Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 46827

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

MMW DAREDEVIL V9: This volume (reprinting #85-96) is all Gerry Conway and Gene Colan. Also, Tom Palmer inked 10 of the 12 issues.) I hadn’t recalled that Karen Page hung around so long (in the series) after she left Nelson & Murdock for Hollywood. Knowing what will happen later casts her manager in an entirely different light. It wasn’t intended, but it certainly can be read that way. In addition to teaming up with the Black Widow, the stories in this volume are remembered for moving Daredevil to San Francisco. Among the villains are Electro (with a new mask which never made it to the cover), Killgrave, the Gladiator, Ox, Man-Bull and the third Mr. Fear.

SQUADRON SUPREME: I read the entire 2015-16 series to complement the “Invaders” discussion.

MASTER OF KUNG FU: I’m still working my way through the first volume for the second time. Jack Abel inks Paul Gulacy in some of these stories. I’ve read Abel-inked backissues three times in the past few weeks: MoKF, Daredevil and Avengers. Synchronicity!

MONSTERS, v2: I haven’t mentioned it since I looked at volume one, but all of the stories in these volumes are ordered by assignment number, so they are presented in the order they were commissioned, not necessarily the order they were printed.

ULTRAMAN: I’m up to volume five of the manga.

SQUADRON SUPREME (2015) #1: “Lo, there came a time when realities fell…” states the intro page of Squadron Supreme #1, against the backdrop of a planet exploding and the caption “8 MONTHS LATER.” I thought that was a reference to the recent Secret Wars mini-seriees, but after spending some time on Wikipedia, I’m not so sure. Issue #1 begins in medias res with no footnote, no editorial introduction, no nuthin’… a deficit AFAIAC. At the end of the issue, where there should be introductory editorial material, there’s a full page panel of the next issue’s cover and the smarmy caption “Do you want to know what happens next?” No, butt-munch. I want to know what happened first. If anyone knows, please fill me in (in 25 words or less) or just direct me to the source of the exploding planet.

From what I remember, this Squad was composed of survivors of various worlds that were destroyed in the Incursion Event that led to Secret Wars. 

Oh... the trade collection for this series starts off with Avengers #0 from 2015 so some of the context you're looking for might be provided in that story.  (Although I can't guarantee it)

That sounds familiar, actually.

Detective 445 said:

From what I remember, this Squad was composed of survivors of various worlds that were destroyed in the Incursion Event that led to Secret Wars. 

Oh... the trade collection for this series starts off with Avengers #0 from 2015 so some of the context you're looking for might be provided in that story.  (Although I can't guarantee it)

Thanks, guys.

Okay, “the Incursion Event that led to Secret Wars.” According to Wikipedia: “Although they are forced to destroy the other Earth to protect their own, the Illuminati resolve to continue protecting their Earth from such events, only for Namor to detonate an anti-matter device to destroy another Earth when the others could not bring themselves to do it” with a footnote referencing New Avengers v3 #21 (September 2014). That sounds like it: issue #21 of the 2013 series of New Avengers. I previously assumed it happened in Secret Wars.

I generally find Wikipedia a useful tool for identifying sources. What I find confusing is Marvel’s penchant for constantly restarting series with “new number ones.” I refer to a multi-issue story as a storyline, whereas most companies and fans call that a story arc. I consider a story arc to comprise several individual storylines which contribute to a common theme. Whenever Marvel restarts a series at #1 after only a year or two, that’s what I refer to as an arc.

But I digress.

I’ll check tomorrow to see if my LCS has New Avengers v3 #21 in stock.

I spoke about Namor's crimes here!

And given the events of the current Avengers and Invaders, history is repeating itself!

“Are there enough "It, the Living Colossus" stories for a collection?”

Sure.

“I wonder… But I don't wonder enough to look them up.”

No problem. I’ve gotcha covered.

Tales of Suspense #14
Tales of Suspense #20
Astonishing Tales #21-24
The Incredible Hulk #244
Wonderman Annual #2
Marvel Comics Presents #169
Avengers Two: Wonder Man & the Beast #2-3

There were the two initial Lee/Kirby appearances, followed by the Isabella/Ayers run. Then “It” was pounded to dust by Stephen Grant and Carmine Infantino. But that didn't stop Colussus from appearing after that in the remaining four comics listed above. There are other more recent appearances as well, but those are the ones I was thinking of and the only ones I’m interested in.

“I spoke about Namor's crimes here!”

Ah, yes. I remember seeing that thread. I was tangentially aware of these events while they were happening but, to be honest, because Namor’s genocide doesn’t fit in my personal canon (a.k.a. “Earth-J”), I avoided the discussion. But Namor is one of my all-time favorite characters, and my interest has circled back around due to the current Invaders series. To tell the truth, I am ambivalent about letting these events stand vs. pressing the reset button yet again.

Re: Walking Dead 193.

I take Kirkman at his word. He says he had ideas he could have used to extend the story, but none of them were the sort of ideas that would make it worth extending the story for. The ideas he had didn't earn their place. I think that's different than "running out of ideas"...but it's also a different reason than cutting the book to spend more time with the TV show. If his time with the TV show was so important, he wouldn't have introduced Oblivion Song and Die Die Die in the past few years, and he'd probably be cutting one of those instead.

In his letter, he alludes to not wanting to take up more of Charlie Adlard's time if the story didn't warrant it. Adlard is likely gearing up for a great post-Walking Dead career, as the artist of one of the most popular modern comics ever. I think, more than anything else, he probably wants to let Adlard branch out creatively; Kirkman has had many creative outlets over this last decade; Adlard's pretty much only had the one. 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

What I find confusing is Marvel’s penchant for constantly restarting series with “new number ones.”

I wish they would just start calling all of their books mini or maxi series since they obviously have no intention of continuing with the numbering.

“If his time with the TV show was so important, he wouldn't have introduced Oblivion Song and Die Die Die in the past few years, and he'd probably be cutting one of those instead.”

You’re probably right. Regarding this point, though, I have often wondered in the past about rock musicians who are part of groups but also have solo careers. One of them is working on a song and expects it to be a hit. Does he give it to the group or keep it for himself? He could have chosen to drop TWD rather than one of those other titles simply because the comic and the TV show were just too similar.

“I wish they would just start calling all of their books mini or maxi series since they obviously have no intention of continuing with the numbering.”

[Quoting Marvel’s Company Line]: “Marvel doesn’t publish limited series!”

For songwriting, it might be wrapped up in how a songwriter wants the song to sound. A lot of the money is in the publishing rights, rather than the recording, so if they have sole songwriting credit, they're already getting the lion's share of the money if the song has legs. And the best way to ensure it has legs is to give it the best launching pad, whether that be the band's sound, the solo artist's sound, or another singer altogether (as Prince often did).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service