Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers #1, which was really good ("There will be no eating of teammates."), and G.I. Joe: Cobra #1-3. People who know me know that I don't just pick up and read a G.I. Joe comic. I've never been into them, and I was never even into the toys, really. But the guys on iFanboy really recommended this book, saying it doesn't feel like a Joe book at all. And it really doesn't. It's a lot more like a Queen and Country story. One of the guys (in the Hawaiian shirt) goes undercover, and it's an extremely good spy story so far. Cobra nor G.I. Joe (I believe) have never been mentioned in this book, but some of the characters have. VERY highly recommended!

Views: 27943

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lone Wolf and Cub #28 last night, finishing up the complete run.
Chris Fluit said:
Lone Wolf and Cub #28 last night, finishing up the complete run.

Someday I would like to re-read the whole series. To many other "never read" to get to first though

If the Humane Society on the north side of Indy wasn't so spread out...it would probably be six stories, at least. And c'mon, there is a HUGE animal hotel in Fishers fer heaven's sake!

Okay, I can give you that, I'll admit it. But does every single building in Gotham City have to look like a freakin' haunted house?! It looks like a Tim Burton set, not an actual place where anyone could be.
JeffCarter said:

If the Humane Society on the north side of Indy wasn't so spread out...it would probably be six stories, at least. And c'mon, there is a HUGE animal hotel in Fishers fer heaven's sake!

Okay, I can give you that, I'll admit it. But does every single building in Gotham City have to look like a freakin' haunted house?! It looks like a Tim Burton set, not an actual place where anyone could be.

But its Gotham!
Figserello said:
JeffCarter said:

But its Gotham!

Yeah, I agree...Gotham really should look...well...gothic.
Doc Beechler said:
Figserello said:
JeffCarter said:

But its Gotham!

Yeah, I agree...Gotham really should look...well...gothic.

Blech. I agree on some counts, but a not all. I liked the Gotham Central version of Gotham City. It looked gritty, but not the "faux gritty", dark, weirdly twisty way. For instance, I like Arkham Asylum's look. But when all buildings look exactly like Arkham Asylum, it takes something away from it.
It doesn't bother me if Gotham looks different in each book...I like both the gothic and gritty versions...
I read World of New Krypton #4 today, and really like this series a lot. I can't believe I let those two issues sit around for almost two months before reading them. Of course, I get the feeling my stack is full of books like that.

I also read the first two issues worth of the trade for Final Crisis. This is the first I've reread it since it came out, and I have to say it makes a lot more sense now that I know what to look for--and I thought it made sense the first time I read it. I highly recommend a reread to anyone who was left scratching their heads the first time. For those who hated it the first time, I guess I'd just recommend you stick to whatever you're reading right now, to be honest.
I read most of Bone: Stupid, Stupid Rat-Tails at lunch. Seeing Jeff Smith at HeroesCon got me interested in Bone again, and this was recommended as a good read. Lots of fun, and pretty much free-standing; you don't really need to know much about the series to enjoy it.
I also read the latest issue of Superman (which I really enjoyed--especially Mon-El's account of going all over the globe and teaming up with super-heroes all over the planet) and finished up the Azrael miniseries. It was pretty good. The story wasn't quite as good as the art. The story felt more like a pre-cursor than anything else, but the art was beautiful by Frazier Irving. I love that guy's stuff.
The first couple issues in the Chas: The Knowledge TPB, and Volume 2 of Stray Bullets. This is the earliest Stray Bullets I've read. Lapham's art is a bit rougher than later in the series, but the storytelling is the same. Also the first issue of The Unwritten (which I got for free at the DC booth at HeroesCon). Really strong opening, and the Peter Gross art is like Vertigo Old Home Week for me.
Mark Sullivan said:
The first couple issues in the Chas: The Knowledge TPB, and Volume 2 of Stray Bullets. This is the earliest Stray Bullets I've read. Lapham's art is a bit rougher than later in the series, but the storytelling is the same.

Finished both of these. I liked the Chas miniseries a lot. There was just enough Constantine in it to keep it grounded in Hellblazer, and I liked seeing Chas at the center of the action for a change. Really enjoyed the Stray Bullets, too; hadn't read any in awhile.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service