Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 52778

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Tumor by Joshua Hale Fialkov and Noel Tuazan. It seems like Captain Comic recommended this somewhere which was a plus, also Mr. Fialkov was at Wizard World Austin when I attended and they had some for sale there, so sold!

A really good book about a PI who has been hired by a drug kingpin to find his daughter. He also discovers he is suffering from and inoperable brain tumor, and and doesn't have long to live. The story is told in a non-linear fashion, and also has his own past memories missing with him in the present, so time is all over the place. Highly recommended, especially for fans of crime comics.

Finished Captain America: Prisoner of War TPB. This book contained everything I love about the MU! We get to see the foreign, seedier side. We get a guest shot by Ursa Major, a former Crimson Dynamo and a Russian Super Soldier. A riveting thriller of a story and Steve's internal struggle of whether he really wants to wear the mantle of Cap America again! Great stuff!

The stories that were originally shown in the 70th ann. issue (616) are also here. Most of them very good!

To The Heart of the Storm by Will Eisner. Even Eisner calls this a thinly-veiled autobiography of a man who is on his was to boot camp during WWII, and then gets lost in the thoughts of his family, and dealing with a lot of antisemitism. A really good book that I just couldn't put down. I did find it it interesting that Willie's face in the "present" is almost always in shadow.

Started Sweet Tooth Vol. 5: Unnatural Habits. There was a major cliffhanger at the end of the previous volume, so it was an odd time for an interlude from the main story. But the first three issues collect "The Taxidermist," a historical tale set in Alaska which was illustrated by Matt Kindt (in his notes to The Underwater Welder Lemire thanks Kindt for helping him to get the time to complete that story). Kindt's style complements Lemire's nicely, and the story ends up being much more relevant than it first appeared.

Also read half of Vertigo Pop! Bangkok, which was again written by Jonathan Vankin, illustrated this time by Giuseppe Camuncoli & Shawn Martinbrough. This story is so much darker than the other two that it's hard to see them fitting under the same banner Pop! title. It involves an American tourist couple that becomes embroiled with the Bangkok sex trade.

Finally getting to the most recent Casanova collection, Casanova Vol. 3: Avaritia. Man, this comic is crazy. I have to assume that Matt Fraction's mainstream Marvel writing isn't much like this: this is where he gets to just let his imagination off the leash. Gabriel Ba seems to be having a blast as well. Decided to take a break from the Vertigo miniseries tour this week, so I dipped into the IDW Steve Niles Omnibus I picked up at Heroes this year. The first story is a three-parter entitled Aleister Arcane. I like the artist on it, Breehn Burns. I don't remember seeing his work before.

I'm really liking New Crusaders from Archie. It could have been the standard "Next Generation of Heroes" origin but there are some neat twists. I'm shocked but happy that the 60s Mighty Crusaders (including Pow Girl) and the 80s Mighty Crusaders (including Darkling, Dr. Reeves and the cigar-smoking Black Hood) are STILL in continuity!

The Original Shield is still active but looking his age, Roy the Super-boy and Dusty the Boy Detective are sidekicks that SURVIVED to maturity and there's a talking ape!

Plus they allude to the Fly without mentioning the Fly!

They also don't mention Lancelot Strong the (Archie) Shield II at all. I wonder why?

I just read an old Wonder Woman -- issue 204, I believe -- in which she finally discovers that Nubia is her sister, made from *dark* clay, kidnapped by Mars soon after their magical birth. But even with all that, the strangest moment in the issue had to be in an unrelated plotline at the beginning of the issue, when a group of guys starts to cause trouble for protesters outside the U.N, because "Protesting the United Nations is un-American!" Times, they have changed.

(I also read JLA 200, the big artist jam issue, and it was wonderful. Really, just about a perfect comic.

IIRC, the protesters were all women who beat up the men!

Nubia was supposed to bring diversity to the Bronze Age DCU by being their first Black Female Super-Hero but she faded away very quickly, making cameoes in Supergirl and Super Friends.

We never really saw what the protest was about, but I'm pretty sure it was the women that were protesting. (But yeah, the women trounced them.) It was definitely the guys who said it was un-American to protest. 

I just wrapped up The Homeland Directive by Robert Venditti and Mike Huddleston and it was fantastic. The US government has started the spread if a disease on its own people.The how and the why is the crux of the story so I won't spoil that here. A doctor who works for the CDC could spoil their plans so they are now on the hunt for her. Now she is on the run trying to stay alive and figure out is going on. She gets quite a bit of help from some unexpected sources. A dynamite book.

I'm glad to hear that -- I'm looking forward to Venditti's run on Demon Knights. I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

I got it from Top Shelf directly when they had their annual sale about 2 months back or so, and it was only like 5 bucks or so. That might be the way to go.

Rob Staeger said:

I'm glad to hear that -- I'm looking forward to Venditti's run on Demon Knights. I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service