerry Ordway Captain America & the Invaders one-shot is an absolute joy!  Now if only they could do it again with the All-Star Squadron!

(With cameos from Carl Burgos, Bill Everett, and Jack Kirby!)

Are there enough "It, the Living Colossus" stories for a collection? I wonder about "The Living Mummy" as well. But I don't wonder enough to look them up.

If only we could get It, the Living Omnibus!

What a coincidence. The X-titles being reemphasized after the X-Men movie rights went back to Marvel.

Corporations gonna corp!

Richard Willis said:

What a coincidence. The X-titles being reemphasized after the X-Men movie rights went back to Marvel.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service