Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 48612

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for posting the Popeye CBR article, CK. I was totally unaware of this.

"Here's hoping Olivia Jaimes has better support from her syndicate than London did."

I gather she has syndicate support (a good editor), but she certainly has a lot of detractors, too. One of the strips, a four-panel look at "things to come" in the strip, illustrates things specifically designed to p*ss off her detractors. For example, Aunt Fritzi had been drawn by the previous cartoonist as being extrememly sexy, but Jaimes put her in a parka. Also, Jaimes includes lots of electronic media as subject matter, which p*sses many people off. It is also the strip where the meme "Sluggo is lit!" comes from. I've read about half of the collection so far, and I must admit I don't get all the jokes. I really appreciate what she's doing, though. The comparison to Bobby London's Popeye is an apt one.

LSH: MILLENNIUM #2: I liked it more than I did the first issue, but it doesn’t strike me as “essential” to the new upcoming ongoing series.

LOIS LANE #4: Surprisingly, another LSH lead-in. [Possible SPOILER] We learn (well, I learned) who the “Superboy” of the new Legion series is to be. [END SPOILER]

GREEN LANTERN #12: The last issue of the series, at least for the time being. I didn’t understand it. I’m not sure if I’ll read the following Darkstars series. I’ll probably give the first issue a try.

IMMORTAL HULK #24: Hulk takes over Shadow Base, setting up a chain of events which illustrate just how “immortal” he really is. Talk about “The End”!

MARVEL COMICS #1001: Quite obviously, this issue is made up of pages rejected from #1000, most of them justifiably so. Like #1000, because each page tells an entire “story” (no “decompressed” storytelling here), it takes a while to read. It costs five bucks. BOTTOM LINE: Don’t waste your time or your money.

THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT #2: I enjoyed the second part of this 40-year-old movie adaptation, but for eight bucks (two issues @ $3.99) I would have enjoyed it more if it had been a single issue, preferably its original magazine size.

As mentioned in another board thread here, I'm no longer reading the Nancy comic strip. Not because of whoever Olivia Jaimes is (and I had no idea at the time the name even was a pseudonym), but only because I personally dislike the new direction. The title character seems (to me) to have an attitude she didn't have before, which just personally rubs me the wrong way.

I'm also not reading the new, daily version of Alley Oop for the same reason: not liking the new direction. In this case, Jonathan Lemon and Joey Alison Sayers have turned it into a gag a day comic. Granted, the previous version by The Benders was a comedic adventure, but not to the point of trying to force a laugh in every installment.

However, I do like the Lemon-Sayers' efforts on the Sunday only Little Oop episodes. The previous version of Sunday strips was in the traditional "recap the past week while setting the stage for the coming week" format.

Then again, all of the above is just my own views on the subject(s) at hand.

“I'm no longer reading the Nancy comic strip… because I personally dislike the new direction.”

Fair enough.

“The title character seems (to me) to have an attitude she didn't have before…”

You’re definitely right about that. (I meant to say something about it earlier but forgot.) In an interview reprinted in the collection, Jaimes herself makes mention of it. But it depends on how far back you want to go when you say “before.” Nancy certainly hasn’t had that attitude for years… perhaps decades. But Jaimes has restored her attitude of the very earliest days of the strip under Bushmiller. (I have read all all three of the recent collections of Bushmiller’s peak years and I can attest that Nancy did have an attitude in the ‘40s.) This generally rubs fans of Gilchrest (the cartoonist just prior to Jaimes, whose name I couldn’t recall earlier) the wrong way.

To Jeff, et al.

I agree with you that Nancy under Ernie Bushmiller did have an attitude too, but it wasn't as bad then as it is now, from my perspective/opinion.

Since Go Comics carries both the Bushmiller classics as well as the Jaimes current version, I can see both side by side, as well as a lot of other strips that my local newspaper doesn't carry.

Richard Willis said:

Thanks for posting the Popeye CBR article, CK. I was totally unaware of this.

Years ago, while making my rounds of used book stores and such places, I acquired Mondo Popeye, the first (and for many years, only) collection of the Bobby London Popeye. It's one of those books you read and re-read until it falls apart. I'm happy to see there's a new, fuller collection, Popeye: The Classic Newspaper Comics Vol. 1: 1986-1989, from IDW and the Library of American Comics. 

What London did with Popeye was clever and fascinating. I often wished somebody would dare to let him loose on Blondie, although I know that would NEVER happen.

What got him bounced was a series of strips in which Olive Oyl become addicted to buying stuff she doesn't need from the Home Shopping Network that somehow swerved into a priest thinking Popeye got her pregnant. The syndicate killed the strips, but they are all posted here. (You have to open the thumbnails on their own page and enlarge them.)

As for Nancy, what Olivia Jaimes is doing doesn't knock my socks off, but on the other hand, I'm not against it.

If Jaimes has brought back the attitude Nancy the character used to have, that's to the good. Before the Guy Gilchrist run on the strip, it was written and drawn by Jerry Scott, co-writer and artist of Baby Blues and writer of Zits. Scott's version of Nancy didn't resemble the Ernie Bushmiller style and, frankly, was terrible. (But then, I don't think any of the artists who followed Bushmiller draw as well as he does.)

"I'm happy to see there's a new, fuller collection, Popeye: The Classic Newspaper Comics Vol. 1: 1986-1989, from IDW and the Library of American Comics."

Two volumes of London's work have been published by IDW. (I own them both.) The second has the controversial strips that got him fired. (Actually, they're about as "controversial" as an episode of Three's Company.)

MAN-WOLF: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION: There is an old MAD cartoon from Dave Berg’s “Lighter Side” (it may have been from “The Lighter Side of Hobbies”) in which a father watches his son assembly a plastic model kit and tells him that in his day, they had to buy a set of plans, then a supply of balsa wood and cut the pieces themselves before assembling them. The kid says, “And I guess now you're going to tell me those were ‘the good old days,’” to which the father replies, “Hell, no! These are the good old days!”

Man-Wolf is one of those characters I collected in backissues when I was in college. Giant-Size Super-Heroes (his third appearance) was one of my earliest comics. Years later, I read the first two appearances of Man-Wolf, reprinted in Marvel Tales, also as backissues. Shortly after that, I began acquiring his series in Creatures on the Loose. That story has an interesting pedigree. It started out as a standard ‘70s-era Marvel monster mag, but at one point made a hard shift, quite unexpectedly, into science fantasy.

From there, the character’s story was brought to a close in such diverse titles as Marvel Premiere, Marvel Team-Up, She-Hulk and Spectacular Spider-Man Annual. I tracked these down issue by issue and have them sorted into the same slot in my “Marvel monsters” longbox, but now Marvel has assembled the entire arc in one handy tpb. Hell, yeah! These are the good old days!

When Marvel stuck its smallest toe into faux-horror with Man-Wolf and Morbius I was not happy. If they waited a little longer they could have used actual werewolves and vampires.

THE WALKING DEAD v15 (#169-180): I read these issues once before but I wanted to read them once again before I read the final volume, the last, because HC v15 is a good jumping on point. I can hardly wait until the television show catches up to the “Commonwealth” storyline. After that, it’s “virgin territory” and I’m looking forward to that, too. This volume introduces Juanita Sanchez, better known as “Princess.” Princess is divisive among fans; they either loathe her or love her. Me, I love her, but my wife stopped reading the previous volume because she was so turned off by the character.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service